Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    I just don't understand why anyone is okay with/defends having not a single top 100 prospect. Is that the bar we really want to set as a franchise? We should be able to graduate players and refill, unless the farm is completely gutted for quality major league players (i.e. the Cubs). When is the last time teams with lasting success like the Red Sox didn't have a top 100 prospect, regardless of graduations/trades?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I just don't understand why anyone is okay with/defends having not a single top 100 prospect. Is that the bar we really want to set as a franchise? We should be able to graduate players and refill, unless the farm is completely gutted for quality major league players (i.e. the Cubs). When is the last time teams with lasting success like the Red Sox didn't have a top 100 prospect, regardless of graduations/trades?
    Some teams are just better at drafting, developing and signing premier ifa talent.

Mets are not the worst, their probably somewhere in the middle, but when they graduate the few very good guys they had, then their system looks like one of the worst.

A team like the Sox and the Cubs do all these things well, like I mention before both teams signed young Cuban players and traded them for all star players that could help them win now. Red Sox didnít with Mincada and the Cubs with Soler. Mets donít sign these guys at all.

Iíll say this, they they have spend more on ifa talent from DR and Venezuela than they did in years past, but I think the fact that teams can only spend so much has helped the Mets. Teams canít just go and spend 10-15 million on these guys anymore, this allows a team like the Mets to be able to do good in this market.

Next year we likely see 3-4 Mets in the top 100 hopefully, I mention last season how it was a real down season for them in the minors, many of their best either suffered injuries or just flat out sucked.

The FO certainly has not done nearly all they could of done and even done bad in many drafts. This is why I always scream when they let a guy like Giolito or Gray go by them, these guys were clearly top 5 picks, that fell to them, or even a guy like Gallo, these guys have value and could of been used in deals or better yet be in the team now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Some teams are just better at drafting, developing and signing premier ifa talent.

Mets are not the worst, their probably somewhere in the middle, but when they graduate the few very good guys they had, then their system looks like one of the worst.

A team like the Sox and the Cubs do all these things well, like I mention before both teams signed young Cuban players and traded them for all star players that could help them win now. Red Sox didnít with Mincada and the Cubs with Soler. Mets donít sign these guys at all.

Iíll say this, they they have spend more on ifa talent from DR and Venezuela than they did in years past, but I think the fact that teams can only spend so much has helped the Mets. Teams canít just go and spend 10-15 million on these guys anymore, this allows a team like the Mets to be able to do good in this market.

Next year we likely see 3-4 Mets in the top 100 hopefully, I mention last season how it was a real down season for them in the minors, many of their best either suffered injuries or just flat out sucked.

The FO certainly has not done nearly all they could of done and even done bad in many drafts. This is why I always scream when they let a guy like Giolito or Gray go by them, these guys were clearly top 5 picks, that fell to them, or even a guy like Gallo, these guys have value and could of been used in deals or better yet be in the team now.

What made them fall? Demanding too much money?
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    What made them fall? Demanding too much money?
    Giolito was headed for TJ and Gray some thought he was a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    Mets could have 4 prospects in the top ten next season - all 4 are in the system right now. Two top prospects are not in the top 100 right now simply because they had 35 and 37 extra MLB ABs in 2017 (up to 130 AB = rookie status). So a measly 35 and 37 ABs kept them out of the top 100?

What does that tell you?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Looks like Smith took his fitness more seriously this year. Hopefully it translates to the field.
    http://https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/inside-look-at-dominic-smiths-fitness-transformation/
    Smith took it seriously last winter too. The problem has not been off-season workouts, it's been in-season eating.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Whoever they select in the 1st round will be in the top 100 most likely. Peterson, Gimenez and Mauricio.

Hernandez, Vientos, Kay and Alonso have outside chances.
    Also, I would like to add that If Szapucki recovers, he will be a top 100.

Injuries in the minor league level have really destroyed this system. Not that they are a top 10 system but they have better talent than being 27th ranked.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Also, I would like to add that If Szapucki recovers, he will be a top 100.

Injuries in the minor league level have really destroyed this system. Not that they are a top 10 system but they have better talent than being 27th ranked.
    #fakenews

Fact of the matter is, not one player in our minors is in this arbitrary top 100.

(Sarcasm...Iím totally with ya on this one Clay)

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Smith took it seriously last winter too. The problem has not been off-season workouts, it's been in-season eating.
    I think under better supervision and better places to eat, he will stay in better shape.

The guy is going into his age 23 season in New York. He's part of a solid team with a gaping hole at first base. He's a professional athlete. If these things don't motivate him to keep his *** in shape, nothing will.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    The guy is going into his age 23 season in New York. He's part of a solid team with a gaping hole at first base. He's a professional athlete. If these things don't motivate him to keep his *** in shape, nothing will.
    Heís a kid. He will figure it out. Some kids donít have the best direction initially, but I guarantee someone is in his ear telling him how lucky he is.

Not eating properly is a disorder, not totally unlike alcoholism or drug addiction. He needs more than just supervision. He needs a paradigm shift - perhaps psychotherapy. He admits to eating pizza and hamburgers before and after games - why? If he's hungry, eat something sensible. Chicken salad perhaps like Wade Boggs? If Dom doesn't lose another 10 to 20 pounds of fat before the end of spring training and maintain that level, he will wind up back at LV.

Alderson, not someone who publicly chastises his players (especially one of his first round draft choices), does so on several occasions that I can recall, Dom better listen up. He did so when he claimed that Dom looked lethargic in Spring Training 2016, the game was too fast for him another time, and coming out about him being out of shape towards the end of 2017. I truly believe that if another team were to come asking about Dom, he would be traded.

Look to AGon and Flores at 1b unless Dom really is super dedicated to reducing fat and eating properly. That still doesn't mean he is handed the 1b job. He will need to win it outright from AGon, Flores and Bruce (yes Bruce needs to be considered in the equation). When Conforto gets back, it is possible that Nimmo and Lagares will still be the CF platoon while Conforto goes to RF.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Not eating properly is a disorder, not totally unlike alcoholism or drug addiction. He needs more than just supervision. He needs a paradigm shift - perhaps psychotherapy. He admits to eating pizza and hamburgers before and after games - why? If he's hungry, eat something sensible. Chicken salad perhaps like Wade Boggs? If Dom doesn't lose another 10 to 20 pounds of fat before the end of spring training and maintain that level, he will wind up back at LV.

Alderson, not someone who publicly chastises his players (especially one of his first round draft choices), does so on several occasions that I can recall, Dom better listen up. He did so when he claimed that Dom looked lethargic in Spring Training 2016, the game was too fast for him another time, and coming out about him being out of shape towards the end of 2017. I truly believe that if another team were to come asking about Dom, he would be traded.

Look to AGon and Flores at 1b unless Dom really is super dedicated to reducing fat and eating properly. That still doesn't mean he is handed the 1b job. He will need to win it outright from AGon, Flores and Bruce (yes Bruce needs to be considered in the equation). When Conforto gets back, it is possible that Nimmo and Lagares will still be the CF platoon while Conforto goes to RF.
    He needs to learn self control. Iím sure he will.

It takes some people who were raised with ****** diets a while longer sometimes. I can only assume that heís had a poor diet for a while.

Wondering why relief pitchers rarely show up on the top 100. We have quite a few of them who are interesting. Drew Smith for one, some of the others we acquired late in the 2017 season (Callahan, Rhame, Nogosek), then a few that have been in the organization for awhile (Conlon and Molina who look like possible swingmen).

Seems to me that Sandy and his team looked into beefing up the bullpen depth by making some of those trades late in 2017. And then there is Regnault who might make the Mets as the 2nd lefty in the pen who looked good last year and in Fall Ball.

I think the competition will be 3rd, 4th, 5th starter and swingman. Then the 2nd pen lefty. Then one more.
    Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Gsellman, Montero and Lugo will fight it out for the 4 spots. Regnault is the odds on favorite right now for the 2nd pen lefty. Not sure who the other is - probably Sewald or Robles but not both.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast