Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    based on what exactly? his career 0.0 value above replacement? his career .507 TS%? his below average defensive output? his inability to draw a foul?

the occasional impressive hustle play does not outweigh his obvious overall badness. his defense actually does look somewhat better this season, i will give him that, but its still not good enough to outweigh his absolute uselessness on the offensive end. currently a 91 offensive rating over 5 games, worst of his career.

the opposition simply being aware that TJ exists, makes him irrelevant.
    Actually it does. TJ is a symbol. He inspires his teammates. Hes awesome. He works so friggin hard. And he finds guys. Hes a point guard through and through. Your metrics are meaningless when it comes to TJ.

based on what exactly? his career 0.0 value above replacement? his career .507 TS%? his below average defensive output? his inability to draw a foul?

the occasional impressive hustle play does not outweigh his obvious overall badness. his defense actually does look somewhat better this season, i will give him that, but its still not good enough to outweigh his absolute uselessness on the offensive end. currently a 91 offensive rating over 5 games, worst of his career.

the opposition simply being aware that TJ exists, makes him irrelevant.
    Hydro I used to fully agree with your hate for TJ but even you have to admit he's much improved now. Also just because his VORP isn't high that doesn't mean he sucks. What he means to this team goes beyond #s. He's the little engine that could. He's a glue guy. You can't watch the game last night and say he didn't make a HUGE impact. His stat line of 6/5/9/6 was incredible. Of course when we get really good I don't want him playing any meaningful minutes but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd love to see him riding the pine for this team for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesKong View Post
    Actually it does. TJ is a symbol. He inspires his teammates. Hes awesome. He works so friggin hard. And he finds guys. Hes a point guard through and through. Your metrics are meaningless when it comes to TJ.
    Well said.

i dont want the ball in embiids hands in ciritical late game situations.... id rather have him as a finisher, not a playmaker.... same with JJ.

we have 3 real playmakers with the ball on this team, Simmons, Fultz, and Saric.

if Embiid, Bayless, TJ, or Redick are out there dribbling the ball outside the 3 point line in a critical situation.... something has gone horribly wrong.

i dont want the ball in embiids hands in ciritical late game situations.... id rather have him as a finisher, not a playmaker.... same with JJ.

we have 3 real playmakers with the ball on this team, Simmons, Fultz, and Saric.

if Embiid, Bayless, TJ, or Redick are out there dribbling the ball outside the 3 point line in a critical situation.... something has gone horribly wrong.
    I dont meaning handling. I mean shooting. Those 4 are the last ones to touch the ball. Be quiet and just agree.

thats nonsensical and contradictory if the team consistently doesn't score more points than the opponent when hes on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by godunkadunk8 View Post
    Hydro I used to fully agree with your hate for TJ but even you have to admit he's much improved now. Also just because his VORP isn't high that doesn't mean he sucks. What he means to this team goes beyond #s. He's the little engine that could. He's a glue guy. You can't watch the game last night and say he didn't make a HUGE impact. His stat line of 6/5/9/6 was incredible. Of course when we get really good I don't want him playing any meaningful minutes but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd love to see him riding the pine for this team for a long time to come.
    i really dont care about his VORP, its just an overall metric i found for him that was pretty consistent over his 3 seasons, proving him to be a well below average NBA player.

yes, TJ has improved, a great deal.... but thats my point.... he has improved a lot, and hes still bad.... ive made it very clear over the years ive been posting that assists are probably the least meaningful stat in the NBA, in my opinion, so his relatively high assist rate means less than nothing to me, especially since he cant score so passing is really his only option, he doesnt keep defenses honest in any meaningful way.

i dont mind him on the team, or riding the pine, or being our 3rd string point guard who plays garbage time. i dont hate TJ mcconnel.... hes probably good for the practice squad.... but when people in this forum or RTRS, or sixers-twitter pretends that hes a good NBA player.... thats where i draw the line.
    Last edited by BChydro86; 10-26-2017 at 03:00 PM.

thats nonsensical and contradictory if the team consistently doesn't score more points than the opponent when hes on the floor.
    That depends on who is on the floor with him the majority of the time hes on the floor. And I dont know how consistent your fact is.

^^^ Bayless and TJ are both bad, but Bayless is probably somewhat better because he can shoot and is slightly more athletic.... in lineups with ben simmons, i think a luwawu-reddick backcourt would be better than either TJ or Bayless.

bottom line, we need to get fultz healthy and in the starting lineup.... or we need a relatively massive upgrade over those 2.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players
    dude just stop with the TJ hate. its unreal. like it or not TJ is turning into a good role player and quality backup. he is a winning player.

Quote Originally Posted by thegerman View Post
    playoffs will be tough to reach this year
    i dont think so. feel like we are still a threat to finish as high as 6th. the east is trash and we are faaar from our ceiling for this season.

but, buuuut SCIENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    dude just stop with the TJ hate. its unreal. like it or not TJ is turning into a good role player and quality backup. he is a winning player.
    based on what exactly? hes bad by every metric. he doesnt make the team better by any metric...

you cant just say things and pretend theyre true.

He's not exactly a 'winning' player considering the Sixers lost, and have lost a lot the past several years. Do I think his gritty play helps motivate the team? Yes, I think we can all agree on that. But statistically speaking he is not someone you want to rely on to be an important piece of this team.

That said, I loved TJ's game last night, he brought it. However, Harden and Gordon still dropped 57 points, Sixers lost, and he still had a negative rating while on the floor.

That depends on who is on the floor with him the majority of the time hes on the floor. And I dont know how consistent your fact is.
    why did you put the word 'fact' in quotes when i didnt use the word?

we can all love TJs grit and hustle while still acknowledging that hes a terrible NBA player

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast