Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Redsox Coaching Staff Change

Brian Butterfield (#RedSox 3B Coach, 2013-17) and Chili Davis (Red Sox Hitting Coach, 2015-17) were hired today by the Chicago Cubs.
    RedSox

Carl Willis, #RedSox pitching coach from May 9, 2015-2017, was hired today by the Cleveland Indians as their major league pitching coach
    Redsox

Boston has some options in terms of replacements. Double-A manager Carlos Febles would make sense as a base coach and infield coordinator; he was instrumental in Rafael Devers’ development this past season and spent some of September up with the big club for the first time. A number of esteemed pitching coaches are available on the market, including former Tampa Bay coach Jim Hickey, former Mets coach Dan Warthen and former Nationals coach Mike Maddux.

The New York Post reported that Mets bullpen coach Ricky Bones is a candidate to join Cora’s staff in Boston. Bones was the pitching coach for Puerto Rico’s World Baseball Classic team, which Cora helmed as the general manager. NBC Sports Boston has reported that Boston bullpen coach Dana LeVangie is expected to remain on staff in some capacity.
    Providence Journal

Please God, make the Yankees hire Bobby Valentine as their manager

Quote Originally Posted by mzg32 View Post
    Please God, make the Yankees hire Bobby Valentine as their manager
    No way. Cashman is a SABR guy. Expect the latest laptop with a cap and uniform to get the job.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    No way. Cashman is a SABR guy. Expect the latest laptop with a cap and uniform to get the job.
    So lets hope the laptop creates the same messy, broken and dysfuntional dynamic Valentine brought to Boston and stays there fon 5 years

Love to see Clemens as Sox pitching Coach

Maybe bring in Billy Mueller from STL to be hitting coach. Cora is high on Rickey Bones. Possible Bench Coach. Love to See Millar coaching 1st. We need to get younger because our team is so young. Gotta change that culture. a majority of our players are still kids.

Yankees' third base coach Joe Espada has interviewed for coaching jobs with both the Astros and Red Sox.
    With Joe Girardi out as the Yankees' manager, his successor will likely want to bring in a completely new staff, which leaves Espada scrambling to find a job himself. He should have no trouble landing on his feet elsewhere.
    George A. King III

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Pirates' third base coach Joey Cora could become the Red Sox' new bench coach.
    He's the elder brother of Red Sox' new manager Joey Cora and there is growing belief that the two would like to unite. He previously functioned as the Marlins' bench coach during the 2012 season.
    Boston Globe

Hickey or Maddux would be a nice addition. I think we need to go after the best of the best and quite frankly they are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    Hickey or Maddux would be a nice addition. I think we need to go after the best of the best and quite frankly they are up there.
    They are both gone.

The Red Sox are expected to announce Thursday that Hall of Fame manager and former Diamondbacks executive Tony La Russa has joined the organization.

His exact role is unclear, but a source told the Herald that La Russa’s next stop will be in Boston following four years in Arizona’s front office, a stint as special assistant to the league’s commissioner, and 33 years as a manager in Chicago, Oakland and St. Louis.

La Russa, who turned 73 last month, stepped down from his role as Diamondbacks chief baseball analyst two weeks ago. He spent the previous two years as the team’s chief baseball officer.

“I’m not gonna sit home,” La Russa told the Arizona Republic when he stepped down. “I’m gonna do something. I’ve had a few calls already that people are interested. So, we’ll see what’s out there.”

The Red Sox would not confirm or deny that La Russa is joining the organization, but a team source did say he will not be new manager Alex Cora’s bench coach. It is expected to take a non-uniform role in the front office. President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said MLB rules don't allow teams to comment on moves until after the World Series.

La Russa won three World Series titles during more than three decades as a manager. He first won with the Athletics, then won twice with the Cardinals, but his managerial career started with the White Sox in 1979.

His nine years on the Chicago bench matched up almost perfectly with Dombrowski’s stint in the White Sox front office.

When La Russa retired from managing after the 2011 season, he joined the league office as a special assistant to commissioner Bud Selig. He also served on a league committee for on-field matters before joining the Diamondbacks’ front office in May 2014.

La Russa was inducted into the Hall of Fame in July of 2014. His plaque refers to La Russa as the “master of maneuvering lineups and managing bullpens.”
    Boston Herald

Tony La Russa and Dave Dombrowski go way back, with the two first working together with the White Sox. La Russa was Chicago's young manager, while Dombrowski had started working his way up the front office ladder.

And now the pair is reunited.

The Red Sox announced Thursday La Russa will join the organization as a vice president and special assistant to the president of baseball operations, Dave Dombrowski. The 73-year-old last worked with the Diamondbacks, serving as their chief baseball officer before becoming the team's chief baseball analyst. His contract with Arizona expired Tuesday. The Boston Herald first reported the hiring by the Red Sox.

La Russa ranks third all-time among major league managers for total wins, trailing only Connie Mack and John McGraw. He is one of two managers to win the World Series in both the Ameircan and National Leagues.

The Red Sox are also expected to announce news regarding the coaching staff later on Thursday.
    weei.com

13. 11-02-2017, 12:27 PM
    Reason
    To big

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Never heard of any of these names
    Roenicke’s been around for a while. Used to be manager for the Brewers and also worked as a coach on both LA teams (Dodgers and Angels).

Goodwin has also served with our minor league affiliates before catching on as a coach with the Mets.

Febles works in the organization as a minir league coach. He is highly regarded and one of the guys responsible for Devers’ defensive improvement at 3B. He’s a solid add.

These moves don’t scream Cora to me though. Certainly doesn’t appear like he picked his own staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Deleted the other one way to big. In addition never heard these names had to google search them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast