Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Finally some good news in 49er land!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    I would say cousins is top 10. I'd easily pay him top 5.

Jimmy we have no idea. His sample size is too small. But we're thinking about maybe having to pay him top 5 and give a 2nd round for an unknown!
    I'm right there with you, but realistically this does give us even more options. Let's say he plays pretty good but we aren't happy with him, we can franchise him and trade him. Or we can sign him long term with a lot up front and trade him for more that way.

4 options here...he plays very well, and we pay and keep him. He plays pretty well and we franchise him and look at him another year. He plays ok but doesn't fit in, we trade him after we franchise him. He plays like dog **** and we let him go and sign Cousins. So then it's like a second round pick for Cousins at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Makes me wonder what changed and that they were willing to trade him instead.

I mean we all know the success of backup patriot quarterbacks elsewhere in the league
    Hence why I don't want Hoyer back on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    Hopefully Garoppolo is franchise tagged this offseason so he can prove himself on a better Niners squad in 2018. The tag I'm guessing will be around $23 million, and we'll have at least $60 million in cap space available. A benefit of this trade is now we can take Saquon Barkley at 2. Cleveland will almost certainly take a quarterback at 1 being that they essentially traded away Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson.

So for people who are doubting this move would you rather take a 39.6% chance at hitting on a franchise quarterback in the 1st, or trade a 2nd for Garoppolo and have a 44% chance at hitting on a franchise running back?

Franchise Quarterbacks selected in 1st round since 2000: 19

Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Mathew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Sam Bradford, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Deshaun Watson.

Bust quarterbacks selected in 1st round since 2000: 29

Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes, Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quin, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jason Campbell, JP Losman, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, and Chad Pennington.

Teams have a 39.6 % chance of drafting a franchise quarterback in the 1st round of the draft. Obviously it's too early to judge some guys, but just to give a ballpark figure I'm going by what we've seen so far out of a few guys.

Franchise Quarterbacks selected in the 2nd round since 2000: 4

Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, and perhaps Jimmy Garoppolo?

Non-Franchise Quarterbacks selected in the 2nd round since 2000: 16

DeShone Kizer, Christian Hackenberg, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, Colin Kaepernick, Jimmy Clausen, Pat White, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Kellen Clemens, Tavares Jackson, Quincy Carter, and Marques Tuiasosopo.

Teams have a 20% chance of drafting a franchise quarterback in the 2nd round.

Elite running backs drafted in the 1st round since 2000: 19

Ezekiel Elliot, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Doug Martin, Mark Ingram, Duece McCallister, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, DeAngelo Williams, Thomas Jones, Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Leonard Fournette, and Christian McCaffery.

Bust running backs drafted in the 1st round since 2000: 24

Trent Richardson, David Wilson, CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, Michael Bennett, Trung Cannidate, Ron Dayne, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, Josheph Addai, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, William Green, and TJ Duckett.

Teams drafting a running back in the 1st round have a 44% chance of drafting an elite running back in the 1st round.

Your assuming Trubisky & Mahomes are Busts already? Thatís a lot of research, but those 2 canít be on list yet.

Aust is offline BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    Love this move by SF.

I'm a 49er fan now.
    (2/1/2015) (2/5/2017)

HOLY ****

Quote Originally Posted by Aust View Post
    Love this move by SF.

I'm a 49er fan now.
    Nothing wrong with having an opposite conference favorite lol

Iíve been loving watching Smith succeed with the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Aust View Post
    Love this move by SF.

I'm a 49er fan now.
    You say that now but who's gonna be Brady's backup the rest of the season? Hoyer no thank you I'd rather
    have some guy off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Yeah this isn't the same thing lol. They don't have the cap to franchise him and they aren't gonna pay him the money he'll command as a FA to be a backup for a few more years.
    Actually they were willing to pay him. Jimmy G wanted to start though. Various articles are saying the Pats were willing to pay both QB's but Garoppolo wanted to start and asked for a trade.

Brady will probably play 2018 and might even try to finish out his contract in 2019. That means Garoppolo wouldn't start till 2020. I'm not sure the Pats would be able to pay two QB's for two years but again, reports are saying they were open to it.

LOL

Either way, I'm happy. He's not going to light it up this year. Not with this o-line and without time to learn the new offense. He'll play but 2018 will be the real time to evaluate him. We'll still be able to evaluate him this year but it will be on a curve.

The "haters" will cry about it either way. They're not going to give him time to learn the system and wont give the new regime time to fix the o-line. These "fans" should find a different team to root against.

There's NO WAY a team let's their QB of the future go if he's truly the QB of the future. Especially now that they don't have a backup in the active roster.
    They were faced with this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/30/ji...patriots-49ers

If the 9ers tag him, then this might go down as one of the worst trades of all time.
    You should just stop posting at this point.

How is he gonna do well on this team???

The o line is garbage right now ! Like litterally crap!!! Everytime it's a fresh start I have to keep waiting. I hope he does well but I rather have Cousins .

Fan of the move.
    CJ wasnít ready and Hoyer is a toehead.

Iím cool with GM Lynch

This could be a boon of a trade for the 49ers! The jury will still be out on it for quite awhile, but we essentially traded a 2018 2nd round pick (one of which we had 2 of - albeit this will be the higher one) for a 2014 2nd round pick QB who has performed very well in the NFL (in yes, a very small sample size of 2 games).

Jimmy G has huge upside and the 49ers have a considerable amount of time to evaluate him. If he's great, you have an option to franchise him in 2018 to make him earn the big money extension in 2019, or you can lock him up earlier and be done with that glaring hole on our team. If he flames out, you've lost one of your 2nd round picks, but at least you had the balls to go for your franchise cornerstone piece.

We weren't going ANYWHERE without a legit QB fellas. No matter how many flashes of hope we saw with our defense this year, you know they became totally unmotivated with these piss poor offensive showings and that disappointing QB play. Shanny and Lynch didn't want to see that continue, so they took their balls, put them on the table, and made an aggressive, somewhat risky, but very calculated move.

There are so many options the F.O. still has whether Garoppolo pans out or not. It's not a back breaking move if it doesn't work, and we have nowhere to go but up from here regardless. We still have our #1 pick next year, the Saints 2nd rounder, and (2) #3's for goodness sake. We also have enough cap space to pay 4 franchise QB's for a year lol. So, please come back off the ledge if you're freaking out.

Listen, Jim Harbaugh believed in Jimmy G and loved him coming out of college. Shanny also had a great pre-draft evaluation and meeting with him in 2014 when he was Offensive Coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. Garoppolo also balled out against NFL competition when given the chance last year, but unfortunately got hurt very early on during his Brady suspension fill-in/starting QB evaluation with NE. All these factors are good enough for me in trying to bring in a high IQ, good-armed, starting caliber QB, that has excellent vision, pre-snap read ability, and a great demonstration of progression through his reads. Gotta say, way to try and continue to improve this team after an abysmal 0-8 start and some close, heart breaking losses Shanny and Lynch!
    Last edited by Alleyeson49; 10-31-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    How is he gonna do well on this team???

The o line is garbage right now ! Like litterally crap!!! Everytime it's a fresh start I have to keep waiting. I hope he does well but I rather have Cousins .
    By the time he starts, Staley and Brown should be back. It's not NEs line, but it's better than what we saw Sunday

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast