Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

New York Yankees Official 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

Let's get it poppin

If a mod could sticky this. Thanks.

Tonight's loss sucked but gotta say the future looks bright for this team.

Valuable playoff experience for the young players on this team.

Trade, fire and DFA every player, coach and staff member.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Trade, fire and DFA every player, coach and staff member.

Stop being mush 2.0

Joe G doesn't sound like a man who thinks he will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by kj244 View Post
    Mixed feeling about him. I think he did a good job. Great preparation. But, he doesn't make in game adjustments based upon what he sees during the game.

I think he's done too. He just looks like a guy that need a break to re-energize. Who is available? Red Sox stole Corra.
    Dusty baker?

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Joe G doesn't sound like a man who thinks he will be back.
    Mixed feeling about him. I think he did a good job. Great preparation. But, he doesn't make in game adjustments based upon what he sees during the game.

I think he's done too. He just looks like a guy that need a break to re-energize. Who is available? Red Sox stole Corra.

Stop being mush 2.0
    I was being sarcastic. I'm not mad about this season. I'm more just sad that it's over. I had more fun watching this years team than I have in a long time. We have a very bright future and a lot to look forward to. This was just the beginning. I'm proud of the year we had.
    Dusty baker?
    Absolutely not

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I was being sarcastic. I'm not mad about this season. I'm more just sad that it's over. I had more fun watching this years team than I have in a long time. We have a very bright future and a lot to look forward to. This was just the beginning. I'm proud of the year we had.Absolutely not

Just busting your chops.

He asked who's out there, lol.

If no one else is available makes no sense to leave Joe girardi.
    Plan should be :
    Get Torres up
    Re-sign CC to a 1 year deal
    Trade ells for anything
    Give Clint Frazier playing time
    Get Tanaka to stay one way or another
    Sign Otani
    Fix Dellin
    I don't see any large moves besides Otani, get under the cap and get ready for 2019 class.
    Sign everyone become the evil empire again and make all the haters want to never watch baseball again while we dominate for the next decade.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    That was one great run!

MrSplash, I agree. I would bring back Joe. He let the kids be kids and he's a very good manager. He has his flaws for sure but unless you have someone in mind that you think is better for this team, keep him. Provided of course he wants to stay.

Torres and Frazier will get their chance next year with a crew of young players who were a game away from the WS. The experience was invaluable.
    their biggest flaw was they stopped trying to get on and move runners. It looked like every guy was swinging for the 5 run HR. Everyone seemed to get pull happy. (Not in that way, that's a good way to be pull happy)

Bring back CC for sure. The question is then do you move Sonny Gray? If you have Tanaka, CC, Sevy, Motny and Adams with a couple of kids in the wings and guys like Green, ready to start. do you move Gray to a team who has a couple years left on his deal to say ohhh the Nats? For maybe a guy like say, Murphy? Who gives the Yanks a Lefty hitting Dh? I'd think about it.

The AL East is going to once again be a beast. Sox are going to be tough. Os could turn it around and so could the Rays. I think the Jays are ****ed.

I hope Houston wins their first. **** LA.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    That was one great run!

MrSplash, I agree. I would bring back Joe. He let the kids be kids and he's a very good manager. He has his flaws for sure but unless you have someone in mind that you think is better for this team, keep him. Provided of course he wants to stay.

Torres and Frazier will get their chance next year with a crew of young players who were a game away from the WS. The experience was invaluable.
    their biggest flaw was they stopped trying to get on and move runners. It looked like every guy was swinging for the 5 run HR. Everyone seemed to get pull happy. (Not in that way, that's a good way to be pull happy)

Bring back CC for sure. The question is then do you move Sonny Gray? If you have Tanaka, CC, Sevy, Motny and Adams with a couple of kids in the wings and guys like Green, ready to start. do you move Gray to a team who has a couple years left on his deal to say ohhh the Nats? For maybe a guy like say, Murphy? Who gives the Yanks a Lefty hitting Dh? I'd think about it.

The AL East is going to once again be a beast. Sox are going to be tough. Os could turn it around and so could the Rays. I think the Jays are ****ed.

I hope Houston wins their first. **** LA.
    I donít think theyíll deal Gray. They brought him over with being a big part of the future in mind. If they do sign Otani, Iíd say Monty to the pen. I think they try and keep both CC and Tanaka. Now you have a rotation of Sevy, Gray, Otani, Tanaka, and CC with a loaded pen of Monty, Green, D-Rob, Dellin, Tommy K, and Chapman. If you donít think Otani can pitch, then move him to DH.

Agreed on Joe though, outside of maybe Arod, I donít see any manager out there that would be a good replacement. Sure he over manages at times, but so do a lot of managers. It just takes the MMQB guys to criticize them after the fact. I really canít think of anyone out there at the moment.

We also gotta resign Cashman too, if there was an award for executives like in the NBA, he would surely win for this year. Give him what he wants, everything he touched turned to gold.

As far as the position players go, not much is needed. Maybe bring Todd back as the veteran leadership to replace Holliday as the DH. Dump Headley and Ells for anything. Promote Torres and Clint full time at some point. Find a trade partner for Hicks with his value somewhat high. Thatís all I can think of. Also, Iím not sure if heís up for it yet, but extend Didi if that is possible on the cheap.

As far as the division goes, I think itís between us and Boston. Tampa is also tricky, but they just donít have the offense to compete with us. Baltimoreís window closed this year I believe. They have no pitching while guys like Jones, Davis, Hardy all got another year older and Manny is going to be more focused on free agency. Toronto is going to be rebuilding shortly so I do agree there.

I think the future is extremely bright. The fact that this team made it to Game 7 of the ALCS when we werenít even supposed to make the playoffs this year is amazing. I think things are looking up for next year, wouldnít be surprised if we are in the World Series next year. Sure teams will adjust to Judge, Sanchez, Didi, etc, but I think we are on the verge of becoming special.
    Last edited by jd25213; 10-22-2017 at 09:21 AM.

I understand that people have created an emotional attachement to Sabathia over the last few seasons, and his first two starts this post-season endeared him to the fanbase even more so.

However, there is no place for him on this team going forward.

The Yankees have finally returned to building a young-core of talented players and the future of a cost-controlled, young team should make us all excited for the future.

A 37-year old Sabathia takes a rotation spot from one of this kids.

Which young talent do we take a year of MLB development away from? And why?

Certainly not Severino, that kid is an ace in the making.

Jordan Montgomery? He went 9-7/3.88 ERA/4.07 FIP|2.7 fWAR in 155 IP.
    Sonny Gray? His 2017 #s are 10-12/3.55 ERA/3.90 FIP/2.8 fWAR in 162 IP.

In 2018 Monty will be entering his age 25-season, Gray his age 28 season.

Those two arms will form a core middle-rotation for years as they both enter their primes.

Sitting either so that a 37-year old Sabathia can have another go round at the AL East is the wrong decision.

The Yankees rotational goal for this off-season is simple: retain Tanaka and sign Ohtani.

This post-season has proven that, while elite-bullpens are awesome weapons, an Ace is better. (cough, Verlander, cough)

If the Yankees accomplished that goal the 2018 rotation would be:

1) Tanaka (29-years old)
    2) Ohtani (24-years old)
    3) Sevy (24-years old)
    4) Gray (28-years old)
    5) Monty (24-years old)

With Chance Adams and others capable of stepping in when our control of Gray ends.

I don't know about you guys, but the prospect of a talented, cost controlled rotation with an average age under 30-years of age looks like the future.

The only old man I would be in favor of bringing back is the Toddfather...mainly because I want to see Cashman (who will be back) find a way to package Headley and Ellsbury to get us something worthwhile and he would be a cheap solution at 3rd until either Andujar or Torres is ready.

Sabathia is part of the past, let him ride off into the sunset somewhere else.

We have to win the AL East in 2018.
    Weíre pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isnít about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The ďHoly TrinityĒ of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    I donít think theyíll deal Gray. They brought him over with being a big part of the future in mind. If they do sign Otani, Iíd say Monty to the pen. I think they try and keep both CC and Tanaka. Now you have a rotation of Sevy, Gray, Otani, Tanaka, and CC with a loaded pen of Monty, Green, D-Rob, Dellin, Tommy K, and Chapman. If you donít think Otani can pitch, then move him to DH.

Agreed on Joe though, outside of maybe Arod, I donít see any manager out there that would be a good replacement. Sure he over manages at times, but so do a lot of managers. It just takes the MMQB guys to criticize them after the fact. I really canít think of anyone out there at the moment.

We also gotta resign Cashman too, if there was an award for executives like in the NBA, he would surely win for this year. Give him what he wants, everything he touched turned to gold.

As far as the position players go, not much is needed. Maybe bring Todd back as the veteran leadership to replace Holliday as the DH. Dump Headley and Ells for anything. Promote Torres and Clint full time at some point. Find a trade partner for Hicks with his value somewhat high. Thatís all I can think of. Also, Iím not sure if heís up for it yet, but extend Didi if that is possible on the cheap.

As far as the division goes, I think itís between us and Boston. Tampa is also tricky, but they just donít have the offense to compete with us. Baltimoreís window closed this year I believe. They have no pitching while guys like Jones, Davis, Hardy all got another year older and Manny is going to be more focused on free agency. Toronto is going to be rebuilding shortly so I do agree there.

I think the future is extremely bright. The fact that this team made it to Game 7 of the ALCS when we werenít even supposed to make the playoffs this year is amazing. I think things are looking up for next year, wouldnít be surprised if we are in the World Series next year. Sure teams will adjust to Judge, Sanchez, Didi, etc, but I think we are on the verge of becoming special.
    IMO the only reason Girardi is if he decides he doesn't want to. No way this team, being as young as they are would have made it as far as they did without him. This team especially Young players responded to him really well. They team is going to be even younger next yr so they need someone with experience coaching kids.

Same goes for Cashman, everything he has done the last couple yrs has turned into gold. I don't think he get enough credit, he rebuilt the farm, which is still top 3.He turned an old and very boring roster into a contender in a yr and has managed to do that and has cut 70-80m from the payroll.

Biggest needs are starting pitcher and DH. Unfortunately, I could see the luxury tax re-set goal really hurting us this year. Gonna be tough to adequately address the rotation and DH while staying under. We will need to rely on another wave of young players to make up for that.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast