Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bills trade Marcel Darius

No word on what we got back. Would be nice to get Hurns, lee or Fournette, (jk)

I’m hearing undisclosed draft pick only a 6th. Ouch.
    Last edited by sabres11; 10-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Really hoped we'd get something back. His contribution to this team was certainly not worth his cap hit though. Spend that money on a receiver and OL plz.

I'd much rather spend on offensive players. Controlling the ball > playing defence. So much of defence is scheme and fit.

Multiple problems off the field and a terrible contract. Not in the least bit disappointed he's gone.

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013 • 2015

Big mistake to give him or any DT that kind of money. Unfortunately, they do not save that much money by trading him -- $5M this year and only $2M next. They're still paying the majority of his salary until after next season.

Next year they still will have more than 90 million to spend against the cap. In the grand scheme of things, this was the best move for the team. Let’s hope he he violates the substance abuse policy in Jax. He will get a year plus suspension and his contract the Bills are paying becomes exempt.

I heard a deal with the cowboys was in the works as well. Don’t know if they backed off or if Jax offer was better. But in the end, he will just be added to another first round failure of the old regime that never came close to living up to the potential they thought he had.

He was pretty damn good for a couple years. Seemed to pack it in once he signed that contract. I'm really not a fan of big contracts for defensive players.

Ever since we drafted Marcel, he was always lazy and slow. Again, his draft position makes people think differently about his performance, but he truly never did anything special on Sundays, that made him remotely deserving of that contract. Marcel benefited, like so many other players did, of Doug Whaley's complete idiocy. We are winning now, because all of the former regimes players are all gone.

Didnt he have a 10+ sack season as a DT? pretty rare. he was a big part of those 2 seasons where we had an absolutely dominant Dline (before rex). Total waste of cap using a pass rusher like that as a NT in the 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Didnt he have a 10+ sack season as a DT? pretty rare. he was a big part of those 2 seasons where we had an absolutely dominant Dline (before rex). Total waste of cap using a pass rusher like that as a NT in the 3-4.
    Look at Lorenzo Alexander. Never had more than one sack for any team, comes here at 34 years of age and looks like Bruce Smith his first year. Crap happens. But what never happened was us fans saying, "wow, we won that game because of Marcel". Von Miller was drafted right before him. Fans can easily point out to 20+ games they would have lost if it wasn't for him, including the Super Bowl. Marcel was never a great player on the field. A few years ago, maybe you can say he was good, but we can never look back at his history here and say he was great.

Within a year, my guess is he will be suspended for a year for violating the drug policy again. You will look forever, in search of finding a player in the NFL with 2 strikes, who kept it clean after that. They always violate. And now that Marcel is playing in year long 80 degree party weather, with nightclubs and everything else. He wont stay clean.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Look at Lorenzo Alexander. Never had more than one sack for any team, comes here at 34 years of age and looks like Bruce Smith his first year. Crap happens. But what never happened was us fans saying, "wow, we won that game because of Marcel". Von Miller was drafted right before him. Fans can easily point out to 20+ games they would have lost if it wasn't for him, including the Super Bowl. Marcel was never a great player on the field. A few years ago, maybe you can say he was good, but we can never look back at his history here and say he was great.

Within a year, my guess is he will be suspended for a year for violating the drug policy again. You will look forever, in search of finding a player in the NFL with 2 strikes, who kept it clean after that. They always violate. And now that Marcel is playing in year long 80 degree party weather, with nightclubs and everything else. He wont stay clean.
    Dareus was one of the top DTs in the league for a few seasons...sorry to break it to you.

I'm fine with them trading him and don't think he should've gotten that contract, but he was that good at a point.

Darius had one season to hang his hat on and that was it. He was suspended twice, slow as hell and we will never hear anything from him again, just like Watkins and the rest of Whaley’s mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Darius had one season to hang his hat on and that was it. He was suspended twice, slow as hell and we will never hear anything from him again, just like Watkins and the rest of Whaley’s mistakes.
    Most would disagree. Players don't command a contract that size because of one season. If Buffalo didn't give it to him, other teams would have. I just don't agree with that price tag for a DT.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Most would disagree. Players don't command a contract that size because of one season. If Buffalo didn't give it to him, other teams would have. I just don't agree with that price tag for a DT.
    Have you not watched as Whaley and Nix gave out big contracts to everyone. Did you also forget Marcell was drafted in 2011 and the Bills, nor the fans, have not seen anything of him in 4 years. 4 years ago, 10 sacks, the only time in his career. The last 3 seasons combined, 6 sacks, no turnovers and RBs ran right through him for 200 yards a game averaging about 3 tackles per game. Again, we will miss him as much as we miss the other mistakes that Whaley drafted, and still not performing for new teams.

Comparing stats between a passrushing OLB and a DT relegated to NT is not really fair. Im sure Von would agree.

Outside of Suh, Sapp and Co. there is a very limited number of DT that have put up 10 sacks. Our entire Dline fell apart when Rex got here but prior it was DOMINANT. best line in the league. Comparable to the Dline that won the Giants their first recent championship. If we had a better qb than orton then that would have been the year. The fit along with all of the other things you mentioned turned him into a roleplayer. He reminds me of hanesworth. The guy needs to be in a 4-3 and be relied on to pressure the QB. i doubt he ever gets 10 sacks again because as mentioned that is a historic number for a DT, but i bet he assumes a bigger and better-suited-to-him role in Jax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast