Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, ie I think Joe should have been given another shot with this crew. I flat out disagree with the bolded. Joe's BP decisions, at times, were horrid.
    it's not so much how bad Joe is... Joe uses the entire pen and tries to keep them all utilized. He's not like Torre, in that Torre will ride the hot hand until the arm falls off. Where Girardi would keep going back to the guy who blew a few saves in the last few days. Many think that is horrid.. but Girardi is thinking full season where Torre was looking at today only.. meaning that by October, he had some dead arms where Girardi's full pen was still available because he didn't wear out his top 3 guys.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

While I agree with your overall sentiment, ie I think Joe should have been given another shot with this crew. I flat out disagree with the bolded. Joe's BP decisions, at times, were horrid.
    You didn't enjoy watching Clippard blow 12 straight games for us during that west coast trip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    You didn't enjoy watching Clippard blow 12 straight games for us during that west coast trip?

What did it matter.. at the time Clippard was blowing saves, so was chapman and Betances... As I said back when it happened.. his best were where the failures were occuring..
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    What did it matter.. at the time Clippard was blowing saves, so was chapman and Betances... As I said back when it happened.. his best were where the failures were occuring..
    No, all 3 were not bad simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    No, all 3 were not bad simultaneously.

I guess in Late June and july, you were watching re-runs of old games... all 3 (as well as the rest of the pen) were blowing saves nightly.. Though Chappy was dealing with Injury issues... the others were not.

First.. Clippard only blew 5 save opportunities... 5.. Chappy 4 and betances 3... So last time a Looked.. the numbers show they all were struggling and most of those were June/July.. I'm pretty sure.. though Betances struggled late as well, Girardi had other options. Still, You say 15 but the official stats only say 5... you really need to look things up before making statements as static as that...

The fact remains.. Late June and July, the bullpen as a whole was letting this team down.. which is why Cashman went out and got Robertson and Kahnle... Yes, Clippard was probably the worst offender.. but he was far from being the lone guy in that doghouse.

Joe realizes that the only way to break a funk is to keep going back to the well until you re-gain the confidence.. you call it horrid.. I call it playing it by the book.. which Joe was highly noted for..
    Last edited by bfrap; 11-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post

Joe realizes that the only way to break a funk is to keep going back to the well until you re-gain the confidence.. you call it horrid.. I call it playing it by the book.. which Joe was highly noted for..
    I like Joe and take no joy pointing out perceived flaws, denying them is putting your head in the sand and ignoring, at times, a glaring weakness. E.g. Game 2 ALDS, stuck with Green and Robertson a bit too long. Why? Because he doesn't trust anyone else?

On the other hand he's given far too many crucial innings to Holder, Shreve and Clippard in the name of "keeping BP fresh." often using less than optimum arms in important situ's. Confusing to say the least.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

I like Joe and take no joy pointing out perceived flaws, denying them is putting your head in the sand and ignoring, at times, a glaring weakness. E.g. Game 2 ALDS, stuck with Green and Robertson a bit too long. Why? Because he doesn't trust anyone else?

On the other hand he's given far too many crucial innings to Holder, Shreve and Clippard in the name of "keeping BP fresh." often using less than optimum arms in important situ's. Confusing to say the least.
    Yeah.. but name a BP arm that was dead at the end of the season? Mr. Torre usually had 2 of them every year.. Scott Proctor is one name that comes to mind.. that guy was trusted... and burned out too by torre's overuse of him..

You need to remember.. it's a long season.. Girardi worried about the long haul until the playoffs.. Using a guy you've used the last 3 days again today is great for today.. but in June that may seem good.. but what happens when you do that too often and Sept. rolls around and you need him... but he's on the DL with a sore arm or just playing with a "Dead Arm".. Joe knows it's a long season.. and that sometimes you have to take a chance today to have a better chance down the stretch...
    Yes, you see if differently.. that's fine... but also how many tmes did you complain when Torre's best were not available in Sept. because he abused them for the last 5 months? You can't have it both ways.

Though if we keep the current pen intact, Joe would have so many options for the full year.. we wouldn't care either... We'll have to see how his successor plays things. Because you can't play everyday like it's game 7 of the world series..Its a long season and you have to think about pacing yourself to get there intact. Joe did that well.. even if you didn't like it.. It was with purpose and good results....
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Latest Vegas line. FWIW

Rob Thomson: 6/1

Al Pedrique: 7/1

Tony Pena: 8/1

Trey Hillman: 10/1

Kevin Long: 10/1

ay Bell: 12/1

Raul Ibanez: 12/1

Peter Mackanin: 12/1

Don Mattingly: 12/1

Josh Paul: 16/1

Willie Randolph: 12/1

Larry Rothschild: 12/1

Tim Naehring: 16/1

Dusty Baker: 20/1

Reggie Willits: 20/1

Brad Ausmus: 25/1

John Farrell: 25/1

Jason Giambi: 33/1

Alex Rodriguez: 100/1
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Joe Espada is about a billion to 1 now that he's taken another job.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Joe Espada is about a billion to 1 now that he's taken another job.
    My bad. Should have read before copy and paste.

Latest Vegas line. FWIW

Rob Thomson: 6/1

Al Pedrique: 7/1

Tony Pena: 8/1

Trey Hillman: 10/1

Kevin Long: 10/1

ay Bell: 12/1

Raul Ibanez: 12/1

Peter Mackanin: 12/1

Don Mattingly: 12/1

Josh Paul: 16/1

Willie Randolph: 12/1

Larry Rothschild: 12/1

Tim Naehring: 16/1

Dusty Baker: 20/1

Reggie Willits: 20/1

Brad Ausmus: 25/1

John Farrell: 25/1

Jason Giambi: 33/1

Alex Rodriguez: 100/1
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20161221102124

Go Pedrique

^^^ Still my pick as well. He's gone from the 12/10-1 range to top of list. I think he's a good fit for a young club. My only concern is his lack of familiarity with Cashman. He's never worked in FO. I don't know if his time in Tampa qualifies.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    My bad. Should have read before copy and paste.
    Giambi? He might be fantastic. I could see him managing. I always liked the way he played. He was laid back but still intense as hell. I think he could be a great manager.
    I just don't think he meets the absurd credential of being a stats guy. That's not an indictment of sats, I just think it's a foolish way to pick a manager.
    I wonder, Is there a stat for hiring a stats guy vs a non stats guy?

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Aaron Boone is a funny thought for a manager. I don't want him, but imagine all the Red Sox fans that would fall down and have spasms every time the team took the field. Some of them would need a safe room.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast