Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Torres injury is one we see often from the bump.. and it's not uncommon for those guys to take 18 months to round back into shape... Torres is not a pitcher, but he will need some time at AAA if only to make up some missed time from last year.. but also to round out into shape as well.

Whether they use him at 2nd, 3rd or SS... that's also subject to debate that this time.. I don't care what you think.. because ultimatly just like myself.. our opionions don't have any bearing on reality.

Castro should stick around... and if Torres can come up early.. Castro may become a deadline deal... or he may come up as an injury replacement too.. to either Castro or Headley...

No need to rush him yet. And Foolish to expect him to be ready opening day...
    Torres injury was to his non throwing arm, rehab on that is 6-8 month. Torres is already back hitting of a tee and sort toss. Developmentally they may decide that he isn't ready coming out of ST but physically he will be ready.

As far as Castro goes i think we need him next yr, were really not sure how ready Wade, Torres or Andujar really are. That said i would be spending alot of time at third base if i were him. Torres was having some trouble adjusting to 3rd last yr and i really doubt they plan of Torres playing 3rd long term. Let him start, when he's ready, at such stay there. His bat will play way up their and its closer to his natural position.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Torres injury was to his non throwing arm, rehab on that is 6-8 month. Torres is already back hitting of a tee and sort toss. Developmentally they may decide that he isn't ready coming out of ST but physically he will be ready.

As far as Castro goes i think we need him next yr, were really not sure how ready Wade, Torres or Andujar really are. That said i would be spending alot of time at third base if i were him. Torres was having some trouble adjusting to 3rd last yr and i really doubt they plan of Torres playing 3rd long term. Let him start, when he's ready, at such stay there. His bat will play way up their and its closer to his natural position.
    I expect that if he had played the whole season at AAA, he's probably got a very good chance at being on the opening day roster... but since he missed so much time last year, he's probably starting at AAA on principle simply to make up for the lost parts of last season. Not saying it couldn't happen.. but Judge in 2016 had a torrent spring and he still spent most of the year in AAA.

I just don't see the Yanks making that big splash this offseason with the exception of Otani (assuming he is posted.) Next year is the better year and they just have too much reason to not spend money this year between the expiring deals and the large pile of young talent ready to make the jump not to mention the luxury tax reset...

No, with 4 out of the 5 rotation spots filled solidly, the bullpen is set and having someone starting at all places.. I expect that the only big deals would be moving Ells and or Gardy.

I expect a quiet offseason, which I know will kill many on this forum who fell in love with the George years of making big moves every year... this year, I just don't see the need to make anything big.
    My 3 Favorite teams...
    1. The NY Yankees
    2. The Colorado Rockies
    3. Whoever is playing the Red Sox tonight!

Torres to 2B when he's ready. Castro to 3B immediately. Wade and Torreyes can platoon at 2B until Torres is ready, if need be and Headley can get occasional time as backup 3B and 1B and some DH.

Of course all bets are off if they sign Moustakis (discussed in an article today, which probably wouldn't happen) and trade Castro. If they did sign Moustakis, it would indicate that they'd be willing to give up on Machado sweepstakes to balance the lineup with a lefty.

Don't know if the money would work out, but it wouldn't be bad to have Moose at 3B and trading Castro to the Mets for Blevins (we could use a lefty reliever) and signing Otani, as LH DH. Next year opening day line-up lineup against right handers could include lefthanders, Gardner, Bird, Didi, Moustakis, Otani and Wade, with a switch hitting Hicks in CF and an occasional Ellsbury or Headley, as well, if they can't be traded, especially on the days surrounding Otani's starts. Those lefties would make a good sandwich around Judge and Sanchez, as the only two righties. OF course, if you can also trade the dead wood of Ellsbury and Headley, then you could have Andujar in the mix as well.

World Series Champion line-up:

LF Gardner
    2B Torres
    3B Moustakis
    C Sanchez
    1B Didi
    RF Judge
    1B Bird
    DH Otani / Andujar
    CF Hicks

This is just one possible version. Of course, we can interchange players whichever way they look best and there will be another reshuffling the following year if they sign Harper for LF and allow Gardner to leave.

2B Torres
    3B Moustakis
    RF Judge
    LF Harper
    C Sanchez
    SS Didi
    DH Otani/ Andujar
    1B Bird - Wait, that's too low, LOL
    CF Hicks

A lot of good decisions going forward.

Don't forget Torres had an exceptional ST last season. There was some speculation had he not been injured he may have taken over for Castro when he pulled the hamstring. I believe the FO has faith and confidence in his ability to take over at 2B.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    World Series Champion line-up:

LF Gardner
    2B Torres
    3B Moustakis
    C Sanchez
    1B Didi
    RF Judge
    1B Bird
    DH Otani / Andujar
    CF Hicks

This is just one possible version. Of course, we can interchange players whichever way they look best and there will be another reshuffling the following year if they sign Harper for LF and allow Gardner to leave.

2B Torres
    3B Moustakis
    RF Judge
    LF Harper
    C Sanchez
    SS Didi
    DH Otani/ Andujar
    1B Bird - Wait, that's too low, LOL
    CF Hicks

A lot of good decisions going forward.
    Sounds good...on paper. I see several additions ( Bevins, Otani, Moustakis, Torres, Andujar) and one subtraction (Castro). Will they all fit on the 25 man?
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Earlier in the thread I broke down the luxury tax but made a mistake (counted Chapman at Gardner's $13M number but left Chapman's own $17.2M out). Also there was the Tanaka uncertainty. I updated below to show where we stand:

2018 Luxury Tax Tracker:

Dead Money
    McCann - $5,500,000
    Total: $5,500,000

Long-term contracts (counted at average annual value)
    1) Tanaka - $22,142,857 (can opt out)
    2) Ellsbury - $21,857,143
    3) Chapman - $17,200,000
    4) Gardner - $13,000,000
    5) Headley - $13,000,000
    6) Robertson - $11,500,000
    7) Castro - $8,571,429
    Total: $107,271,429

Running Total: $112,771,429

Arbitration Projections
    source: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-for-2018.html
    8) Warren - $3,100,000
    9) Didi - $9,000,000
    10) Betances - $4,400,000
    11) Gray - $6,600,000
    12) Romine - $1,200,000
    13) Hicks - $2,900,000
    14) Kahnle - $1,300,000
    15) Shreve - $900,000
    Total: $29,400,000

Running Total: $142,171,429

That's the running total for 15 players and dead money. Next pool would be for pre-arbitration guys. Judge, Bird, Sanchez, Torreyes all fall into this category. The Yankees can assign them whatever they want for salary from the minimum to a little more. I'm sure they'll be relatively generous with guys like Judge and Sanchez that have established some type of track record. All in all, I'll project as a rough estimate an average of $600K for the remaining 11 spots on the 25 man roster.
    Total ($600K * 10): $6,000,000

Running Total: $148,171,429

So after that now we get to the rest of the 40 man roster and player benefits. Just to be conservative I'll say they total $20M.

Final Total = $168,571,429

So by my calculations, we'll have about $28,828,571 of money to spend under the $197M tax threshold.
    First move needs to be finding a taker for Ellsbury. Save what you can and open up time for C. Frazier, who should be an upgrade. I don't think we save a lot of money but hey, every bit helps.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

That's a list of FA predictions. I'd target two outside players there: Alex Avila who's projected to earn an AAV of $8M, and Tony Watson, who's projected to earn an AAV of $6M.

Avila will give us a legit backup. Instead of Romine's garbage offense we'd have a legit guy back there when Sanchez sits. And Sanchez is a 40 HR pace hitter so it'd be nice to be able to DH more and keep his bat in the game.

We have 6 great relievers but no lefty other than Chapman for the middle innings. Watson addresses that.

Those guys would use a combined $14M of the $28.8M I forecast us being able to spend (plus whatever we save on Ellsbury. Hopefully we sign Otani and then I think we're done. But if not, the rest of the money goes to a one year stop gap starter.

We could also go bigger for Moustakas. Skip out on upgrading backup catcher and 7th reliever for a starting 3B. But that also eats into the starting pitcher money. That means even if we missed on Otani we'd need to go cheap with guys like Cessa, Mitchell, etc. (unless Chance Adams is ready who would at least give more confidence).

