Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Smith Jr is avg 11.3/5.7/3.0 in 28.2mpg
    Frank is avg 4.8/2.5/1.8 in 15.5 mpg

I would say there is not a huge difference in the O #s ...neither standing out - Smith Jr better (as expected)...Frank better on D(also as expected) - way too early to label either guy a stud or Bust - completely different players.

guess it depends whether you like Flash and O more than you like IQ and D as to who you like more.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by bofakop View Post

I would say there is not a huge difference in the O #s ...neither standing out - Smith Jr better (as expected)...Frank better on D(also as expected) - way too early to label either guy a stud or Bust - completely different players.

guess it depends whether you like Flash and O more than you like IQ and D as to who you like more.
    Spot on assessment. To each his own. Each type of player has their benefit. My feeling is that with KP and THJ, you have to guys who are dynamic style scorers. I will not be shocked if we end up with a high level SF after this year and that would leave us with 3 guys who can score and of course Kanter/Willy/Q who can also all score.
    To me, a high IQ distributor, who plays good D is the way to go.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Spot on assessment. To each his own. Each type of player has their benefit. My feeling is that with KP and THJ, you have to guys who are dynamic style scorers. I will not be shocked if we end up with a high level SF after this year and that would leave us with 3 guys who can score and of course Kanter/Willy/Q who can also all score.
    agreed, before Durant the Warriors won with 2 scorers + Dray.

We have one scorer for sure... THJR could be that 2nd guy, or him & Kanter could be two guys for that role... Frank can be our versatile defensive stopper/playmaker.

my occasional dyslexia made me think you were talking about JR Smith here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Frank is a pretty unique player. His defense is already borderline elite and he shows good composure on the offensive end. His shot is sound as is his decision making. In order to be a difference maker he will have to start creating off the dribble, though. If he can sort that out, that can raise his ceiling from solid starter to potential star.
    I completely agree with this. This is exactly how I view Frank right now. It all comes down to if he is eventually able to create off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    It's posts like these...

Everyone says Frank is only 19, be patient.

Smith has flashed more than almost any rookie outside of Tatum, Fox and Markkenen, is starting and is averaging 11 and 6 and he's trash?

Compare that to what Frank is doing at the same age. There is such a double standard just because Frank is in a Knicks uniform. Everyone in Dallas is pleased with him and for good reason, yet from the outside looking in we look at some numbers and say he's trash. What do you think people think of Frank then?

Smith has played 6 games this season:

16/10/3 50%

10/1/6 27%

19/5/1 66%

9/9/3 28%

12/8/2 41%

2/1/3 14% (only played 17 min in a blowout loss)

What more do you expect from a rookie 19 year old? If Frank flashed that much, we would all be ecstatic. Smith's only issue seems to be consistency, which is what most rookies go through.

I can't say Frank can't break down a defense, but we can call one of the better rookies in the league trash...smh.

No one has brought him up because it's beating a dead horse, but posts like these is just encouraging people to keep it going.

The reason why you would pair him with DSJ is so he can have help...another person that can break down a defense that is just as good of a passer. You're basically saying let KP do all the work and just have some shooters around him. That won't work.
    They are different players. I never expected Frank to be an offensive force at PG so I'm not gonna compare his production to DSJ like that is the equal barometer for each. DSJ is supposed to be the explosive scorer/creator catapulting the offense. That said, I think DSJ is gonna be very good but I question if he is gonna be the type of high octane talent with injuries, attitude problems, turns the ball over that seems to never figure out a winning formula for his game and gets phased out before he is 30. It's not like we don't see that all the time in this league.

I said DSJ has been trash, not that he is trash. Offensively, you could say Frank has been trash too if you wanted to, but everyone knew he was drafted for his defense before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Agreed... if this team could add a good 2 way SF I think we would be well on our way to a quick rebuild. We really don't have a legit SF on this team..Lee and Thjr can do it for short periods but they are not long term answers at that position.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Agreed... if this team could add a good 2 way SF I think we would be well on our way to a quick rebuild. We really don't have a legit SF on this team..Lee and Thjr can do it for short periods but they are not long term answers at that position.
    Doug is looking solid. And solid on both ends.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickNyKnick View Post
    my occasional dyslexia made me think you were talking about JR Smith here lol

we dont know what Frank is yet, he may very well end up being a SG who can also play some PG. He doens't HAVE to be a PG.

heck he could be a SF with his wingspan once he gets stronger.

Dray Green is 6'7 and plays PF/C. height isn't as important as build/defensive IQ/wingspan.

Maybe THJR becomes a 6th man and Frank becomes a starting SG.

so many possibilities, but I'm confident Frank is going to be a very good guard/wing player for us, a glue guy that every team needs.

maybe our PG will have to come from somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    They are different players. I never expected Frank to be an offensive force at PG so I'm not gonna compare his production to DSJ like that is the equal barometer for each. DSJ is supposed to be the explosive scorer/creator catapulting the offense. That said, I think DSJ is gonna be very good but I question if he is gonna be the type of high octane talent with injuries, attitude problems, turns the ball over that seems to never figure out a winning formula for his game and gets phased out before he is 30. It's not like we don't see that all the time in this league.

I said DSJ has been trash, not that he is trash. Offensively, you could say Frank has been trash too if you wanted to, but everyone knew he was drafted for his defense before anything else.
    The things you are criticizing DSJ for (bad attitude, etc.) he hasn't shown that. Could it have been the product of a bad locker room, being 18 and having the burden of carrying a team, and the coach that recruited you getting fired before the end of the season? I think that would all make sense if that's the case.

John Hollinger always pointed out that a high turnover ratio is a good thing for a rookie. He actually used that to predict that Westbrook would be better than Rose and OJ Mayo...

Westbrook also is the youngest of the three, the best defender and the only one who had to change positions upon arriving in the NBA. All of which suggests he's only scratching the surface of his potential -- as does the fact that he has a higher turnover ratio than the other two, which, in a paradoxical twist of logic, is actually a good thing for a rookie. Historically, those with high turnover rates have had much higher rates of improvement in subsequent seasons.

So 12 months from now, don't be surprised if we're calling Westbrook the top guard from this rookie class.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/columns/stor...ictions-090107

I'm not worried about DSJ's turnovers at all. They were to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    we dont know what Frank is yet, he may very well end up being a SG who can also play some PG. He doens't HAVE to be a PG.

heck he could be a SF with his wingspan once he gets stronger.

Dray Green is 6'7 and plays PF/C. height isn't as important as build/defensive IQ/wingspan.

Maybe THJR becomes a 6th man and Frank becomes a starting SG.

so many possibilities, but I'm confident Frank is going to be a very good guard/wing player for us, a glue guy that every team needs.

maybe our PG will have to come from somewhere else...
    I think ideally we want him playing PG. That's where his true advantage is. Him having to play another position is a blow to his value. What makes him potentially special is being a 6'5" PG with a 7' wingspan. He moves up positions and he ends up just another guy.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I think ideally we want him playing PG. That's where his true advantage is. Him having to play another position is a blow to his value. What makes him potentially special is being a 6'5" PG with a 7' wingspan. He moves up positions and he ends up just another guy.
    i think his size is def an advantage at PG, but I don't think his game is all about his size/wingspan either to where he'll just be "another guy" if he doesn't play PG. He has great size for a SG also. and not many SG's will have his playmaking skills, or SF's for that matter. he looks like a smart, good basketball player to me. what his position ends up being we'll see.. but I think he's going to be an impact player wherever he plays.

First off, welcome everyone! Long time lurker (lurked for years) second time poster. Honestly people on here overrating the **** out of Frank is what pushed me to create an account.

His handles are absolutely horrific and he can barely bring the ball up the court let alone run the PG position effectively. I saw people advocating having him start, in which case I can assure everyone here we would be 0-6. Our biggest need this offseason was acquiring a PG and we've totally failed at drafting one. Frank's abysmal handles and lack of speed (which are not things that improve drastically over the course of a players career) preclude him from ever becoming an average starting PG let alone a good one. Jarrett Jack is currently 34, and while he has played well we can't have him 30+ min on b2bs. But because we drafted a "PG" who is quite possibly the worst guard ball-handler on the team that's what we are forced to do. Our biggest need right now is a starting PG or at least a Jack level one so they can split the minutes. Understand that if we ended up drafting DSJ he would have been starting from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by BK Knick5 View Post
    First off, welcome everyone! Long time lurker (lurked for years) second time poster. Honestly people on here overrating the **** out of Frank is what pushed me to create an account.

His handles are absolutely horrific and he can barely bring the ball up the court let alone run the PG position effectively. I saw people advocating having him start, in which case I can assure everyone here we would be 0-6. Our biggest need this offseason was acquiring a PG and we've totally failed at drafting one. Frank's abysmal handles and lack of speed (which are not things that improve drastically over the course of a players career) preclude him from ever becoming an average starting PG let alone a good one. Jarrett Jack is currently 34, and while he has played well we can't have him 30+ min on b2bs. But because we drafted a "PG" who is quite possibly the worst guard ball-handler on the team that's what we are forced to do. Our biggest need right now is a starting PG or at least a Jack level one so they can split the minutes. Understand that if we ended up drafting DSJ he would have been starting from day one.
    Comin in hot!

Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast