Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452

    What's Wrong With the Oilers?

    Draisaitl, Sekera, and Caggiula injuries aside, why have many pieces struggle to help continue the growth from last season? Strome, RNH, Lucic, Kleffbom all are struggling. Yes, a 1-1-1 record vs the Blackhawks, Penguins, and Flyers is a solid road trip, but it's not enough for a pre-season cup contender.

    Is it time for Edmonton to make depth trades for better fits? Like adding a top 9 scorer? Add another depth blueliner? Or should the Oilers trade RNH to Montreal for Patcioretty?

    I say they should go for depth for now since Talbot is playing better as of late.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    12,550
    I know the lack of depth is a huge concern, especially with some of those contracts on the books. Sure, McDavid and Drasaitl take up a lot of cap room, but they had to pay those two and the best is yet to come from them. Other contracts have bogged them down, and not sure there is an easy way out of some of them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    28,011
    How are they liking Strome? I'm kidding obviously. Strome sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,391
    Lack of depth, defense isn't great and Talbot isn't playing Vezina-like like he did last year. I think their advanced stats have been pretty favorable. They have a really low shooting% that should move back to the median eventually so i think they'll start scoring, especially as they get healthy. They're getting nothing from their blueline. Klefbom has started really slow and not having Sekera affects that as well. I think Kris Russell is there top scorer from the blueline. That can't happen.

    I think they'll be alright though. It's still early. Strome sucks by the way.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Lack of depth, defense isn't great and Talbot isn't playing Vezina-like like he did last year. I think their advanced stats have been pretty favorable. They have a really low shooting% that should move back to the median eventually so i think they'll start scoring, especially as they get healthy. They're getting nothing from their blueline. Klefbom has started really slow and not having Sekera affects that as well. I think Kris Russell is there top scorer from the blueline. That can't happen.

    I think they'll be alright though. It's still early. Strome sucks by the way.
    Strome was just a trade to get Eberle off the books. He is gone at the end of season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    Strome was just a trade to get Eberle off the books. He is gone at the end of season.
    Well you'd think they should've gotten a little more value back. I mean Eberle had 20 goals and 51 points last year. You don't just throw that away for the sake of clearing cap space without getting something back that can replace some of that production. Who on the roster was going to make up those types of numbers?


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Well you'd think they should've gotten a little more value back. I mean Eberle had 20 goals and 51 points last year. You don't just throw that away for the sake of clearing cap space without getting something back that can replace some of that production. Who on the roster was going to make up those types of numbers?
    I am not Chiarelli, so can't fully answer that. Strome was once one of the higher regarded prospects in the Islanders system. There were rumors of Hamonic going to the Oilers as well. They signed Jussi Jokinen to get points, but he is terrible.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    I am not Chiarelli, so can't fully answer that. Strome was once one of the higher regarded prospects in the Islanders system. There were rumors of Hamonic going to the Oilers as well. They signed Jussi Jokinen to get points, but he is terrible.
    They need a scoring winger. On HNIC Friedman suggested Chiarelli call the Habs and ask what the price of Pacioretty is. That would be interesting.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    They need a scoring winger. On HNIC Friedman suggested Chiarelli call the Habs and ask what the price of Pacioretty is. That would be interesting.
    It's going to be high because Montreal needs to rebuild bad. Patches is a high caliber goal scorer and his value will only increase as the season goes on since he was in a bad slump earlier this year. I still think depth and chemistry are better than giving up a core piece for another piece, especially when you need a 2nd C to anchor the 2nd line.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    It's going to be high because Montreal needs to rebuild bad. Patches is a high caliber goal scorer and his value will only increase as the season goes on since he was in a bad slump earlier this year. I still think depth and chemistry are better than giving up a core piece for another piece, especially when you need a 2nd C to anchor the 2nd line.
    IMO Drai should be centering the second line. But then that opens up another hole on the 1st line. I don't know if Nuge is the type of centerman the Habs would want either.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    IMO Drai should be centering the second line. But then that opens up another hole on the 1st line. I don't know if Nuge is the type of centerman the Habs would want either.
    Yep, I agree the Draisaitl and McDavid line should be split up.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,598
    I didn't care for Chairelli in Boston, not a good signing for Edmonton

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    I didn't care for Chairelli in Boston, not a good signing for Edmonton
    He did help bring a title to Boston though. Takes decent management to build a roster capable of winning a cup.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    He did help bring a title to Boston though. Takes decent management to build a roster capable of winning a cup.
    He also dashed the chance at a dynasty with bad cap management and trading Seguin.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    He also dashed the chance at a dynasty with bad cap management and trading Seguin.
    A fresher start could help a lot of people in their careers. Brian Burke was terrible for the Leafs, yet he has done much better in Calgary considering they have one of the deeper blue line corps in the league.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •