Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Again, we tag Jimmy to find out. To get Cousins and find out, it effects your team for years, good or bad. If Jimmy flops, we can move on to something else next year. If they sign Cousins and he flops, we are essentially forced to work with it. Would you rather be able to rent a car and make sure it works or be forced to finance it and be stuck with it regardless?

It goes beyond these two starts people are focused on. Shanny also scouted him, so it's not just because he played for NE.

NE didn't just give up Jimmy. They wanted to keep him. They turned us down this summer, they moved him when they realized they couldn't keep him because that's the smart move to get something instead of losing a guy outright. I haven't ignored this, I'm pretty sure we already went over it. Montana had his highest INT season one year and then was hurt an entire season the next. So it's not like they just dumped a guy playing like Brady is.

Again, this is why the tag is smart. You're worrying so much about "top money" when it's one year. 115M minus 25M is still 90M. Money is not an issue. 2 games of promise is worth a 1 year trial. 7 games is not going to show if a guy is worth 25-28M.
    Again, no one knows why ne would dump their backup if they actually thought he was the future.

If they thought Jimmy was the guy, no way they let him walk. Do you honestly believe the "we were trying to keep him" line? If he's your guy, you don't let him walk. If they had said "yeah, he's ok, but he's not really our guy", do you think they would get a 2nd pick for him? What did you expect them to say? Even after the trade they're not going to dog him because it's going to hurt future trades with other teams.

Based on your thought process of renting a car, why aren't all players signed to 1 year deals then? If I thought it was my car, I'd be buying it. Would you rather rent a house to see if you like it or buy it? I'd do a walkthrough, hire an inspector (get Jimmy on the field) and then buy it. That's why it's important to get him on the field now so you minimize the costs.

Like edush said, what if he doesn't pan out? Then we're in the same spot now but a year out and we lost a 2nd and out 30 mil or whatever it is. Bad business.

Oh well, game time. Always nice discussing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    Again, no one knows why ne would dump their backup if they actually thought he was the future.

If they thought Jimmy was the guy, no way they let him walk. Do you honestly believe the "we were trying to keep him" line? If he's your guy, you don't let him walk. If they had said "yeah, he's ok, but he's not really our guy", do you think they would get a 2nd pick for him? What did you expect them to say? Even after the trade they're not going to dog him because it's going to hurt future trades with other teams.

Based on your thought process of renting a car, why aren't all players signed to 1 year deals then? If I thought it was my car, I'd be buying it. Would you rather rent a house to see if you like it or buy it? I'd do a walkthrough, hire an inspector (get Jimmy on the field) and then buy it. That's why it's important to get him on the field now so you minimize the costs.

Like edush said, what if he doesn't pan out? Then we're in the same spot now but a year out and we lost a 2nd and out 30 mil or whatever it is. Bad business.

Oh well, game time. Always nice discussing with you.
    Except when teams get "their guy", it's because they expect the current guy to be done. Brady hasn't regressed in the years since they took JG. You can't get rid of Brady when he's still playing like prime Brady. They don't have the cap to keep both. Simple economics. I know NE has played people before but it's fairly evident that they expected Brady to not be this good at this point in time when they drafted JG. Anyone who says they'd trade Brady when he's playing this well is lying.

Most players aren't signed to one year deals because FAs can simply say no and go with a team willing to give them more to ensure they acquire them. Rookies have a scale that prevents it.

So we lost a 2nd, and 25M for a single season. The money comes back to us, and a 2nd is a 2nd. A rookie has the same bust/boom chance, JG at least has time in the system and time in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Except when teams get "their guy", it's because they expect the current guy to be done. Brady hasn't regressed in the years since they took JG. You can't get rid of Brady when he's still playing like prime Brady. They don't have the cap to keep both. Simple economics. I know NE has played people before but it's fairly evident that they expected Brady to not be this good at this point in time when they drafted JG. Anyone who says they'd trade Brady when he's playing this well is lying.

Most players aren't signed to one year deals because FAs can simply say no and go with a team willing to give them more to ensure they acquire them. Rookies have a scale that prevents it.

So we lost a 2nd, and 25M for a single season. The money comes back to us, and a 2nd is a 2nd. A rookie has the same bust/boom chance, JG at least has time in the system and time in the league.
    The 49ers were in this predicament in 1993. They traded their HOF QB, and went with the younger back up. But Bill Walsh/Seifert and Bill Belicheck are different men, with different philosphy.
    2009-2014. 3 World Series Championships, 2 Stanley Cup Championships, 2 NBA Championships, and a Super Bowl Appearance. 3 No-Hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 3 NFC Title Games, Jim Harbaugh, Bruce Bochy, Phil Jackson, Daryl Sutter.

PRESENT: Lakers #2 draft pick (New GM, New President), Giants #2 draft pick (somebody better get fired), 49ers #2 draft pick (New Coach, New GM), LA Kings #11 draft pick (New Coach, New GM)

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    The 49ers were in this predicament in 1993. They traded their HOF QB, and went with the younger back up. But Bill Walsh/Seifert and Bill Belicheck are different men, with different philosphy.
    I think I covered this with nutty, but Montana was not in the same place Brady is. In the three years prior to being let go, he had his most INTs in a season followed by two lost seasons to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    Still think it's stupid to tag someone and pay them when they only have 2 starts.
    I do too but I think it's happened !

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    I do too but I think it's happened !
    Yeah, seems to be discussed quite a bit in the news. Hopefully Jimmy starts this week and tears it up for the rest of the year and then agrees to a long term deal so that all of my *****ing and whining about the whole thing was for not lol

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112