Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

FiveThirtyEight - Vegas is best expansion team ever

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-nhl-history/

Three weeks into the NHL season, thereís little that makes sense in the standings. The Montreal Canadiens and the New York Rangers ó Eastern Conference stalwarts in recent years ó have combined for three wins.1 Meanwhile, several of the leagueís recent doormats ó like the Philadelphia Flyers and the New Jersey Devils ó are looking surprisingly dangerous. But perhaps the biggest oddity of all is this: The Vegas Golden Knights are playing some good hockey.

Of course, itís early and the Knights are up against some tough narratives: The quixotic practice of desert hockey hasnít exactly worked out for the NHL to this point (looking at you, Phoenix), and no expansion team from the past 26 years has made the playoffs in its first season. But no expansion team from the past 26 years ó or in the history of the NHL, for that matter ó has gotten off to this good of a start, either.

The Knightsí six wins in seven tries are remarkable considering how their expansion brethren have fared. Among the other nine expansion teams that began play since 1991, only three ó the 1992-93 Tampa Bay Lightning, the 1993-94 Florida Panthers and the 1993-94 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim ó managed to win more than one of their first seven games. And then thereís the case of the putrid 1992-93 Ottawa Senators, who didnít win their second game until their 23rd try.
    Good article. I think we all look at the record and assume so but article dives into the talent as well.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Off to a great start but I donít expect it to continue.

And letís not forget, no other expansion team had access to as many solid players as Vegas got to choose from either.

Yeah, the depth they have is crazy. Lots of teams lost good pieces from this expansion draft.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Off to a great start but I donít expect it to continue.

And letís not forget, no other expansion team had access to as many solid players as Vegas got to choose from either.
    I think the league can take credit for that for making it easier for the Knights to be competitive right off the bat rather than the slow build to relevancy like so many other expansion clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Yeah, the depth they have is crazy. Lots of teams lost good pieces from this expansion draft.
    It says a lot about the NHL that an expansion team can have this much success from drafting the "scrubs" of the other teams. My Isles traded a 1st rounder plus more to prevent Vegas from taking one of their unprotected forwards. We also got out of a bad contract though along with it.

Lots of depth and talent in the NHL right now. It's not a 1 or 2 line sport. It's all 4 lines. There is talent everywhere. An expansion team wouldn't have this much success 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 10-25-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

The thing with Vegas is quite honestly, Bettman set it up so they would have some form of success sooner rather than later and quite honestly, a lot of the NHL teams should have been thankful that Vegas had a GM that was willing to make trades NOT to take certain players or Vegas would be much better than they are now. It is definitely a lot different than expansion teams in professional sports from the past.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Vegas is great at home. Not so great on the road. Gotta think that teams going in to Vegas (especially the first time) are having a little too much fun off the ice.