Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 258

Thread: Officiating

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I mentioned that and he said itís all about the intent. Did you try to go for the ball is the first thing to ask, then was it excessive.
    In the NBA there is nothing about intent on the ball.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    29,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    There is nothing in the rules about going for the ball. It's about excessive contact.

    I commented in the game thread that from 2nd OT on the refs were nearly not calling anything.

    It was the 2nd poorly officiated game in two days.
    How can contact be excessive if you are going for the ball? You are trying not make contact with the person. Does it become excessive based on the amount muscle on a guy's forearm? Ron Baker and David West have different size forearms. Its a stupid rule and you can only hope the officials ignore it as much as possible. Kodus to the refs for not deciding the game with a BS call.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    How can contact be excessive if you are going for the ball? You are trying not make contact with the person. Does it become excessive based on the amount muscle on a guy's forearm? Ron Baker and David West have different size forearms. Its a stupid rule and you can only hope the officials ignore it as much as possible. Kodus to the refs for not deciding the game with a BS call.
    If you hit someone on the arm it's a foul. If you wind up and hammer them as hard as possible and follow through and throw them into the stands it's going to be a flagrant. In neither case was "an attempt made on the ball". It's a judgement call of the refs ... this year they appear to be officiating any head/face contact as excessive.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    29,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you hit someone on the arm it's a foul. If you wind up and hammer them as hard as possible and follow through and throw them into the stands it's going to be a flagrant. In neither case was "an attempt made on the ball". It's a judgement call of the refs ... this year they appear to be officiating any head/face contact as excessive.
    I thought he was referring to the play at the end of the sixers game where Joel made a play on the ball and ininvertently hit Roberson in the head. The ref missed the foul call in no way was or should it have been called flagrant


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    45,530
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I thought he was referring to the play at the end of the sixers game where Joel made a play on the ball and ininvertently hit Roberson in the head. The ref missed the foul call in no way was or should it have been called flagrant


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I talked about that one being a missed call.

    Iím talking about 3rd Q when Embiid went for the dunk and Jerami Grant fouled him by double grabbing Embiids right biceps and pulled.

    PROCESSING

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    portland,or via You'n'g'sTown,ohio
    Posts
    2,464
    havent watched more than like 10 games all season,but i thought they were going to be more mindful when offensive players initiate the contact...thus far,i havent seen a difference...that in my mind is the problem with the nba
    ....coooookie

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by krazylegz View Post
    havent watched more than like 10 games all season,but i thought they were going to be more mindful when offensive players initiate the contact...thus far,i havent seen a difference...that in my mind is the problem with the nba
    It's definitely better ... but a really small amount better. What they are doing is not counting the shot after a rip through some of the time.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    45,530

    PROCESSING

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    4,473
    Refs were actually calling techs and fouls on the Warriors in the....FIRST QUARTER. An exciting game ruined by the zebras. Durant fouled Wade and LeBron. Should have had at least 5 fouls.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Honestly, the NBA really has to fix the rules. Offensive players create contact all over the place and the automatic foul is against the defense. Defenders have equal right to occupied space as an offensive player ... any contact created by the offensive player should be a no-call or an offensive foul.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    7,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Interesting that the NBA reviewed and said that Durant fouled LeBron 3 times in the closing minutes.

    I didn't even watch the game (god I'm hating Christmas more each year) because of family ****, but it looks like the Cavs benefited from some calls early on and the Warriors benefited at the end of the game.

    I imagine that the end of a close game, Christmas day, in a loud freaking arena led to the officials swallowing their whistles - I really, really hate that they allow home court to influence that. We'll see if the officials do the same thing for the Cavs in Cleveland if the game is close at the end.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    45,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Honestly, the NBA really has to fix the rules. Offensive players create contact all over the place and the automatic foul is against the defense. Defenders have equal right to occupied space as an offensive player ... any contact created by the offensive player should be a no-call or an offensive foul.
    This isn't even a "fixing" a rule thing. That's just not a foul. Simmons was on the ground long before the Knick player went for the rebound. It's just a no call.

    PROCESSING

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    This isn't even a "fixing" a rule thing. That's just not a foul. Simmons was on the ground long before the Knick player went for the rebound. It's just a no call.
    The refs are interpreting the rules in a way that it doesn't matter what the defender does, if there is "illegal contact" they are just calling the foul on the defender. I agree that that should not have been a foul, it should have been a no-call ... but in general I think the rule or the interpretation of the rule is broken.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    19,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Interesting that the NBA reviewed and said that Durant fouled LeBron 3 times in the closing minutes.

    I didn't even watch the game (god I'm hating Christmas more each year) because of family ****, but it looks like the Cavs benefited from some calls early on and the Warriors benefited at the end of the game.

    I imagine that the end of a close game, Christmas day, in a loud freaking arena led to the officials swallowing their whistles - I really, really hate that they allow home court to influence that. We'll see if the officials do the same thing for the Cavs in Cleveland if the game is close at the end.
    I don't think it's a home/away thing but rather a "big game" thing. I haven't seen much of a home court advantage with the refs, but they are definitely calling heavily in favor of offense more early in games than late ... and of course, both are broken.

    This year there is an emphasis on a defender going toward a shooter being a foul, but an offensive player can jump into a stationary defender and get a call. The offensive player needs to be protected, but a smart defender who closes out on a shooter and stops short of contact shouldn't be penalized if the offensive player takes up that space just to get a foul call.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

    I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

    The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •