Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Week 3 Game Thread: 10/30 Vs. PHI, 11/1 @ NYK, 11/3 @ ATL

Week 3 Schedule

10/30 Vs. 76ers 8:00PM EST

11/1 @ Knicks 8:00PM EST ESPN

11/3 @ Hawks 7:30PM EST

I was on my honeymoon last week so I didn't get to see everything but WTF is up with the GRIZZ.

This should be 3 wins this week but Philly played us close last week I saw and last year we kept losing to the stupid hawks. Knicks just beat Cavs. lol

I won't be happy unless these are all 10 plus point wins.

Any cp3 news?

Quote Originally Posted by Htownballa1622 View Post
    I was on my honeymoon last week so I didn't get to see everything but WTF is up with the GRIZZ.

This should be 3 wins this week but Philly played us close last week I saw and last year we kept losing to the stupid hawks. Knicks just beat Cavs. lol

I won't be happy unless these are all 10 plus point wins.

Any cp3 news?
    Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Congrats.
    Thanks. It was amazing but couldn't watch any live sporting events.
    Hope I can see first world series victory tomorrow night.

Thanks. It was amazing but couldn't watch any live sporting events.
    Hope I can see first world series victory tomorrow night.

She wasn't on board with the "let's postpone the wedding so I don't miss the World Series" idea, huh? Look at the bright side. You'll never forget the year you got married because it's the same year the Astros won its (first) World Series.

Seriously though, congrats dude.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

So, after a crazy busy weekend, with the most amazing World Series ever going on, Bob McNair pissing everybody off and Bill O'Brien losing us yet another game because of playcalling late in the game, because he has no balls apparently, the Rockets dropped two games against the Grizzlies (again) and the Sixers. Thank God for the Astros.

The Rockets have not played well. Paul being out obviously hurts, but that's still a very similar team to the one that won 55 games last season. They're not pushing the pace (currently 20th in the league), they're not running the floor (23rd in fastbreak points, and they're 18th in opponent fastbreak points), and they're also bottom-5 in points off TOs. And on top of that, they're shooting under 31% from three, good 3rd worst in the league, and they're 23rd in the league in points in the paint. If you're the Houston Rockets, and you're averaging less than 100 possessions a game, you're not making threes and you're not scoring in the paint, where the hell will the points come from?

Harden needs to play better. He's putting up the numbers, but he hasn't been nearly as good and dominant as he was last year. He's been sluggish and way too careless with the ball (even for his standards).

Ariza has looked like a dead body out there. But you know him, and he'll pick it up at some point and have a great stretch and it will seem like he's been shootind lights out forever.

I'll stop praising Anderson's defense at some point, but not now. He shut down Marc Gasol every chance he got Saturday night. Blocked two of his shots. He also did better than anyone else defending Embiid for a couple of possessions last night. I did not see this coming. And he seemed to find his stroke from downtown in the three games prior to last night.

Finally, I'm glad that D'Antoni went with an 8-man rotation with Gordon and Ariza both healthy. They obviously lost the game, but Bobby Brown was horrible against Memphis. And he wasn't better against the Hornets either, despite some fans praising his game. He took 13(!) shots Saturday night. Made 4 of them,

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post

She wasn't on board with the "let's postpone the wedding so I don't miss the World Series" idea, huh? Look at the bright side. You'll never forget the year you got married because it's the same year the Astros won its (first) World Series.

Seriously though, congrats dude.
    Haha. Thanks man.

Yeah I saw highlights but there wasn't any live sporting events happening for me. Haha

I HOPE stros pull it off tonight! We need it.

Rox looked sluggish yesterday 4sure. Every run we made and Sixers answered. Simmons hit a bunch of midrange shots in first half and they always had timely 3s.

I felt if capela didn't try that 360 layup off the no look from harden,we end up winning the game. Momentum was ours but they just ran out of gas.

With cp3 out it stinks that we STILL only have 2 playmakers and when James was in w/o Gordon he looked very frustrated that he had to initiate all the offense.

I miss bev(for games like that).

Haha. Thanks man.

Yeah I saw highlights but there wasn't any live sporting events happening for me. Haha
    If it helps, aside from obviously baseball, you didn't miss anything. Deshaun Watson was unbelievable again, but O'Brien screwed all up in the end.

I HOPE stros pull it off tonight! We need it.

Rox looked sluggish yesterday 4sure. Every run we made and Sixers answered. Simmons hit a bunch of midrange shots in first half and they always had timely 3s.

I felt if capela didn't try that 360 layup off the no look from harden,we end up winning the game. Momentum was ours but they just ran out of gas.

With cp3 out it stinks that we STILL only have 2 playmakers and when James was in w/o Gordon he looked very frustrated that he had to initiate all the offense.

I miss bev(for games like that).
    The start of this season really reminds me of the start of the 16-17 season. Beverley missed the first 11 games, and the Rockets went only 6-5 during that stretch. Then Beverley came back and injected some life with much-needed energy. The Rockets won 25 of their next 29 games.

I even saw some numbers comparing this season's first 8 games to last year's first 8 games, and they're very similar. The Rockets are playing better defense this season, but their offense slowed down a bit. But the Net rating is pretty much the same.

CP3's return should result in a similar impact.

He was in uniform Saturday Night, by the way, but was ruled out, and then back to street clothes last night.

If it helps, aside from obviously baseball, you didn't miss anything. Deshaun Watson was unbelievable again, but O'Brien screwed all up in the end.

The start of this season really reminds me of the start of the 16-17 season. Beverley missed the first 11 games, and the Rockets went only 6-5 during that stretch. Then Beverley came back and injected some life with much-needed energy. The Rockets won 25 of their next 29 games.

I even saw some numbers comparing this season's first 8 games to last year's first 8 games, and they're very similar. The Rockets are playing better defense this season, but their offense slowed down a bit. But the Net rating is pretty much the same.

CP3's return should result in a similar impact.

He was in uniform Saturday Night, by the way, but was ruled out, and then back to street clothes last night.
    I heard that but wasn't sure.

That's awesome. I cant wait to see him back out there.

Good point about start. I feel like our schedule has been kinda light to start but hopefully we start clicking soon. Knicks always bring out a big Harden game.

Finally got to watch the Rockets-Knicks game (I was kind of busy Wednesday night )

I realize this may not be a popular opinion among Rockets fans, but I'm very disappointed with Harden's play this season. I know it's early, but he has looked much more like the 15-16 non-All-NBA team version of him than the 16-17 should-have-been-MVP version. The numbers are there, but the effort is nowhere to be found. He's been super lazy, waaay to careless with the ball, and he hasn't been shooting the ball well at all. I can't stand watching him bricking all those threes instead of just moving the ball to find the open man.

The timing of this "rant" might seem odd after an easy win on the road against a team on a 3-game winning streak, with Harden leading the way with 31 and 9, but he was horrible during the entire first half. The Rockets actually built a comfortable lead with Harden on the bench, and Gordon leading the way. And even when he was on the court, the Rockets were at their best with Eric running the point. He exploded for 19 in the third, but the Knicks were pretty much out of the game midway through the quarter.

He's also been pretty bad defensively until the end of close games, which is fine in my opinion, but those games should be that close to begin with.

I hope getting CP3 back at some point results in a positive impact on Harden. Or maybe I'm just wrong, and I shouldn't be concerned with October/early November regular season games.

One more thought:

Astros win the World Series on one day, Deshaun Watson tears his ACL during practice the next. That's the most "Houston sports" thing ever.

Finally got to watch the Rockets-Knicks game (I was kind of busy Wednesday night )

I realize this may not be a popular opinion among Rockets fans, but I'm very disappointed with Harden's play this season. I know it's early, but he has looked much more like the 15-16 non-All-NBA team version of him than the 16-17 should-have-been-MVP version. The numbers are there, but the effort is nowhere to be found. He's been super lazy, waaay to careless with the ball, and he hasn't been shooting the ball well at all. I can't stand watching him bricking all those threes instead of just moving the ball to find the open man.

The timing of this "rant" might seem odd after an easy win on the road against a team on a 3-game winning streak, with Harden leading the way with 31 and 9, but he was horrible during the entire first half. The Rockets actually built a comfortable lead with Harden on the bench, and Gordon leading the way. And even when he was on the court, the Rockets were at their best with Eric running the point. He exploded for 19 in the third, but the Knicks were pretty much out of the game midway through the quarter.

He's also been pretty bad defensively until the end of close games, which is fine in my opinion, but those games should be that close to begin with.

I hope getting CP3 back at some point results in a positive impact on Harden. Or maybe I'm just wrong, and I shouldn't be concerned with October/early November regular season games.
    Yeah. I haven't been able to catch much Rockets action because of the Astros so far this season, but what little game time I have witnessed, I feel like Harden has been really bipolar. But in his defense, SO much of the offense is having to run through him right now without Paul or Beverley. I still don't understand why Morey hasn't added a quality veteran point guard on this team, because it desperately needs it.

That still doesn't excuse all of his head-scratching turnovers every night. But if there's a silver lining here, it's that the Rockets are essentially tied for the best record in the West even though they haven't played especially well and six of their nine games have been on the road.

One more thought:

Astros win the World Series on one day, Deshaun Watson tears his ACL during practice the next. That's the most "Houston sports" thing ever.
    Those were my exact thoughts when I found out yesterday as well. The basketball gods couldn't let us have 24 full hours to be happy. Regardless, as bummed as I was about the injury, Watson had a stellar rookie season and they'll be a much better team next year with Watt and Merciless back and (hopefully) the issues on the o-line and secondary addressed.