If we get Moose I can see us eating money to dump Headley but it'd be negligible savings so likely just keep him for the bench anyway. Could do that Castro for Blevins swap if they're really sold on Torres but not sure they put 100% faith in him right away just because he's unproven.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Sounds good...on paper. I see several additions ( Bevins, Otani, Moustakis, Torres, Andujar) and one subtraction (Castro). Will they all fit on the 25 man?
    Bevins would push Shreve off the roster as the 7th reliever. Castro traded away opens up the spot for Torres. Holliday gone opens up the spot for Andujar. Frazier gone opens up the spot for Moose. Sabathia gone opens up the spot for Otani.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Edit-gross

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Bevins would push Shreve off the roster as the 7th reliever. Castro traded away opens up the spot for Torres. Holliday gone opens up the spot for Andujar. Frazier gone opens up the spot for Moose. Sabathia gone opens up the spot for Otani.
    Castro for Daniel Murphy. Castro takes over second for them and is defensive upgrade with a very good bat. Murphy slots as the every day DH who can spell Torres, Bird and Andujar.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 11-06-2017 at 05:25 PM.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Free Agency is beginning. We'll see what develops tonight.

Then, as you also mention, we take what we can for Ellsbury and possibly Headley for more flexibility.

Moose is definitely an interest idea to splurge on. I read a projection for him at 5 years, $17M per. That's not a super outlandish price. He's got good power and usually grades as an excellent defender. His lefty bat would fit well in the lineup I think. He's going into age 29 season so 5 years wouldn't take you super past his prime. He's not a great player though and doesn't walk a lot.

As I said above we have about $28M to spend. We could do Castro for Blevins and add another $1.6M to that total while addressing the need for a lefty reliever. That means Torres needs to take over 2B right away with only Torreyes (and I guess Wade) to fallback on if he flops. Move Ellsbury to free up another $5M (hopefully more).

That gives about $35.4M to spend ($28.8 + $1.6 + $5), maybe more if Ellsbury is traded for more than $5M in relief. With that you could probably get Moose for 3B and Avila to be the backup catcher. Round out the rotation with Otani...

Rotation: Sevy/Tanaka/Gray/Monty/Otani... I think we all feel great about that.

Bullpen: Chapman/D-Rob/Green/Kahnle/Warren/Blevins/Betances... I think we all feel great about that.

Lineup:

LF Gardner
    RF Judge
    1B Bird
    C Sanchez
    3B Moose
    CF Hicks
    SS Didi
    DH Andujar
    2B Torres

That looks pretty nice on paper...

Bench:

OF Frazier
    C Avila
    IF Torreyes
    1B/3B/DH Headley

I think that's pretty solid depth. Otani could also rotate in at DH too if he's good at hitting.

Moose is definitely an interest idea to splurge on. I read a projection for him at 5 years, $17M per. That's not a super outlandish price. He's got good power and usually grades as an excellent defender. His lefty bat would fit well in the lineup I think. He's going into age 29 season so 5 years wouldn't take you super past his prime. He's not a great player though and doesn't walk a lot.

As I said above we have about $28M to spend. We could do Castro for Blevins and add another $1.6M to that total while addressing the need for a lefty reliever. That means Torres needs to take over 2B right away with only Torreyes (and I guess Wade) to fallback on if he flops. Move Ellsbury to free up another $5M (hopefully more).

That gives about $35.4M to spend ($28.8 + $1.6 + $5), maybe more if Ellsbury is traded for more than $5M in relief. With that you could probably get Moose for 3B and Avila to be the backup catcher. Round out the rotation with Otani...

Rotation: Sevy/Tanaka/Gray/Monty/Otani... I think we all feel great about that.

Bullpen: Chapman/D-Rob/Green/Kahnle/Warren/Blevins/Betances... I think we all feel great about that.

Lineup:

LF Gardner
    RF Judge
    1B Bird
    C Sanchez
    3B Moose
    CF Hicks
    SS Didi
    DH Andujar
    2B Torres

That looks pretty nice on paper...

Bench:

OF Frazier
    C Avila
    IF Torreyes
    1B/3B/DH Headley

I think that's pretty solid depth. Otani could also rotate in at DH too if he's good at hitting.
    Done.

One other thing. Moose is a contact hitter with low strikeouts, so even though he doesn't walk a lot, he does put the ball in play a lot.

YES Network‏Verified account @YESNetwork 24m24 minutes ago

2017 AL Cy Young Award finalists:

⚾️ Luis Severino
    ⚾️ Chris Sale
    ⚾️ Corey Kluber

Most Starts w/ 1 Run or fewer allowed in AL:

Luis Severino 16
    Chris Sale 14
    Corey Kluber 14
    Carlos Carrasco 14
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-06-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Kluber probably wins it.

Andujar needs to be given every shot to win job this spring.

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast