Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's just say

Let's just say

Hey guys I want to say something. OK let's just say the Minnesota Vikings win the Superbowl this season. Would you be shocked or not.

Thoughts?

V4LB-DIMGIM-VCU-CUBBY JOE AND GOINGFOR28

The reasons they won't, that people will come up with (not all of which I'd disagree with):
    1.) With Case Keenum?!
    2.) Without Dalvin Cook?!
    3.) Not enough at offensive skill positions
    4.) They're the Vikings. They've been there 4 times and lost 'em all.

Reasons they can:
    1.) Doubtful Keenum is the QB throughout the year
    2.) The run game, even with no Cook, is improving, as is the offensive line
    3.) While you can say they have no true #1, they have 2 above average 2s and more at WR plus an above average TE
    4.) Ancient history, losing Super Bowls. It's all about the CURRENT players/coaches/team
    5.) That defense is enough to make up for most of any perceived lack of offense

Are they as likely as, say, the Eagles to win the NFC? Probably not. Doesn't mean they couldn't get to and win the NFC Championship just as easily as others you could mention.
    If they got there, could they win it? Well, firstly getting there means they've put some things together. Secondly, getting there means they've put the rest of the NFC behind them. Thirdly, getting there means they play in their own stadium!

Even as a lifelong Vikings fan, I don't expect it. If Bradford were still healthy and looking like he did week 1 and Cook hadn't blown a knee, we wouldn't be talking about the offense in the anemic terms some do now. But neither are healthy, so I'd be surprised, but not shocked.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The reasons they won't, that people will come up with (not all of which I'd disagree with):
    1.) With Case Keenum?!
    2.) Without Dalvin Cook?!
    3.) Not enough at offensive skill positions
    4.) They're the Vikings. They've been there 4 times and lost 'em all.

Reasons they can:
    1.) Doubtful Keenum is the QB throughout the year
    2.) The run game, even with no Cook, is improving, as is the offensive line
    3.) While you can say they have no true #1, they have 2 above average 2s and more at WR plus an above average TE
    4.) Ancient history, losing Super Bowls. It's all about the CURRENT players/coaches/team
    5.) That defense is enough to make up for most of any perceived lack of offense

Are they as likely as, say, the Eagles to win the NFC? Probably not. Doesn't mean they couldn't get to and win the NFC Championship just as easily as others you could mention.
    If they got there, could they win it? Well, firstly getting there means they've put some things together. Secondly, getting there means they've put the rest of the NFC behind them. Thirdly, getting there means they play in their own stadium!

Even as a lifelong Vikings fan, I don't expect it. If Bradford were still healthy and looking like he did week 1 and Cook hadn't blown a knee, we wouldn't be talking about the offense in the anemic terms some do now. But neither are healthy, so I'd be surprised, but not shocked.
    I see your points. I was on my lunch break today McDonald's today and I'm cool with some of the employees there. Most of them are Cowboys and Steelers fans. I asked them the same question today and most of them said they would be surprised but not really. One of the Steelers fans said that the Vikings defense can take the Vikings to the Superbowl because they are that good.

V4LB-DIMGIM-VCU-CUBBY JOE AND GOINGFOR28

I'll honestly be shocked if they even make it to the divisional round. I won't be shocked if they find a way to miss altogether. That franchise is too cursed to win a SB.

They don't feel like a Super Bowl team to me tbh.

There's always a chance if you can get to the playoffs, but unless you have a historically great defense you need an elite qb or above avg qb+great offense to win a Super Bowl. I'd say it's more likely that they would be upset in the wild card round by say a GB team that somehow sneaks in, Washington, Dallas, Atlanta/New Orleans, Seattle/LA Rams than them winning a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Know how many Super Bowl winners we likely felt the same about in the middle of that season?
    Quite a few...

What WOULD have shocked me, however, is if non-Vikings fans here would have said they wouldn't be shocked.

But sure, less surprising would be Green Bay and New Orleans (who they've already beat) and a team like the Rams, or the Cowboys and Falcons who've not exactly shown themselves as playoff contenders....lol
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Definitely not.

Know how many Super Bowl winners we likely felt the same about in the middle of that season?
    Quite a few...

What WOULD have shocked me, however, is if non-Vikings fans here would have said they wouldn't be shocked.

But sure, less surprising would be Green Bay and New Orleans (who they've already beat) and a team like the Rams, or the Cowboys and Falcons who've not exactly shown themselves as playoff contenders....lol
    Do you think they would beat New Orleans this week on a neutral field? A lot changes quickly in the NFL. New Orleans defense is unlikely to hold up for the rest of the season, but if you give a QB like Brees an above avg defense, that is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

This year many teams have a shot at winning the NFC championship simply because there aren't any clear front runners. So that probably is a team nobody expected before the season and as such wouldn't be too shocking.

Of course the Eagles have a great record right now, but also suffered significant injuries and the success of the team hinges almost entirely on a 2nd year QB playing lights-out. (DL is legit as well.)

But do I believe the Vikings have a good chance of beating whatever team wins the AFC championship? I don't think so.

you just jinxed them....browns will win in london
    ....coooookie

Does any team tho?
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

Quite a few...

I wouldn't be shock and I'm not a Vikings fan.

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

With Rodgers out they should win the division. Barring a total collapse in London they'll be 6-2 headed into their bye week. Their 2nd half schedule is much more difficult than the 1st half has been. After the bye MN plays @Was, LAR, @Det, @Atl, @Car, Cin, @GB, Chi. They should be able to at least finish 10-6, probably 11-5.
    That defense is super legit and I could see the team making a run, but even if they did win the NFC (could happen but I doubt it) I can't see them beating NE, KC or Pitt for a super bowl title.
    That said, Trent Dilfer and Peyton Manning have won super bowls with great defenses, so maybe if Teddy comes back and is able to improve on where he left off they could have a chance. I'm assuming Bradford is done. If he was healthy I think theyd have a better chance as I believe hes far better than Teddy.
    Stranger things have happened.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by goingfor28; 10-25-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eDush View Post
    I wouldn't be shock and I'm not a Vikings fan.
    But you are a Vikings fan.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast