Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2273
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Currently it's Stanton, Torres, Andujar and some extra at bats for Hicks and Ellsbury or possibly an improvement on someone vs. Castro, Headley, Frazier and Holliday.
    Two unprovens in Andujar and Torres. Your statement means very little.
    Nick

If the Yankee bullpen did what the Cleveland bullpen did with Saves %(79%) the Yankees would of had 11 more wins which would have given the Yankees HOME FILED advantage throughout the playoffs and which in turn would have given the Yankees 4 home games vs the Astros in stead of 3 and a probable ALCS win if things played out as they did in the 2017 playoffs. Of course my scenario would have changed the opponents but just saying.....

The bullpen in the regular season hurt the team more than a weaker offense outside of Yankee Stadium. The Yankees want to play more games in NY in the playoffs than on the road. Hopefully some bad luck caused some of those losses and the bullpen bounces back to at least a 75% Save Percentage which put this team into the 96+ win category and probably homefield advantage. I do not see more than one team hitting 100 wins in 2018. How many 100 win teams did the MLB have last year? That will be lower IMO. So 96-98 wins might be enough to get us HOMEFIELD advantage throughout the 2018 playoffs if the team succeeds and stays healthy with key players.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Two unprovens in Andujar and Torres. Your statement means very little.
    before last year judge as unproven in the big leagues i rather have torres over castro higher ceiling and andujar is a better bat then headley ...

your love affair with those 2 players is very disturbing to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    your love affair with those 2 players is very disturbing to say the least...
    Don't love Castro and Headley, just like the safe bet.....I think they should sign Frazier.
    Nick

WHat is that STAT that weighs the on base % that makes extra bases heavier than singles?

But how does that stat compare the weights of each particular on base scenario?

Obviously a double is better than a single or a walk or an error. But is there a true stat that can calculate particular results?

Example:

Hitter #1 gets 3 singles with each knocking in 2 runs each that ends with 6 RBI

Hitter #2 gets 2 doubles and a homerun with 1 RBI

Hitter #1 had 3 total bases but 6 RBI
    Hitter #2 had 8 total bases but just 1 RBI

The singles hitter was more productive than the power hitter.

Is there a stat that calculates my scenario to see who is the more productive hitter?
    I donít know of a stat for that but would have to say the 8 total bases is better because u canít help who is on base. I mean, player b couldíve hit 5 solo dingers and ended with 5 rbis, 20 total bags. So I would rather have player bís production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    I donít know of a stat for that but would have to say the 8 total bases is better because u canít help who is on base. I mean, player b couldíve hit 5 solo dingers and ended with 5 rbis, 20 total bags. So I would rather have player bís production.

So the stat geeks never calculated when a typical singles means more than the other single...

They track everything and calculate every damn number....But I just created a new stat..
    Nick

**** sabermetrics, we got mushmetrics!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So the stat geeks never calculated when a typical singles means more than the other single...

They track everything and calculate every damn number....But I just created a new stat..
    Well, they have a thing called linear weights or weighted on base percentage (wOBA). The old saying ďa walks as good as a hitĒ sure you heard it. Itís not always true... the the weighted average would count a BB as 1 (as in 1 bag) whereas a singe may be a 1.4 (because a single typically will move a runner an additional base ie runner on 1st goes to 3rd or a runner on 2nd scores on a single, rather than just going bag to bag that always happens on a walk) and a double is like a 2.7 because a runner on first may be able to score rather then just getting pushed up the 2 bases.

I broke it down by total bases to explain but I think they do it by run expectancy percentages. Meaning if you get a single with one out, that guy is .25% likely to score... and it adjusts yearly based on the averages.

Interesting take but I donít get much into the sabermetrics than OPS+/ERA+ and WAR

From what i'm hearing is that unless a player they like falls into their laps, Cashman and the Yanks might be done. They know the price tag on the FA's like Darvish, Moose, Frazier and others is but they seem content to wait it out and not overpay. Its either going to be at a price they are comfortable with or not at all

It seems that Cole is their top choice for a pitcher but it sounds like theirs a pretty significant gap in what Cashman is will to give up and what the Pirates are asking for. We do have a need for another starter, everyone else can argue who it should be, the clear thing that has come out of it is that Cashman isn't trading Torres for anything we've heard so far. It also sounds like he's very against trading Florial or Sheff which is a very good thing IMO.

Unless the prices change we have to hope that Frazier has a really good 1st half so his trade value stays high just in case we have to make a move around the AS break.

As far as the rotation goes i just hope that they can stay healthy and we don't see a huge regression for Sevy and we can have the Tanaka we saw the few yrs past and in the playoffs last yr. I'll be interested to see what a full season of Gray looks like.

I think the infield will be fine, most of the coaches and management wanted Torres to start last yr in the majors and he definitely would have been up had he not gotten hurt. Physically he should be ready by ST, he's been back to swinging a bat and full workouts since November. If he comes to camp healthy i would be surprised if he didn't win that job right away or at the very least be ready after they manipulate his clock.

I have no doubt Andujar can hit well enough to stick at 3rd but i'm just not sure the glove is ready. IMO the guy that is seriously being underestimate is T Wade. He did look over matched last yr but his playing time was so inconsistent and never got a chance to get into a rhythm. In 400 ab's at AAA last yr at age 22 he hit .310/.382/.460. He's not going to hit a ton of HR's but we don't need him to. He's got a great glove and arm plus he can handle pretty much any position but !st base and C.

I'd really like to see them pick up someone like Nunez if its cheap enough just for some kind of insurance blanket but again Cash isn't going to overpay

It will be interesting to see how the rest of winter plays out and if prices drop but it wouldn't shock me if we were done. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us
    Last edited by dayners81; 01-03-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    From what i'm hearing is that unless a player they like falls into their laps, Cashman and the Yanks might be done. They know the price tag on the FA's like Darvish, Moose, Frazier and others is but they seem content to wait it out and not overpay. Its either going to be at a price they are comfortable with or not at all

It seems that Cole is their top choice for a pitcher but it sounds like theirs a pretty significant gap in what Cashman is will to give up and what the Pirates are asking for. We do have a need for another starter, everyone else can argue who it should be, the clear thing that has come out of it is that Cashman isn't trading Torres for anything we've heard so far. It also sounds like he's very against trading Florial or Sheff which is a very good thing IMO.

Unless the prices change we have to hope that Frazier has a really good 1st half so his trade value stays high just in case we have to make a move around the AS break.

As far as the rotation goes i just hope that they can stay healthy and we don't see a huge regression for Sevy and we can have the Tanaka we saw the few yrs past and in the playoffs last yr. I'll be interested to see what a full season of Gray looks like.

I think the infield will be fine, most of the coaches and management wanted Torres to start last yr in the majors and he definitely would have been up had he not gotten hurt. Physically he should be ready by ST, he's been back to swinging a bat and full workouts since November. If he comes to camp healthy i would be surprised if he didn't win that job right away or at the very least be ready after they manipulate his clock.

I have no doubt Andujar can hit well enough to stick at 3rd but i'm just not sure the glove is ready. IMO the guy that is seriously being underestimate is T Wade. He did look over matched last yr but his playing time was so inconsistent and never got a chance to get into a rhythm. In 400 ab's at AAA last yr at age 22 he hit .310/.382/.460. He's not going to hit a ton of HR's but we don't need him to. He's got a great glove and arm plus he can handle pretty much any position but !st base and C.

I'd really like to see them pick up someone like Nunez if its cheap enough just for some kind of insurance blanket but again Cash isn't going to overpay

It will be interesting to see how the rest of winter plays out and if prices drop but it wouldn't shock me if we were done. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us
    I think they are going to come away with a bargain whether it be by trade or free agency. Cashman has all the leverage and he knows it. He can wait this one out as long as he wants.

Dan Szymborski
    ‏Verified account @DSzymborski

ZiPS loves the Yankee bullpen so much that I'm wondering if Jeter traded it to them.

In fact, I don't bleieve ZiPS has ever projected a bullpen to be better than the 2018 Yankees and I don't believe it's even particularly close.

Putting it in less vague terms: ZiPS projects 10 pitchers on the Yankees 40-man as relievers. Their projected ERA+ in descending order: 177, 159, 146, 145, 136, 129, 125, 120, 112, 112.

The last set of tweets may sound like a Yankee fan, but I'm just an increasingly depressed O's sorta-fan.

how sweet it is

when they say '' you never have enough pitching '' they are right

Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    Well, they have a thing called linear weights or weighted on base percentage (wOBA). The old saying ďa walks as good as a hitĒ sure you heard it. Itís not always true... the the weighted average would count a BB as 1 (as in 1 bag) whereas a singe may be a 1.4 (because a single typically will move a runner an additional base ie runner on 1st goes to 3rd or a runner on 2nd scores on a single, rather than just going bag to bag that always happens on a walk) and a double is like a 2.7 because a runner on first may be able to score rather then just getting pushed up the 2 bases.

I broke it down by total bases to explain but I think they do it by run expectancy percentages. Meaning if you get a single with one out, that guy is .25% likely to score... and it adjusts yearly based on the averages.

Interesting take but I donít get much into the sabermetrics than OPS+/ERA+ and WAR

That's the stat I was looking for....Thanks!

I do like that particular stat...measurement for on bases....
    Nick

Now I follow 3 stats from sabermetrics....
    Nick

Is Andujars's and Torres' defense good enough to start an entire season at their respected positions? You can bury them in the lineups with sandwich lineups if they struggle with the bat but good defense is a must....
    Nick