Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    I used to be of the same mindset. But todayís nfl is tailor made for small linebackers. The best tight ends have become such matchup nightmares that you need guys that can really run to defend the middle of the field.

Plus, my hesitation with undersized, fast linebackers in the past is that they need a very good DL in front of them to keep them clean. We have that up the middle with Daniels and Clark. Those two guys require extra attention that can allow a fast ilb to slip through a hole more quickly.

Roquan is listed at 6-1 225. You would have to expect that they will put muscle on him in the offseason program. He is right there with the athleticism of guys on the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mitten View Post
    I would put Rashaan Evans right behind Edmunds and ahead of Smith... my deal with Smith is that, yes, he's a really good college ILB, great instincts, tenacious... but his size has limitations... we already have a 220 pound ILB to cover and fly around, his name is Josh Jones... whereas Edmunds and Evans give you versatlity to move all over... it's just a matter of personal preference, but i like bigger versatile ILB's... Vander Esch, Fred Warner, and Marquise Haynes are later guys that could add as versatile depth as ILB's... I think the ILB group is going to be a fun watch at the combine.
    Josh Jones is going to have to play Safety and replace Morgan Burnette, so his ILB days are likely over. Roquan is an exceptional talent and would easily be the best player on our defense by his 2nd year. Roquan is very versatile, just not bigger. He could be part of the answer to our pass rush woes, blitzing form the ILB position.

CB vs OLB at 14? To me this is a no brainer, we have to address Pass rush at 14 and address CB in free agency. You can't do it the other way around as there are no really good OLB/pass rush FA's available. Maybe Claybourne, but not sure he's worth the money. At CB there are several good FA options.

If we draft a CB at 14 and add a FA like Fuller, we'd be set at CB with King and Randle too, but we'd have no pass rush. If you have to cover for 7 to 10 seconds, someones getting open no matter how good your CB's are.
    Pass rush is our biggest need and pick 14 should be for the best Pass rusher that fits Petine's scheme on the board.

Should we draft a CB or 2 in the draft? absolutely, but not at 14 or at 45. We need to address CB in free agency to get our starter and add depth latter in the draft.
    Last edited by HacksawButch; 02-07-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I would tend to agree, except Iím not completely sure there will be an edge rusher worthy of drafting at 14. As much as itís nice to do, reaching for an olb isnít the right answer either.

Here is my post senior bowl pre combine mock draft. I haven't decided if I will do another or not but, I at least try to publish one.

I used nfldraftscout and ourlads and my personal knowledge to decide on round projections.

DISCLAIMER: this is my personal opinion. People will agree and disagree but, this is what I think the Packers should do in the 2018 draft.

with the 14th pick in the 1st round of the 2018 draft the Green Bay Packers select

Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

Unless he really screws up the combine and the other offseason workouts, he could honestly be gone by the time the Packers pick. Matt Miller has said that he heard from OSU's staff that Ward is more athletic and maybe fastr than Marshon Lattimore. He is a solid zone and man corner. He is a willing tackler. the only thing that I did notice about him is he needs to get his head around more and if he thinks he gets beat he is really handsy. With Randell and Rollins FA's at the end of the season and with Rollins having his major injury, CB is a need and Ward fills it perfectly

With the 14th pick in the 2nd round of the 2018 draft the Green Bay Packers select

Hercules Mata'afa EDGE Washington State

First I want to say he has one of the top names I have seen for a prospect. there are a couple of knocks on him, he is a junior and a lot of people thought he should have went back for his senior year and at 255lbs he was playing DT not DE or OLB, so he was pretty undersized playing interior Dline. He does have one of the quickest first steps I have seen. He had 10.5 sacks in 2017 from the DT position. He does have good bend and a good swim move, probably should develop a couple of more pass rush moves but, he is really fast. He did play standing up a few times as a QB spy and did cover a little in the videos I watched. This fills another need for the Packers.

With the 14th pick in the 3rd round of the 2018 draft the Green Bay Packers select

Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame

He like Ward could go higher with solid work outs. He is a tall lanky WR, I have seen him measured as 6'5-6'6. He has break away speed. He was solid with his route running. Let's be honest ND hasn't had the greatest passing QBs the last few years so he really hasn't been able to show off too much. He is a good hands catcher. If he runs in the 4.4's he could be gone before this pick. At this time WR is a ? the only one set in stone is Davante Adams. Are Jordy and Cobb back? Janis is a fa and I see him gone. Clark is raw, Davis for whatever reason hasn't had his chances and Yancey is a ?.

With the 14th pick in the 4th round of the 2018 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select

Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Thomas has been projected 3rd-4th round. If we have a 3rd round comp we could honestly take Thomas first and St. Brown with the comp. He has good hands, he is a decent blocker, he has good speed, runs through contact. He also is a pretty good route runner. He could move up in the draft after people see his ability.

With the 14th pick in the 5th round of the 2018 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select

Zachary Crabtree OL Oklahoma State

Not much out there on him because he had nagging turf toe injury through out 2017. He did seem to have solid strength and fired off the ball quickly. He played mainly lined up at RT but, seemed to have some struggles so, I could see him moving inside. OL isn't an major major need but, it could become a need depending on some offseason moves.

With the 14th pick in the 6th round of the 2018 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers select

Davin Bellamy OLB Georgia

Double dipping with the OLB. Bellamy is another in a long line of Georgia linebackers. Bellamy is quick off the snap, he does have good speed. Needs to work on separating from the blocker. once he gets caught he struggles to break free. If he works on his pass rush moves because if he does separate he is dominate, he just gets tied up easily.

with the 14th pick in the 7th round of the 2018 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select

Michael Joseph CB Dubuque

Another double down here. Joseph is a willing tackler with good speed. He is a small school talent so he is still raw but, if it clicks he could be a solid pick up. he had 8 ints and 16 PDs in 2017. Also, the first time he ever fielded a kickoff, he took it 96yds for a td.

with the 21st pick in the 7th round( I think this is the pick they get from the Buffalo Bills for Lerentee Mccray) the Green Bay Packers select

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa

I really didn't watch anything of him because honestly I forgot about the extra 7th round pick but, this will probably be a PS guy but, again with the questions at WR it wouldn't hurt to double down. I do know Fountain was the East-West Shrine offensive MVP.

that's it. this of course doesn't have any of the comp picks because as far as I know none of that has been finalized.

RIP Gene Wilder

Iím not a huge st brown fan. I feel like Michael Clark can do similar things. St Brown will probably run a little faster, but I donít see st Brown as a super compete wr. Iíd rather take a guy like Pettis with that pick if we are going wr.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Iím not a huge st brown fan. I feel like Michael Clark can do similar things. St Brown will probably run a little faster, but I donít see st Brown as a super compete wr. Iíd rather take a guy like Pettis with that pick if we are going wr.
    I thought the same thing but, I think St. Brown is a more complete WR than Clark. Clark has tons of questions marks about him because of his inexperience. I have always wanted to give rodgers a 6-5 6-6 WR and St. Brown could be that. I think a lot of it will depend on what he runs at the combine. if he runs a 4.6 I would pass but, if he runs 4.4 or lower than I am all over it.

RIP Gene Wilder

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-dra...maine-edmunds/

love this article... and the bottom line is that you can't really go wrong with Edmunds or Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I thought the same thing but, I think St. Brown is a more complete WR than Clark. Clark has tons of questions marks about him because of his inexperience. I have always wanted to give rodgers a 6-5 6-6 WR and St. Brown could be that. I think a lot of it will depend on what he runs at the combine. if he runs a 4.6 I would pass but, if he runs 4.4 or lower than I am all over it.
    Iíll hVe to watch him a little more. I havenít watched a ton on him. But a few scouting reports Iíve read sort of mention he doesnít high point the ball all that well. Heís a huge guy and probably will have a pretty solid vert, but he doesnít neccesarily play that huge if heís not high pointing catches. In the little Iíve watched of him since reading that, I can sort of see it. Maybe some of that is usage, but even on fades and things, he more tries to wall off defenders instead of just going up and getting the ball. Again, maybe thatís just the few times Iíve seen him, but if he doesnít play to his size, thatís concerning.

And for me, speed isnít what Iím interesting in seeing at the combine. Iím more interested in seeing his agility scores and seeing how those scores compare to other large receivers like aj green and those types. From the little Iíve seen, a lot of his production comes from crossers and goes. Not sure how quickly he gets in and out of his breaks.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 02-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Iíll hVe to watch him a little more. I havenít watched a ton on him. But a few scouting reports Iíve read sort of mention he doesnít high point the ball all that well. Heís a huge guy and probably will have a pretty solid vert, but he doesnít neccesarily play that huge if heís not high pointing catches. In the little Iíve watched of him since reading that, I can sort of see it. Maybe some of that is usage, but even on fades and things, he more tries to wall off defenders instead of just going up and getting the ball. Again, maybe thatís just the few times Iíve seen him, but if he doesnít play to his size, thatís concerning.

And for me, speed isnít what Iím interesting in seeing at the combine. Iím more interested in seeing his agility scores and seeing how those scores compare to other large receivers like aj green and those types. From the little Iíve seen, a lot of his production comes from crossers and goes. Not sure how quickly he gets in and out of his breaks.
    I think a lot of his problem goes with QB play. there were some throws that were not properly placed and no matter his height or speed he would never been able to get to them. The only reason I mention speed is for one we need speed. and for 2 you add speed to that height and it makes him twice as dangerous

RIP Gene Wilder

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded down sitting in front of Arizona who desperately needs a QB would be a prime spot for a team to move up. I think Cousins goes to the Jets and that leaves Cleveland, Denver, and the Giants to take 3 of the 4 qb's leaving 1 to fall unless Miami takes one. Not to mention the possibility of one of those top teams getting Foles, Keenum, or McCarron. The Bills, Chargers, Saints, Jaguars, Steelers, or any of the teams at the top of the draft that pass on a qb could all make sense or even Arizona if they are worried they could be jumped.

Here is my big board for the packers (qb's removed and some positions slightly devalued based on need rb, d-line)
    1. Edge Bradley Chubb
    2. RB Saquon Barkley
    3. CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick
    4. G Quenton Nelson
    5. ILB Roquan Smith
    6. Edge Marcus Davenport
    7. WR Calvin Ridley
    8. S Derwin James
    9. ILB/Edge Trumaine Edwards
    10. CB Josh Jackson
    11. CB Denzel Ward
    12. Edge Harold Landry
    13. Edge Arden Key
    14. WR Courtland Sutton
    15. T Connor Williams
    16. T Mike McGlichey
    17. WR James Washington
    18. LB Rashaan Evans
    19. CB Isiah Oliver
    20. T Brian O'Neil
    21. T Orlando Brown
    22. DL Da'Ron Payne
    23. DL Vita Vea
    24. DL Mo Hurst
    25. WR Christian Kirk
    26. CB Carlton Davis
    27. CB Donte Jackson
    28. TE Hayden Hurst
    29. CB Mike Hughes
    30. TE Mark Andrews

So my predictions would look like this.
    1. WR Calvin Ridley I think he will be a great counter part to Adams, he would add speed and youth with the ability to lineup in alot of different positions.

2. Tyrell Cosby We really need to build some O-Line depth I think Cosby is a perfect fit for the Packers scheme and he could probably play RG or RT right away.

3. RB/TE/Playmaker Jaylen Sameuls Samuels is probably my favorite prospect in the draft I'm not exactly sure how he fits into the offense but he would kind of be like what we invisioned Montgomery to be last year with some ability to play FB and TE.

4. TE Troy Fumigalli We really need some tight end depth and Fumigalli is a good blocker and the solid hands to stabilize the TE position.

5. S Godwin Igwebulke I think Burnett will be gone with Jones in the waiting so we add Igwe for depth.

6. DLine/Edge David Moa Wasn't good last year but showed big upside as a soph.. I know some people are saying why wait this long on OLB or CB. I think that with the new front office and d-coordinator we are going to hit the defense hard in free agency and then look to the draft for the offensive upgrades.

7. CB Darius Phillips I saw him once or twice and think he might have a decent chance to beat out a couple guys as a 5/6 corner and special teams guy.

I just really donít like the idea of taking a wr in the first. If you look at the recent history of first round pick WRs, itís been pretty brutal.

To me, thereís a lot of guys who are capable of playing nfl wr at a fairly high level. Thereís less guys who can play olb, cb or offensive tackle at a high level.

For me to take a wr in the first round, especially in the top half of the first round, it has to be an absolute physical freak like a Julio Jones type. I donít see anyone in this draft that fits that profile at wr.

I just really donít like the idea of taking a wr in the first. If you look at the recent history of first round pick WRs, itís been pretty brutal.

To me, thereís a lot of guys who are capable of playing nfl wr at a fairly high level. Thereís less guys who can play olb, cb or offensive tackle at a high level.

For me to take a wr in the first round, especially in the top half of the first round, it has to be an absolute physical freak like a Julio Jones type. I donít see anyone in this draft that fits that profile at wr.
    I feel pretty much the same.

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast