Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Third base is open.
    not if the yanks wan't machado in 2019...

Third base is open.
    Is it really? I have a feeling Yanks have plans for 3B.

As a SS playing 2B with the tools to play 3B, it doesn’t really matter where Torres plays and who he replaces as long as he gets playing time, imo. Where he plays and when are FO decisions. Didi is probably not going anywhere, so we can rule out SS. Do they move Castro? Install Torres at 2B and move Castro o 3B? Or trade Castro install Headley at 3B for one year and Torres at 2B? Machado or Andujar in the future at 3B?
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

I'm going to guess that Torres takes over at third base next season at some point. I think they leave Castro at second but if he were to get hurt then we could see Torres at second.
    Permanently or a temporary stint?
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Is it really? I have a feeling Yanks have plans for 3B.

As a SS playing 2B with the tools to play 3B, it doesn’t really matter where Torres plays and who he replaces as long as he gets playing time, imo. Where he plays and when are FO decisions. Didi is probably not going anywhere, so we can rule out SS. Do they move Castro? Install Torres at 2B and move Castro o 3B? Or trade Castro install Headley at 3B for one year and Torres at 2B? Machado or Andujar in the future at 3B?
    I'm going to guess that Torres takes over at third base next season at some point. I think they leave Castro at second but if he were to get hurt then we could see Torres at second.

Yeah I doubt they move Castro to 3B. Torres will come up there and then Eventually move to 2B I bet.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Permanently or a temporary stint?
    I wouldn't say permanent as in forever, but probably for all of 2018.

Headley made something like 18 errors at 3B. Castro couldn't be worse there.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Yeah I doubt they move Castro to 3B. Torres will come up there and then Eventually move to 2B I bet.
    I'm not disagreeing but I don't understand their logic in that case.
    Torres's glove is excellent and I'm guessing better than Castro's and Castro has played third, so in that case, if you are projecting a Torres to be your future second baseman, why not move the vet who's had experience at the other spot?

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Headley made something like 18 errors at 3B. Castro couldn't be worse there.
    Making up your own numbers doesn't count for anything.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I'm not disagreeing but I don't understand their logic in that case.
    Torres's glove is excellent and I'm guessing better than Castro's and Castro has played third, so in that case, if you are projecting a Torres to be your future second baseman, why not move the vet who's had experience at the other spot?
    I just don't think it's worth the hassle. You say Caatro played 3B but really he tried it for a few spring training games and they ended the experiment. Who's to say he takes to the spot any better this year?

I don't think Torres playing 3B for a year and then switching to 2B next year is a big deal. He's played all 3 in the minors regularly I think. It's just not a big concern of mine and I don't think it's of theirs either.

If they really think it'd be a huge deal for him to just move to 2B next year they can do it. Then you have Castro try to prove he can play 3B. If he does, great. If he doesn't, he becomes the DH and Headley plays 3B.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Making up your own numbers doesn't count for anything.
    I didn't have time to look it up earlier, but here's the facts. Headley started 85 games and had 13 errors in those games. If you expect him to be your starting 3B everyday over 162 games that projects to 25 errors for the year. Even at 140 games, it projects to 21 errors.

For full disclosure he also came in one game after the 3B starter was pinch hit for. He also had one additional error at 1B where he was much better, but where he is only a backup to Bird going forward. Further, he had a significantly lower number of assists.

So, if you want to be challenged defensively at 3B, then, based on this past season's performance, Chase is your man.

For further comparison, Starlin Castro started 108 games and played in a total of 109 games, some late in the season on a not fully healed leg and made 11 errors, with more assists and more chances.

Don't think you'd give up much with Castro at 3B and it would make better sense for Torres.

I didn't have time to look it up earlier, but here's the facts. Headley started 85 games and had 13 errors in those games. If you expect him to be your starting 3B everyday over 162 games that projects to 25 errors for the year. Even at 140 games, it projects to 21 errors.

For full disclosure he also came in one game after the 3B starter was pinch hit for. He also had one additional error at 1B where he was much better, but where he is only a backup to Bird going forward. Further, he had a significantly lower number of assists.

So, if you want to be challenged defensively at 3B, then, based on this past season's performance, Chase is your man.

For further comparison, Starlin Castro started 108 games and played in a total of 109 games, some late in the season on a not fully healed leg and made 11 errors, with more assists and more chances.

Don't think you'd give up much with Castro at 3B and it would make better sense for Torres.
    Spouting 1 seasons numbers and expecting that they will be what we can expect next season is fools-gold...

Yes, Headley was not on par with himself.. though last year (2016) he only had 10 errors... that was actually a better than average season for him... but at the same time.. 2015 he had 23... which is the norm? over his career, somewhere in between.., though closer to 10 than 23...

Where will he be next season? If you can get the correct number now than you should be wasting your time making bets.

Now, it does not really matter what WE think.. it's really what the Manager and GM think... and right now.. one of those spots is empty..
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Spouting 1 seasons numbers and expecting that they will be what we can expect next season is fools-gold...

Yes, Headley was not on par with himself.. though last year (2016) he only had 10 errors... that was actually a better than average season for him... but at the same time.. 2015 he had 23... which is the norm? over his career, somewhere in between.., though closer to 10 than 23...

Where will he be next season? If you can get the correct number now than you should be wasting your time making bets.

Now, it does not really matter what WE think.. it's really what the Manager and GM think... and right now.. one of those spots is empty..
    So, you play GM and make the decision. He had 23 errors in 2016 and 13 errors in 85 games in 2017, which is a pace of 25 errors when a decision was made to pick Frazier to play 3B over him. Yet, with that pattern over the last year and a half, you believe that the number from 2015 of 10 errors is the norm. Not to mention that he is older, has had back issues that might get worse with age, etc. I would make the case that 23 is more the norm than 10. Also, the main point is still whether you believe that Castro would be a significantly worse fielder at 3B than Headley and my point is that I do not believe he will.

So, again, you be the GM and make the decision whether you believe that the older Headley or the younger Castro should be in the field.

So, you play GM and make the decision. He had 23 errors in 2016 and 13 errors in 85 games in 2017, which is a pace of 25 errors when a decision was made to pick Frazier to play 3B over him. Yet, with that pattern over the last year and a half, you believe that the number from 2015 of 10 errors is the norm. Not to mention that he is older, has had back issues that might get worse with age, etc. I would make the case that 23 is more the norm than 10. Also, the main point is still whether you believe that Castro would be a significantly worse fielder at 3B than Headley and my point is that I do not believe he will.

So, again, you be the GM and make the decision whether you believe that the older Headley or the younger Castro should be in the field.
    I did not say 10 was his norm... I did say is was closer to 10 and 23 though... (look up the stats... it falls in the neighborhood of 15.. which is closer to 10 and 23...)
    Still, the last 2 seasons he's had both extremes...his career high and career low. So where does he go from here?

If I was that good of a guesser, I'd pick the powerball numbers with that skill...
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Third base is open.
    Where were you in 7th grade?

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast