Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Kluber probably wins it.
    Yeah Sev is there bc they had to pick 3

I always thought Moose struck out a lot. I didn't realize he was a good contact hitter. That makes him appeal a lot more to me now. I don't want that to put a wrench in the 2018 FA class but nothing is guaranteed two years from now either.

Moose is a very good player but unless we can get Machado, i would rather see them go with Andujar as long as his glove improves, or some combo of Torres/ Castro or won of the other glut of young infielder coming up. To me Machado is a game changer on both sides of the ball, because he's so young he would be the same age as our new core guys and we don't need him to come in and be the team MVP or leader since we already have that in Judge, Didi and Sanchez.

Moose is a great player and he had a big yr in his walk yr, I would rather see what we have in our own guys rather than spend a ton of money for a long time on Moose. Especially this off season when we are try to get under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Moose is a very good player but unless we can get Machado, i would rather see them go with Andujar as long as his glove improves, or some combo of Torres/ Castro or won of the other glut of young infielder coming up. To me Machado is a game changer on both sides of the ball, because he's so young he would be the same age as our new core guys and we don't need him to come in and be the team MVP or leader since we already have that in Judge, Didi and Sanchez.

Moose is a great player and he had a big yr in his walk yr, I would rather see what we have in our own guys rather than spend a ton of money for a long time on Moose. Especially this off season when we are try to get under the cap.
    I agree on Moose... He's good, but with Machado available next year, this year needs to be about finding out if the youth can do the job or if the yanks need to look at Manny. I'd rather see the Yanks go with a mixture of Headley, Andujar, Torres and/or Castro there this year and see if they already have the guy, or do they need to consider Manny next year. Headley is clearly in his last season with the team, but is Andujar or Torres/Castro able to take over the reins? (I put both of them together assuming that if Castro is here, then Torres has bumped him from 2nd and I'm not as locked in with him at 2nd as many here are.. many a SS prospect has gone on to become start 3rd baseman... Ripken went from 3rd to SS and back late in his career.. Chipper Jones was a SS early in his career but moved to 3rd due to need.. as did Machado I've read...So at this point, Torres could go either way.. and neither would cause me to cry any tears.)

Harper is the other big name for next year, but at the same time the yanks are so deep in the OF that I'm not sure we don't just let the kids play things out. Harper is a rare talent, but he's also going to want the salary to match. Judge, Hicks, Frazier look like a damn find OF for years to come... at rookie salaries.. plus you still have Gardy and McKinney and a few others in the Minors who are going to start pushing upwards as well.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

It might be a moot Moose point now that KC made a qualifying offer to Moose last night. Originally, they were going to pick between Hosner and Moose and elected Hosner, but now they made three of them to the two of them and Cain.

I'm guessing that Cashman will not want to give up the draft pick compensation required this year, since the team will likely give it up next year with the great free agent class. It ties in with the plan and as a plus, we might as well sign multiple free agents in the same year and only lose the compensation that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    Yeah Sev is there bc they had to pick 3
    Interesting fact is that there are 32 teams, but a very low and rapidly declining number of pitchers with 200 innings pitched (15 in all of MLB. This means that less than half the league have a workhorse on their staff.

One of his accomplishments this year is that Severino is one of the 15.

Harper is a much better player than Machado IMO. Manny is special too but he just isn't the hitter Harper is. His value is tied so much in his great defense and while that's important, IDK, call me shallow but it doesn't do it for me like guys who make their money at the plate.

I really, really want Harper. He's just so ****ing good. Trade who you need to. My vision would be Judge in RF, Harper in LF. COF and middle of the order staples for years to come. Then for CF you have 3 options:

1) Aaron Hicks
    2) Clint Frazier
    3) Estevan Florial

Hicks only has this upcoming year and the following one before he hits FA entering his age 30 season. I don't view him as a long-term piece because I don't want to pay him through his 30s. Pending change depending on the consistency/progress he shows but that's how I fee as of now.

Clint Frazier I'm not sure can play CF. He played that in CLE's system but we've only used him in the corners since we got him (minors and majors). So in this scenario, he might be trade bait. And that's fine by me if we're talking about making room for Harper.

So my plan would be to stick with Hicks for 2019 in between Judge/Harper and then for 2020 hopefully Florial is ready to take over (after getting a look late in 2019) with a lower cost veteran insurance plan.

Going back to Frazier, I'd move him in a package for an ace. Hopefulyl we sign Otani this year which sets us up for the following rotation:

Sevy (signed through 2022 season)
    Tanaka (signed through 2020 season)
    Gray (signed through 2019 season)
    Montgomery (signed through 2023 season)
    Otani (would be signed through the 2023 or 2024 season I believe)

There's a ton of long-term control there but we still have Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield, Domingo Acevedo, Albert Abreu, Jorge Guzman, Freicer Perez, Matt Sauer and Clarke Schmidt as starting pitcher prospects in our top 12 prospects (per MLB.com rankings). So there's a surplus of controllable long-term pitching.

This time next year I'd look to move one of Gray (in his last year) or Tanaka (2 years left) to avoid paying guys long-term and add to the farm even more. Then I'd take Frazier, who was displaced by Harper, along with some of those prospects and deal for an ACE type pitcher if there's one available to slot into the spot left vacated by Gray or Tanaka. And then the prospects left and replace the other starters as they hit FA if we don't want to re-sign.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    It might be a moot Moose point now that KC made a qualifying offer to Moose last night. Originally, they were going to pick between Hosner and Moose and elected Hosner, but now they made three of them to the two of them and Cain.

I'm guessing that Cashman will not want to give up the draft pick compensation required this year, since the team will likely give it up next year with the great free agent class. It ties in with the plan and as a plus, we might as well sign multiple free agents in the same year and only lose the compensation that year.
    I think they changed it so you only give up like a 4th. I don't think that's a big factor anymore.

I think we need to see what Gray can give us in the next season. He went from a ground ball pitcher with a good sinking fastball for the A's to a pitcher that bounced a lot of pitches and when he got the ball up gave up a lot of HRs. If he recaptures his ability to locate his pitches, he might be great and we keep him. If not, I agree that he could be traded to make room for either an ace or up and coming pitchers in the system.

I'm not sure what to do about Tanaka in 3 years. That's a long time.

Frazier should be given a chance in CF until Florial is ready. He is scouted as having Mike Trout's bat speed. Let's see it. My biggest problem with the Yankees in the playoffs was their failure to put him on the roster against the Astros. We could have used him.

I think we need to see what Gray can give us in the next season. He went from a ground ball pitcher with a good sinking fastball for the A's to a pitcher that bounced a lot of pitches and when he got the ball up gave up a lot of HRs. If he recaptures his ability to locate his pitches, he might be great and we keep him. If not, I agree that he could be traded to make room for either an ace or up and coming pitchers in the system.

I'm not sure what to do about Tanaka in 3 years. That's a long time.

Frazier should be given a chance in CF until Florial is ready. He is scouted as having Mike Trout's bat speed. Let's see it. My biggest problem with the Yankees in the playoffs was their failure to put him on the roster against the Astros. We could have used him.
    I'm not advocating trading Gray at all for this year. No way. He's good and he'll show it this year. He had a rough stretch going in and fell behind 3 good starters. Nothing alarming.

However, I don't think he's here past his current years of control. We have him for next year (age 28 season) and 2019 (age 29 season). With so much controllable pitching in hand, I hope we aren't position to seriously want to extend him beyond that. Paying for a FA starter going into their age 30 season just isn't smart, IMO. So that's why I suggest that this time next year when he's going into his last year, if we have immediate replacements, we consider moving him to get ahead of that and receive something back for him leaving. If we get Otani then I believe we will be in that position either through call-up (Chance Adams) or potentially a trade for an even better starter.

In terms of Frazier, he absolutely deserves a chance and should get it this year once we dump Ellsbury. But Harper is such a special talent that I want him next year. We have tremendous flexibility financially and he's just the smartest way to spend it, IMO. Rather than sign a lesser pitcher or whatever, get the better hitter and trade from surplus. If Frazier can't cut it in CF then I'm fine moving him but obviously I would demand high value. If he can play CF, then I agree, hang onto him and then deal with Florial when that time comes. I just feel like if they thought he could play there he would have been.

Interesting fact is that there are 32 teams, but a very low and rapidly declining number of pitchers with 200 innings pitched (15 in all of MLB. This means that less than half the league have a workhorse on their staff.

One of his accomplishments this year is that Severino is one of the 15.
    Hmmm., odd... Sevy only threw 193 innings... not sure how he becomes one of the 15..(yes his playoff numbers pushed him over.. but those 15 were regular season only stats... )

That declining number is less about the players themselves and more about how teams use their bullpens...

Back in the old days.. they had 4 man rotations and if you started, you were expected to finish...
    in the late 60's - 70's... teams moved to 5 man rotations.. still, you were going in expecting to go 9... you may not go 9. but that was the goal every night.
    in the 80's, you started having defined bullpen rolls and usage... closers, middle relief, long men... etc.. you now start seeing pitchers expected to give the team 6 innings

Today's game.. you have teams using strict pitch counts, defined bull pen rolls..etc.. guys are not getting there like they used to because teams are not using them the same way anymore...

At the same time... more than a few of the "Horses" spent time on the DL causing them to not get the 200+ they would normally see...

Again.. Injuries aside... it's more in how the managers are using them now than the pitchers themselves... I expect Sevy will crack that number next year
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Harper is a much better player than Machado IMO. Manny is special too but he just isn't the hitter Harper is. His value is tied so much in his great defense and while that's important, IDK, call me shallow but it doesn't do it for me like guys who make their money at the plate.

I really, really want Harper. He's just so ****ing good. Trade who you need to. My vision would be Judge in RF, Harper in LF. COF and middle of the order staples for years to come. Then for CF you have 3 options:

1) Aaron Hicks
    2) Clint Frazier
    3) Estevan Florial

Hicks only has this upcoming year and the following one before he hits FA entering his age 30 season. I don't view him as a long-term piece because I don't want to pay him through his 30s. Pending change depending on the consistency/progress he shows but that's how I fee as of now.

Clint Frazier I'm not sure can play CF. He played that in CLE's system but we've only used him in the corners since we got him (minors and majors). So in this scenario, he might be trade bait. And that's fine by me if we're talking about making room for Harper.

So my plan would be to stick with Hicks for 2019 in between Judge/Harper and then for 2020 hopefully Florial is ready to take over (after getting a look late in 2019) with a lower cost veteran insurance plan.

Going back to Frazier, I'd move him in a package for an ace. Hopefulyl we sign Otani this year which sets us up for the following rotation:

Sevy (signed through 2022 season)
    Tanaka (signed through 2020 season)
    Gray (signed through 2019 season)
    Montgomery (signed through 2023 season)
    Otani (would be signed through the 2023 or 2024 season I believe)

There's a ton of long-term control there but we still have Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield, Domingo Acevedo, Albert Abreu, Jorge Guzman, Freicer Perez, Matt Sauer and Clarke Schmidt as starting pitcher prospects in our top 12 prospects (per MLB.com rankings). So there's a surplus of controllable long-term pitching.

This time next year I'd look to move one of Gray (in his last year) or Tanaka (2 years left) to avoid paying guys long-term and add to the farm even more. Then I'd take Frazier, who was displaced by Harper, along with some of those prospects and deal for an ACE type pitcher if there's one available to slot into the spot left vacated by Gray or Tanaka. And then the prospects left and replace the other starters as they hit FA if we don't want to re-sign.
    I can appreciated your love of Harper... but for a GM, that's the sign of a bad GM. You can fall in love with players because they invariably will become your downfall.

I would not be looking at either one at this time and thinking about them. I also would not dismiss the possibility, but you still have a season to play first and you have other young guys you need to give the shot at the big league level. How those players turn out may make your decisions easier. Does Andujar and/or Torres make the jump and take over a spot at 3rd... if either do, Machado becomes less appealing...

How Frazier plays this season (as well as the many others) very well could dictate on Harper too...

We also need to think about this: If you could sign only 1 of the 2, who would it be?
    Harper is clearly the better bat... though that could also become a negative because he's LH and LH UFA's have a bad habit of getting pull-happy in Yankee stadium... Harper is also a solid defender.. he can be a bit of a PIG to his teamates and fans though and in NY, that will be multiplied.. but that's been lived with before so...He'll also have probably the highest price tag in all of baseball. Question marks if he's signed... who plays 3rd?
    Machado is a very solid bat, and one of the best with the leather at his position... like Harper, he's no choirboy... but he'll also be much cheaper than Harper.. Possibly even enough to pay for a very solid OF'er to replace Harper (like possibly a guy like Gardner). Question marks if he's signed: We're deep in young OF talent. Not getting Harper won't leave us with a giant hole in the OF, but it may leave the Yanks with money enough to sign another Pitcher.

Still, tons of questions.. I'd prefer.. to have the young players step up this season and make BOTH un-needed luxuries... does not mean the Yanks don't sign one or both.. just that their presence is not REQUIRED to make the Yanks a contender.. it just would be a bonus...
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

The more I crunch the numbers and look at the possibilities, the more I want Moose. People talk about Machado but I don't see Hal wanting both Harper and Machado. As I explained above, I prefer Harper so I'd invest all the resources in him over Machado.

Going off the $28.8M to spend I calculated earlier...

Trade Castro ($8.6M tax #) to the Mets for Blevins ($7M). Savings of $1.6M and add a lefty to the pen (need area, IMO).

Trade Ellsbury to free up $5M. Frazier takes his spot in the OF rotation.

Those moves get us up to $35.4M to spend.

Sign Otani for the last rotation spot. He'll be a minimum salary guy since the bonus doesn't count so he just takes one of the minimum salary spots I projected into my calculations.

Sign Alex Avila to a 2 year $16M deal. That's $8M for tax purposes but also allows us to DFA Romine who was included in my projections at $1.2M. So the net added payroll is $6.8M. That gives us $28.6M left to spend.

Projections for Moose are $17M so he fits easily into that. Our team would be:

Rotation: Sevy / Tanaka / Gray / Monty / Otani

Bullpen: Chapman / D-Rob / Kahnle / Green / Warren / Blevins / Betances

Position player rotation (by games started)

C: Sanchez (90), Avila (72)
    1B: Bird (130), Headley (32)
    2B: Torres (130), Torreyes (32)
    3B: Moose (110), Andujar (52)
    SS: Didi (140), Torreyes (22)
    LF: Gardner (88), Frazier (74)
    CF: Hicks (125), Gardner (37)
    RF: Judge (118), Frazier (44)
    DH: Andujar (66), Sanchez (40), Moose (25), Judge (22)

Total starts...

Judge - 140
    Sanchez - 140
    Didi - 140
    Moose - 135
    Bird - 130
    Torres - 130
    Hicks - 125
    Gardner - 125
    Andujar - 118
    Frazier - 118
    Avila - 72
    Torreyes - 54
    Headley - 32

I think that's ample opportunity for everyone to play and develop next year and the team looks terrific on paper IMO. During the season try to teach Andujar 1B that way going forward he can be a backup at 3B, 1B and then DH for about a 3rd of the games. Between that he gets a full season worth of starts each year without having to lock up the DH spot and allowing us the lefty power of both Bird/Moose.

Then after the season you sign Harper. He becomes the everyday left fielder.

Package Clint Frazier with Chance Adams and go get you an ACE type pitcher. All 5 starters would be back so trade Gray in his last year to open up a spot (and recoup some prospect value). In the OF you sign some vet cheap to be the 4th OF for a couple of years. Hicks would hold down CF in '19 and then Florial hopefully takes over in '20. But that vet gives you depth in '19 and then a fallback plan in '20.

After the '19 season, going into 2020, Justus Sheffield should be ready after likely getting called up at some point in '19. So you move Tanaka in the last year of his deal at that point to open up that spot. Basically, you just keep churning the older guys out when young guys are ready. Keeps the farm system well stocked and puts you in position where you don't need to spend unless the player is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    The more I crunch the numbers and look at the possibilities, the more I want Moose. People talk about Machado but I don't see Hal wanting both Harper and Machado. As I explained above, I prefer Harper so I'd invest all the resources in him over Machado.

Going off the $28.8M to spend I calculated earlier...

Trade Castro ($8.6M tax #) to the Mets for Blevins ($7M). Savings of $1.6M and add a lefty to the pen (need area, IMO).

Trade Ellsbury to free up $5M. Frazier takes his spot in the OF rotation.

Those moves get us up to $35.4M to spend.

Sign Otani for the last rotation spot. He'll be a minimum salary guy since the bonus doesn't count so he just takes one of the minimum salary spots I projected into my calculations.

Sign Alex Avila to a 2 year $16M deal. That's $8M for tax purposes but also allows us to DFA Romine who was included in my projections at $1.2M. So the net added payroll is $6.8M. That gives us $28.6M left to spend.

Projections for Moose are $17M so he fits easily into that. Our team would be:

Rotation: Sevy / Tanaka / Gray / Monty / Otani

Bullpen: Chapman / D-Rob / Kahnle / Green / Warren / Blevins / Betances

Position player rotation (by games started)

C: Sanchez (90), Avila (72)
    1B: Bird (130), Headley (32)
    2B: Torres (130), Torreyes (32)
    3B: Moose (110), Andujar (52)
    SS: Didi (140), Torreyes (22)
    LF: Gardner (88), Frazier (74)
    CF: Hicks (125), Gardner (37)
    RF: Judge (118), Frazier (44)
    DH: Andujar (66), Sanchez (40), Moose (25), Judge (22)

Total starts...

Judge - 140
    Sanchez - 140
    Didi - 140
    Moose - 135
    Bird - 130
    Torres - 130
    Hicks - 125
    Gardner - 125
    Andujar - 118
    Frazier - 118
    Avila - 72
    Torreyes - 54
    Headley - 32

I think that's ample opportunity for everyone to play and develop next year and the team looks terrific on paper IMO. During the season try to teach Andujar 1B that way going forward he can be a backup at 3B, 1B and then DH for about a 3rd of the games. Between that he gets a full season worth of starts each year without having to lock up the DH spot and allowing us the lefty power of both Bird/Moose.

Then after the season you sign Harper. He becomes the everyday left fielder.

Package Clint Frazier with Chance Adams and go get you an ACE type pitcher. All 5 starters would be back so trade Gray in his last year to open up a spot (and recoup some prospect value). In the OF you sign some vet cheap to be the 4th OF for a couple of years. Hicks would hold down CF in '19 and then Florial hopefully takes over in '20. But that vet gives you depth in '19 and then a fallback plan in '20.

After the '19 season, going into 2020, Justus Sheffield should be ready after likely getting called up at some point in '19. So you move Tanaka in the last year of his deal at that point to open up that spot. Basically, you just keep churning the older guys out when young guys are ready. Keeps the farm system well stocked and puts you in position where you don't need to spend unless the player is worth it.
    The only problem I can see is that you are ASSUMING that other will agree with your trade plans.. wwhich in the real world.. THAT DON'T HAPPEN...

Blevins for Castro.... Might happen.. probably would not.
    Somebody taking Ells... even with minimal savings... might happen.. probably not
    signing Avila to be our backup... your money sounds like th ballpark.. but he'll probably go somewhere else just to start.

Moose? Well, he might get only that.. but I expect he'll probably fetch a bigger number. Not certain he'd come here anyway...

You assume everything would just work and it'll be like a computer game... real life don't play that game...

First, I've not heard yet but I've not heard anyone in the Yankees even thinking about BullPen at this point... Shreve has been fine and had better numbers than everyone here bashing him would want to admit to. Blevins numbers are on par with Shreves.. in fact... Blevins had a better ERA and SO's.. but Shreve had a better opponant BA and WHIP. To be honest, the few differences in numbers might just be due to the home ballpark (the ball flies out of Yankee stadium better than Citi field)... so, why bother making this move... Shreve is cheaper and no worse than blevins...
    I also don't see the Yanks moving Castro this season unless they A. Get something big for him... or B. Mid-season after Torres has proven he's ready to bump Castro out. Yanks will probably start him at AAA if only because he missed so much time last year. Also not sure if they don't move him to 3rd if Headley struggles this year again. He'll go where they NEED him more than where they WANT him...

I realize that his is more what YOU would want... but to be honest.. my biggest issue is... just because you have freed up money does not mean you HAVE to spend it. You might find that by banking it... players won't be so quick to demand a premium to play here if they know you won't have a problem just saving the money...

Not only that.. but I'm not a Moose fan either.. I'm rooting for Andujar or Torres to push Headley out of the way before the Yanks use UFA on a 3rd baseman.

just too many assumptions... like your playing "The Show" and not playing real life monopoly..
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    The only problem I can see is that you are ASSUMING that other will agree with your trade plans.. wwhich in the real world.. THAT DON'T HAPPEN...

Blevins for Castro.... Might happen.. probably would not.
    Somebody taking Ells... even with minimal savings... might happen.. probably not
    signing Avila to be our backup... your money sounds like th ballpark.. but he'll probably go somewhere else just to start.

Moose? Well, he might get only that.. but I expect he'll probably fetch a bigger number. Not certain he'd come here anyway...

You assume everything would just work and it'll be like a computer game... real life don't play that game...
    Well it's an offseason plan. I'm not assuming everything will happen. I'm making what I think are reasonable projections for moves I'd like to see made.

You're 100% right that the Mets could decline Blevins for Castro. But my rationale for thinking that they would accept is that they have a terrible IF situation. Blevins at $7M is kind of expensive for a reliever and Castro at $8.6M is a solid value I think. He gives them a multi-year solution on the IF compared to 1 year of a reliever. I think it fits their roster needs well. They might decline of course but again, I think it's a reasonable idea.

I don't think moving Ells will be a problem as I've stated. He's still a 2-3 WAR player. If he were a FA he would EASILY get $5M. So if we pay him down to that I don't think it would be an issue to move him. The big obstacle would actually be his NTC which might shut him off to certain teams. But then again, would he want to be a 5th outfielder here over starter somewhere else? I think not. But he's not a bad player... he's just overpaid. So if we pay him down to $5M he's a bargain and will be easy to move, IMO.

Avila could get a starting job somewhere but his games started at catcher by year are 72 last year, 52 in '16 and 43 in '15. He was a starter before that but the last 3 years he's been a backup. And when he was available at the deadline last year no one traded for him to be a starter so he ended up as a backup in CHI after being acquired. So I think the plan I proposed that had him starting 72 games is a fair offer for what I project out there and like you said, the money is in line with projections. Again, you're 100% correct that someone could offer him a full time gig or even more money. In which case we don't land him. But again, I think it's a reasonable projection.

In regards to Moose, he could get more too. And I don't have an unlimited price tag on him. But at what he's projected to get, which I used in my plan above, I think it's a fair value. Obviously he could get more and then the plan adjusts accordingly.

First, I've not heard yet but I've not heard anyone in the Yankees even thinking about BullPen at this point... Shreve has been fine and had better numbers than everyone here bashing him would want to admit to. Blevins numbers are on par with Shreves.. in fact... Blevins had a better ERA and SO's.. but Shreve had a better opponant BA and WHIP. To be honest, the few differences in numbers might just be due to the home ballpark (the ball flies out of Yankee stadium better than Citi field)... so, why bother making this move... Shreve is cheaper and no worse than blevins...
    At the deadline last year, if you remember, the Yankees actually checked in on Brad Hand and Justin Wilson, left handed relief aces that were available at the time. If you look at our bullpen, Shreve is the only lefty outside of Chapman. He was tough on lefties last year, but historically he isn't really a "lefty specialist" his value comes from the fact that he's a lefty who can pitch to righties too. I think we would be better off with a specialist since with our BP depth we don't really need the guy who can face righties too. So I looked at Blevins as a guy who can upgrade that specialized role.

I'm also totally fine keeping Schreve. Part of this move was just the Castro stuff (which I'll explain more below). With signing Moose that removed 3B as a path for Torres or Andujar to play more, which is important to me like it is you. I like Moose a lot more than Castro though (not a big Castro fan). With upgrading there and Bird likely to upgrade 1B over the season, I was ok with moving Castro to free up that playing time.

I also don't see the Yanks moving Castro this season unless they A. Get something big for him... or B. Mid-season after Torres has proven he's ready to bump Castro out. Yanks will probably start him at AAA if only because he missed so much time last year. Also not sure if they don't move him to 3rd if Headley struggles this year again. He'll go where they NEED him more than where they WANT him...
    I've said all offseason that I don't think Castro will be moved and Torres will start at AAA. But just with me projecting to sign Moose I thought it upgraded us enough to where we can make that move and be OK. It's kind of a full roster puzzle.

I realize that his is more what YOU would want... but to be honest.. my biggest issue is... just because you have freed up money does not mean you HAVE to spend it. You might find that by banking it... players won't be so quick to demand a premium to play here if they know you won't have a problem just saving the money...

Not only that.. but I'm not a Moose fan either.. I'm rooting for Andujar or Torres to push Headley out of the way before the Yanks use UFA on a 3rd baseman.

just too many assumptions... like your playing "The Show" and not playing real life monopoly..
    I totally agree with not spending just to spend. And I don't think I did that. Maybe you disagree. But I felt I outlined why it made long-term and short-term sense. I explained how I thought there was still ample opportunity for the young guys short and long-term.

And again, it's a plan. Obviously you adjust if things go wrong. If Moose makes too much then you pass. And that would set the domino that I probably keep Castro, which means no Blevins which means Shreve stays and then Torres plays 3B instead of 2B. Or maybe Andujar to 3B, Torres to 2B Castro to DH. Or maybe you dump Headley to keep Frazier in that case because you like him as a 3B better. And then still move Maybe Otani doesn't sign so you bring back CC instead.

I could go on and on and on and on and on with the what-ifs like that. I could make a what-if flowchart like you've never seen before. It's obvious in any offseason plan that that's the case. It's a discussion forum though so it was just a post of a cohesive long-term plan I'd like to see come together. Obviously you'd have to adjust if certain things don't happen. But it's not like I'm projecting Moose or Avila to take the minimum or to trade Castro for the #1 prospect in baseball. Everything I said is definitely realistic IMO, even if it ends up wrong.

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast