Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    i think his size is def an advantage at PG, but I don't think his game is all about his size/wingspan either to where he'll just be "another guy" if he doesn't play PG. He has great size for a SG also. and not many SG's will have his playmaking skills, or SF's for that matter. he looks like a smart, good basketball player to me. what his position ends up being we'll see.. but I think he's going to be an impact player wherever he plays.
    Good player, yes... a franchise building block, no. His size/wingspan was a big part of him being drafted that high as a PG. That's a big part of his defensive ability as well.
    Last edited by smood999; 10-31-2017 at 02:08 PM.

It's funny to claim a 19 year old is a "horrible ball handler who won't ever be an average PG" when the guy literally has made several one handed bounce passes in transition off his dribble to moving targets and hit them right on the money. I mean c'mon. c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    It's funny to claim a 19 year old is a "horrible ball handler who won't ever be an average PG" when the guy literally has made several one handed bounce passes in transition off his dribble to moving targets and hit them right on the money. I mean c'mon. c'mon.
    By several you mean two (and at least 3 unbelievably stupid turnovers for each one of those), which were nice, but his handles remain horrific. He literally struggles to get the ball up the court. Once his horrific handles become part of the scouting report.... yikes. The Nuggets realized this last night and started sodomizing him in the second half, before Jeff thankfully took him out. There's a reason many in the forum are sugar-coating this fact and talking about how he could be a good player at other positions.
    Last edited by BK Knick5; 10-31-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BK Knick5 View Post
    By several you mean two (and at least 3 unbelievably stupid turnovers for each one of those), which were nice, but his handles remain horrific. He literally struggles to get the ball up the court. Once his horrific handles become part of the scouting report.... yikes. The Nuggets realized this last night and started sodomizing him in the second half, before Jeff thankfully took him out. There's a reason many in the forum are sugar-coating this fact and talking about how he could be a good player at other positions.
    I mean I get what you're saying. But he's 19. These are literally his first games in the league.

He's a different player than DSJ. He just is. Time will tell exactly what we have in him but to peg him as a guy who will never be an "average PG" in the league 1 week into his playing career is jumping the gun a bit I believe.

We wanted to see flashes. He's shown flashes. On D he's shown more than flashes. He came in the Nets game and we were down 10 and all of a sudden our early season turned around and hasn't looked back. Granted that's because of plenty of other factors outside of Frank but he seems like a guy who is going to help a team win games. That counts for a lot in my eyes.

Overraction to seeing him all of a few games. It's dumb to give him high ceiling or low floor - we have to see a whole season of a player this young. What most of us see is his defensive skill, his obvious passing ability, his IQ, and his willingness to shoot the ball even if he is struggling.

To say he will never be an elite ballhandler is dumb. Of course you can improve that. And yeah, maybe he not going to be as quick as Steph Curry but he is 6'5" and probably growing, he doesn't need to be super quick. He'll learn to use his frame and bully his way to the whole.

He should just watch Giannis. Giannis is not overly fast or Steph with the dribble, but he learned to keep defenses honest with a good jump shot and he's just bigger than his matchup. Frank, especially if he continues to grow into his body, may end up having the same scenario happen with him. Use longer frame to create mismatches more than even your talent will. But this will take 3 years to learn. KP just learned the same thing over the summer. Look at him.

Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Overraction to seeing him all of a few games. It's dumb to give him high ceiling or low floor - we have to see a whole season of a player this young. What most of us see is his defensive skill, his obvious passing ability, his IQ, and his willingness to shoot the ball even if he is struggling.

To say he will never be an elite ballhandler is dumb. Of course you can improve that. And yeah, maybe he not going to be as quick as Steph Curry but he is 6'5" and probably growing, he doesn't need to be super quick. He'll learn to use his frame and bully his way to the whole.

He should just watch Giannis. Giannis is not overly fast or Steph with the dribble, but he learned to keep defenses honest with a good jump shot and he's just bigger than his matchup. Frank, especially if he continues to grow into his body, may end up having the same scenario happen with him. Use longer frame to create mismatches more than even your talent will. But this will take 3 years to learn. KP just learned the same thing over the summer. Look at him.
    This. And realistically it's not even watching him over 1 season, more like 3-4 seasons (which I know you mentioned at the end here). But yeah, the kid is 19. He's not going to be a finished product for A WHILE.

I mean I get what you're saying. But he's 19. These are literally his first games in the league.

He's a different player than DSJ. He just is. Time will tell exactly what we have in him but to peg him as a guy who will never be an "average PG" in the league 1 week into his playing career is jumping the gun a bit I believe.

We wanted to see flashes. He's shown flashes. On D he's shown more than flashes. He came in the Nets game and we were down 10 and all of a sudden our early season turned around and hasn't looked back. Granted that's because of plenty of other factors outside of Frank but he seems like a guy who is going to help a team win games. That counts for a lot in my eyes.

I understand he's 19, but the problem is we're talking about his handles here. Which are one of the few areas of the game that players just don't improve upon, at least not significantly. His handles are plain and simple ****, they are not NBA level handles. This is what they are and this is what they'll be. I just wish the front office had drafted someone who'd be able to do something as simple as competently handle the ball.

I understand he's 19, but the problem is we're talking about his handles here. Which are one of the few areas of the game that players just don't improve upon, at least not significantly. His handles are plain and simple ****, they are not NBA level handles. This is what they are and this is what they'll be. I just wish the front office had drafted someone who'd be able to do something as simple as competently handle the ball.
    Steph Curry...

Handle can be improved, especially at 19... and Frank has the work ethic. and again, just because he doesn't have the best handle doesn't mean he can't be a damn good NBA player.

Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post

To say he will never be an elite ballhandler is dumb. Of course you can improve that.

Name one. Name one who went from barely being able to get the ball up the court to elite.

Steph Curry...

Handle can be improved, especially at 19... and Frank has the work ethic. and again, just because he doesn't have the best handle doesn't mean he can't be a damn good NBA player.
    Steph's handle did get better, but it went from very good to great.

Name one. Name one who went from barely being able to get the ball up the court to elite.
    I think thats a stretch. He gets the ball up the court and has decent court vision. He's just making a lot of rookie mistakes, which is to be expected. Overall, Ive been pretty happy with him. My biggest complaint (and this isn't me trashing him) is that I want to see him attack the rim more and either score or dish it to the open man. I feel like he's been too complacent with just running the offense and not picking his spots when the opportunity presents itself. Thats going to be the difference between him becoming an elite PG or just an average one. Thats going to take time as he will have to learn the offense, read how the defense is playing him, and then attack.

Also, can we stop with the statistical arguments... If thats the case The Greek Freak would have been "trash" if you looked at his stat line in his rookie season and he's going to be in the MVP mix for many years to come. Lets give Frank his time to develop and just enjoy it.

Steph Curry...

Steph's handle did get better, but it went from very good to great.
    Yeah, I'm trying to think of an example and I don't think Curry applies. His handle got better, but it wasn't drastic.

Before the draft I said that a Kawhi Leonard situation is rare and that most players usually just improve on whatever offensive skillsets they already possess coming in. Outside of shooting, the tools are typically there and they just kinda sharpen them and put it together. I don't know if we already know what's in Frank's toolbox yet though. He hasn't played a lot and he hasn't found a rhythm yet. Give it time.

I may not be able to find an example of someone drastically improving their handles, but I don't think his handles are that bad. I think he more lacks the creativity, confidence, and athleticism (which all can be improved) to get by a defender.
    Last edited by smood999; 10-31-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to think of an example and I don't think Curry applies. His handle got better, but it wasn't drastic.
    it was definitely drastic... now he had a good handle when he first came in, but he worked on it and went from good to amazing and maybe tops in the league.

it was definitely drastic... now he had a good handle when he first came in, but he worked on it and went from good to amazing and maybe tops in the league.
    It really wasn't...if you watched him since college, you would realize that he has been doing this for a very long time. It was more of just adjusting to the NBA speed. We started seeing it during the second half of his rookie season...then he dealt with the bad ankle for a bit and then was finally healthy and took off. Nothing about his game was drastic, it was just always a question of if he could do it at the NBA level.

Well the level that he reached was surprising...never expected him to be on track to be one of the best PGs ever. The way he's doing it is not shocking though.

Page 4 of 108 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast