Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

ESPN: The Story of the Chicago Bulls Downfall

Pretty good read and I think most of us could visually see the unfolding with our very own eyes despite the team itself saying otherwise. The day Rose went down, is they day things changed.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...bulls-downfall

No story on the rise and fall of the Bulls can be told without remembering that day. "He had a freak accident that even to this day it still feels surreal," Taj Gibson says. "Because we had a bunch of nice talent. We had a nice core of guys that everybody just wanted to win. Everybody was unselfish."
    No player publicly criticized Thibodeau during this time, but some had grown weary of his authoritarian approach, expressing that frustration to Forman and Paxson. The unity that had defined the Bulls early in Thibodeau's tenure had started to erode.
    Normally when we would have bad games, Thibs would constantly curse us out," Gibson says. "You could feel it in his heart because when he's mad, he explodes. And it was at times when, in games when he knows we're playing like trash, and he knows we're not bringing it, and he's not even cursing us out. You know something's up."
    Noah, who had the most volatile relationship with Thibodeau, shares a similar sentiment. "Would I change anything? Hell no, man. That's who I am. I always gave it everything I had. So I'm going to blame Thibs for what? For going to the All-Star Game twice, and getting first-team All-NBA, being a Defensive Player of the Year. Blame Thibs? Hell no."
    There is no better illustration of the breaking point between one era of Bulls players and another than the deterioration of Noah and Butler's relationship during the 2015-16 season.
    "I remember him talking about in the summer, talking about like, 'I'm going to be the point guard. I'm the one who should be making the decisions,'" Noah says. "And I was like, man we got Derrick here, why is our 2-guard talking about, 'I'm the point guard?' ... I think when you're at the top of the chain, when you say things, it reflects on everybody."
    He started isolating himself from the rest of the group, dressing in different parts of the locker room before and after games, according to sources. After years of crafting the narrative that he was just a regular guy, Butler suddenly didn't seem to mind the trappings of celebrity.
    The identity that the Bulls developed under Thibodeau was gone. The offense that Hoiberg was brought in to fix was lethargic, and the defense didn't have the same fighting spirit that it did in years past.
    "I felt like -- it just changed. It just changed," Noah said. "And the message changed from when Thibs was here. Thibs was very demanding and very strict in the way he wanted things run. When he left, that kind of left, too, the structure part."
    "We had 60-win seasons," Noah says. "We would go into summers, like, really believing that we could win a championship. That's rare. ... So yeah, I miss that grind with those guys, believing that we had a shot of winning a championship. That was the best. Believing that you can win a championship is the best."
    Last edited by dyst; 10-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.

It's a huge article with more detail but I just wanted to provide a few choice quotes. Even now it's evident that Hoiberg doesn't have control of the locker room. We need to remove the stench from the previous team that has been carried over so as to not infect Lauri with this virus. Portis, Niko, Hoiberg and even GarPax need to go. Too much damage has been done. Time to move on or else the infection will just grow.

Yeah I read that yesterday, it definitely fits in with everything we have discussed in here. No need to get rid of Hoiberg yet really, he can coach our bad teams. The offense has looked better this year anyway. Not sure he can coach a competitive team successfully though

Reporter: What happened Dak?

Dak: I don't know, they were everywhere. I'd throw, they would intercept it. I'd try to run, they were right there. I'd look up, there they were. It's not fair. I miss my Zeke, I can't do this without him. They were right, all of them, they were all right. Wentz IS better than me.

I agree on keeping Hoiberg for the sake of the tank, but my concern is that Lauri will succomb to the plague that follows this teams core. He seems to be a nice talent that we've found (at least through these first few games). With added time, they will screw him up.

I don't understand why anyone is still dwelling on the past era. We started over. Our downfall could have been summed up to one thing. Our Max Contract Super Star 1st overall Pick PG, blew out his knee and never recovered because his game relied solely on athleticism and nothing more. He wasn't a great floor general, he wasn't a good shooter, he wasn't a good defender. His claim to fame was being an elite athlete PG that was, in the words of Stacey King, "Too big, Too Strong, Too Fast, Too Good!"

If any team loses someone like Rose, that they were so heavily invested in, it's game over until that Contract is gone.

It's time to look to the future! I think we ended up with a steal in Lauri Markannen. No one saw that coming, but he looks like the real deal. That shot is no joke, and he plays an extremely smart game. He's going to be paired with Lavine, who really started coming on prior to his injury last year. If Lavine can be a 20-24 ppg scorer shooting upper 30% 3's, and Lauri can become a 20+ PPG scorer shooting 40% from deep, we are off to a great start in our rebuild campaign. Add that to a top 5 pick this year and probably a top 5 pick next year and we should find our SF of the future, and maybe a C or PG as well.

A Core of Lavine/Porter Jr/Lauri could be elite offensively. The key is to pair them with a defensive minded C, and a pass 1st defensive minded PG. Not too mention if these young guys can perform in the NBA, they will attract big name FA's, and we will have all the money to spend for the 1st time in a long time.

The thing I got most out of this is that the FO should have all been fired at least 3 seasons ago.

Nothing that we haven't debated about for years.

Cut the head off and move on. Next summer would be a good time for that, before the draft.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    The thing I got most out of this is that the FO should have all been fired at least 3 seasons ago.
    Been saying that for years bud, been saying that for years.

New proven GM, then a good smart coach and from there you go build the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dyst View Post
    New proven GM, then a good smart coach and from there you go build the team.
    Define proven GM