Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    Real New Yorkers wouldn't put that date in an online screen name.
    Where are you getting the idea that he is a New Yorker?

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Where are you getting the idea that he is a New Yorker?
    You're right, that was an assumption. He could be another middle America bumpkin who uses the memory of 9/11 to feel patriotic without understanding a thing about it. We New Yorkers are used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    As an Asian-American (Chinese), I'm going to put my two cents in. The people who are saying that what he did wasn't offensive aren't Asian or just naive. Gurriel also called Darvish "Chinito" which translates to "Chinese boy." Darvish isn't even Chinese. So not only is Gurriel a racist, he's a stupid one at that. He should have been suspended for the remainder of the World Series along with the 5 games next season. Manfred has no idea what he was talking about when he said that he didn't want to punish his teammates for Gurriel's mistake. This is a team sport. If a running back fumbles the ball that costs his team the game, not only does he pay for it, but his entire team does.
    You do realize that many Hispanics call chinito anybody that’s Asian. It’s not meant to be racist, what he said was not racist, what he did with his hands was ignorant and will pay a price for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essentially a hispanic can say un “blankito” or in “negrito” in talking about a white or black person. It does not mean they are insulting them, just describing them. Also blacks and whites come from many different countries, so again is essentially just a way to describe a person.

You're right, that was an assumption. He could be another middle America bumpkin who uses the memory of 9/11 to feel patriotic without understanding a thing about it. We New Yorkers are used to that.
    Oh, brother.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Do NYers have a copyright on 9/11? Pretty sure others were effected and have some understanding of it.

People from 'middle America' are bumpkins?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Do we know there's not a history between these two from when Darvish pitched against the Astros more often as a Ranger? Not excusing it, just wondering if there's another layer.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

"middle America bumpkin" seems pretty insensitive and prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    You do realize that many Hispanics call chinito anybody that’s Asian. It’s not meant to be racist, what he said was not racist, what he did with his hands was ignorant and will pay a price for it.

Calling a Japanese/Iraqi man "Chinaman" isn't racist?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Again you have to understand that most Hispanics call most asians Chinese or “chinito” basically to describe them just on the appearance of their eyes. It’s not meant to be racist as I mention earlier. When a hispanic calls a white man “blanquito” or a black man “negrito” is just a way to describe them based on their color of their skin.

I don’t think Gurriel knows the dude was half Iraqi and half Japanese, he could of easily just though he was Chinese. Which makes him a bit ignorant, but not a racist.

Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    "middle America bumpkin" seems pretty insensitive and prejudice.
    It's not like the coastal elites haven't called middle America "fly over country" for decades. And it seems like people in big coastal cities are only pretending to care about these states since Trump won. If in 2020 the Dems win they'll probably go right back to trash talking that part of the country as "bumpkins" again.
    But this isn't the politics thread, so w/e

He's Persian (Iran) not Iraqi.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    It's not like the coastal elites haven't called middle America "fly over country" for decades. And it seems like people in big coastal cities are only pretending to care about these states since Trump won. If in 2020 the Dems win they'll probably go right back to trash talking that part of the country as "bumpkins" again.
    But this isn't the politics thread, so w/e
    I was just being sarcastic because what ODB said in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I was just being sarcastic because what ODB said in this thread.
    O.K. got ya.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast