Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Correct me if Iím wrong but it sounds like your against even trying to use technology to even help the refs. Iím all for it. It can be done. My job depends on computers that can do this stuff. It picks up to a chance as little as 0.1 rpm changes.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    So I've been thinking about something to improve officiating for a while now.

Baseball has that camera based program to help with balls and strikes. What if the NBA used the SportVue program for live feedback to track things like OB, 3pt, and last touched by. Give all the ref's a buzzer, and when a player has a toe on the line, steps on the OB line, goes OB off a player, the ref is 'buzzed' and it can even tell them who it's out on.

This would allow the ref's to not have to watch for that stuff and can free them up to watch other things such as contact and travel.
    I like that idea. I'm in favor of replays to get the calls right but sometimes it takes way longer than it should to review. If you could eliminate things from needing to be reviewed using technology like this it would definitely speed things up while still getting calls right. It seems like things like determining if someone stepped out of bounds or whether a foot was on the line for a 3pt shot or not would be relatively easy to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Correct me if Iím wrong but it sounds like your against even trying to use technology to even help the refs. Iím all for it. It can be done. My job depends on computers that can do this stuff. It picks up to a chance as little as 0.1 rpm changes.
    No! I'm the one who brought it up in the first place. I just don't think it's at all easy to manage last touch without some new technology being added to what we have now. There is no reason they can't automatically determine whether a shot was before or after the clock expired, where a shot was taken from, who last touched it, out of bounds, over and back ... all of that seems completely doable.

Your job is easier for computers/sensors to manage because it's a single person with a single critical event. Basketball is WAY WAY more complicated. Lot's more data needed, that's all.

I'd also like to fix traveling with sensors and monitors ... but since humans can't agree on what is and what isn't a travel that may have to wait a while.
    Last edited by Scoots; 05-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
    I like that idea. I'm in favor of replays to get the calls right but sometimes it takes way longer than it should to review. If you could eliminate things from needing to be reviewed using technology like this it would definitely speed things up while still getting calls right. It seems like things like determining if someone stepped out of bounds or whether a foot was on the line for a 3pt shot or not would be relatively easy to implement.
    Just out of curiosity ... they've had the balls/strikes in baseball figured out for years ... should the ump be replaced? I'd be fine with it, but I bet most wouldn't.

Yeah, before we move to computerizing calls, the NBA needs to solidify its own rules. Get rid of interpretation as much as possible with fixed, set-in-stone rules.
    The Baker is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Yeah, before we move to computerizing calls, the NBA needs to solidify its own rules. Get rid of interpretation as much as possible with fixed, set-in-stone rules.
    I would actually like there to be a middle ground for some things. If there is incedental contact on a shot and the ball goes in, just let it go. No need to stop the game for ticky tack touches. Of course that's an advantage for people who are worse shots but in general those fouls where there is hand to wrist contact after the ball is 3 feet away should not be and 1s which they are by a strict interpretation of the rules.

They need to change the stupid goaltending rule where it is only reviewed if it is called goaltending on the floor.

I think those should be automatic reviews if close under 2 minutes and something a coach can challenge other wise
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Officiating is fixed, well according to that ''rogue'' ref who was isolated

Phil Jackson has spoken on this numerous times about officials can control the score / flow of game

I don't care if they have shown improvement, when you are sitting in the stand / at home watching and making calls that the refs turn a blind eye to, its something fishy going on

I get missing a call because of angle, I don't get missing calls smack dead in front of your face live, especially if we can see it from the stands / couch at home

officiating in all sports are shady, its just the nature of how the biz operates, especially with all these games being wagered upon, its all $$$ / ratings driven, regardless of the product

its harder to get away with the secret fixing now because of the lack of true superstars, it was more in abundance back then which masked it better, they create superstars after a good month of play now days, you don't have to do it for 7 - 10yrs any more, social media is the new instant super star creator, rather you have actual true talent or not, just have 1 good solid month and you are either a superstar or lining up for a max or both, see Lowry / Adams / Conley and others for proof, not saying they shouldn't be paid but for 3yrs Lowry is not a 100mill guy, Adams is not and we all know Conley is not nowhere near worth his contract he just inked, Parsons and many others as well

have a good season you are guaranteed max dollars it seems in a contract year

The offensive push-off and pulls and hooks have to be called. All of the best offensive players do it and it's not a valid skill. It needs to stop.

If they are going to call hits to the head as flagrant 1 then that should be the rule 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If they are going to call hits to the head as flagrant 1 then that should be the rule 100% of the time.
    no it shouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    no it shouldn't
    I know you like your quick quips ... but how are they going to judge it then? Because if it's "force" then they are encouraging more of the stupid over-acting that's already making things a mess.

In this hyper-aware environment for head injuries (the argument the NBA used last year for the massive increase in calls for contact to the head), the only sensible way to enforce it is all or nothing. Either all head contact is treated as a bad thing, or you don't make the head a special impact area like they did.

Scoots It should be a flagrant 2/auto ejection 100% of the time. I get your point overall though. Consistency is important

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I know you like your quick quips ... but how are they going to judge it then? Because if it's "force" then they are encouraging more of the stupid over-acting that's already making things a mess.

In this hyper-aware environment for head injuries (the argument the NBA used last year for the massive increase in calls for contact to the head), the only sensible way to enforce it is all or nothing. Either all head contact is treated as a bad thing, or you don't make the head a special impact area like they did.
    I know people using judgement is counter to your lawyery pose but you use judgement. If that leads to some guys trying to sell a call so be it but you donít make a bad rule so you can say see it wasnt a bad call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I know people using judgement is counter to your lawyery pose but you use judgement. If that leads to some guys trying to sell a call so be it but you donít make a bad rule so you can say see it wasnt a bad call.
    Okay, but they can't keep calling it like they have this year where one gentle bump to the head is a flagrant and another is a no-call. If you watch the games the players regularly tell the refs they were hit on the head and the refs just ignore them. The players expect consistency but the rules are not consistent nor is their implementation.

The issue I have with it is that the ways the refs decide the severity of the contact is by how extreme the player getting hit reacts. I find it sad when a 180lb guy is held but doesn't complain and no call, then that 180lb guy touches a 230lb guy who launches himself across the floor and it's a foul.

I guess it all comes back to they need more eyes on the floor.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast