Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Offensive line would be a boring pick, but Iíd understand it to an extent. Iím not sure about Nelson though. I just donít value guard that highly. I think thereís a chance McCray can be a serviceable guard. Now if youíre talking tackles, thatís a different story. Get a 2nd bookend tackle to pair with Bak and you shouldnít have issue keeping AR protected for a few years.

You can find serviceable guards. A decent amount of failed tackles make solid guards. I would really struggle with a guard at pick 14 when we never pick lower than 20. We need a potential difference maker, especially on defense and I donít think guard moves the needle enough.
    I'm with you on that one I was just throwing it out there. I think they have done a good job turning relativly no bodies into solid guards, Lang, Sitton, Taylor, etc. all panned out at guard. I wouldn't write off tackle potentially coming up, but I don't think so early. I wonder if when Bulaga gets healthy if they move him inside he's bound to lose a step especially with that ACL tear.

I'm liking the idea of Landry he looks like Von Miller Lite, I don't know if he has the same upside, but I think Landry is the safe pick if your going edge rushers. Key and Davenport may eventually have more upside, but Key's a risky guy as his off field and injuries raise some questions.

To be honest the only way I would go offense is if some how Calvin Ridley fell, won't happen, but the get the point across I think the pick has to be on the defensive side of the ball. I also think it has to be a pass-rusher, we need more guys who can pressure the QB and open up a few packages which maximizes Clay.

Iím usually not a first round wr fan either. Iíve always been a believer in the world theory, that thereís only so many people in the world who meet certain athletic criteria. And if you look at wr, thereís actually a lot of guys in the world who have that level of athleticism. Not saying they can all play nfl wr, but thereís guys that can do it. So thatís why I think you see more mid round WRs excel in the draft.

Corners i think it applies a little more. Corners need such crazy good hips and feet. So thereís less guys physically capable of playing corner than wr, but thereís still a decent amount. Itís more about teaching technique and instincts.

But when it comes to pass rusher and left tackle, there are so few guys on the planet that have the physical skills to do what they do. Sure, you can train motor guys to do a good job. But to be truly elite as a LT or pass rusher, you have to have such unique physical gifts. Thatís what makes guys like key and Davenport so intriguing. Thereís not many people on the planet who have the size, strength, speed and flexibility required to play that position at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Iím usually not a first round wr fan either. Iíve always been a believer in the world theory, that thereís only so many people in the world who meet certain athletic criteria. And if you look at wr, thereís actually a lot of guys in the world who have that level of athleticism. Not saying they can all play nfl wr, but thereís guys that can do it. So thatís why I think you see more mid round WRs excel in the draft.

Corners i think it applies a little more. Corners need such crazy good hips and feet. So thereís less guys physically capable of playing corner than wr, but thereís still a decent amount. Itís more about teaching technique and instincts.

But when it comes to pass rusher and left tackle, there are so few guys on the planet that have the physical skills to do what they do. Sure, you can train motor guys to do a good job. But to be truly elite as a LT or pass rusher, you have to have such unique physical gifts. Thatís what makes guys like key and Davenport so intriguing. Thereís not many people on the planet who have the size, strength, speed and flexibility required to play that position at the highest level.
    Ah, see that's where we would be at odds, I would be all for taking a WR in the first, this year may be an exception, but if Ridley falls Gutekunst would need to be fired if he passed on him. I doubt Ridley get's past the Bears, and I think there are come clear exceptions to the rule. I don't think WR is something you take annually or consider annually.

Again, I think the pick needs to be on the defensive side of the ball, and it needs to be a pass rusher not a CB., while corner is a need we need some pass rushers. Matthews and Perry combined for 14.5 sacks. That's not going to cut it. I don't think they can simply say one guy will fix it either. Biegel has potential, but no need to bank on that. Get a Davenport, Landry, or Key kind of guy. 4th or lower look for another guy like Sione Teuhema, Josh Sweat, Chad Thomas, or some other rusher around that frame.

I don't really get the super love for Calvin Ridley. He just doesn't seem to me like the big time talent everyone makes him out to be. Of the 2 I would rather have Sutton. But I don't think WR is very valuable in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Ah, see that's where we would be at odds, I would be all for taking a WR in the first, this year may be an exception, but if Ridley falls Gutekunst would need to be fired if he passed on him. I doubt Ridley get's past the Bears, and I think there are come clear exceptions to the rule. I don't think WR is something you take annually or consider annually.

Again, I think the pick needs to be on the defensive side of the ball, and it needs to be a pass rusher not a CB., while corner is a need we need some pass rushers. Matthews and Perry combined for 14.5 sacks. That's not going to cut it. I don't think they can simply say one guy will fix it either. Biegel has potential, but no need to bank on that. Get a Davenport, Landry, or Key kind of guy. 4th or lower look for another guy like Sione Teuhema, Josh Sweat, Chad Thomas, or some other rusher around that frame.
    Id take key or Landry and a 2nd round wr over Ridley and a 2nd round pass rusher any day of the week.

Since the Odell Beckham draft, which might be one of the strongest wr drafts ever, the first round receivers have been very underwhelming. Thatís not a reason not to take one early, but I think it shows you can get almost similar players at that position later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    I don't really get the super love for Calvin Ridley. He just doesn't seem to me like the big time talent everyone makes him out to be. Of the 2 I would rather have Sutton. But I don't think WR is very valuable in this draft.
    I don't see much not to like except he's a bit undersized in terms of weight. Grades well in route-running, quickness, and generally having good hands. He's got 4.4 ball park speed. 6'1 height wise is right where you want him. He has a ton of upside and factor in most Bama receivers have panned out recently.

There's talent at WR, it's not overly deep, but Ridley, Sutton, St. Brown, Tate, Kirks, Ateman, Cobbs, Coutee, Pettis all can be consider to have some promise. I would be really interested in adding St. Brown in 2nd or 3rd he's had trash QB play at Notre Dame and still has performed well.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I don't see much not to like except he's a bit undersized in terms of weight. Grades well in route-running, quickness, and generally having good hands. He's got 4.4 ball park speed. 6'1 height wise is right where you want him. He has a ton of upside and factor in most Bama receivers have panned out recently.

There's talent at WR, it's not overly deep, but Ridley, Sutton, St. Brown, Tate, Kirks, Ateman, Cobbs, Coutee, Pettis all can be consider to have some promise. I would be really interested in adding St. Brown in 2nd or 3rd he's had trash QB play at Notre Dame and still has performed well.
    Cooper and Jones were absolute studs. I am sure Ridley will be fine, but I don't see him in that mold.

Quote Originally Posted by hallzi43 View Post
    Cooper and Jones were absolute studs. I am sure Ridley will be fine, but I don't see him in that mold.
    Jones: 179 Rec.; 2,653 yards; 15 TD (40 games)
    6'2, 220
    Cooper: 229 Rec.;3,463 yards; 31 TD (40 games)
    6'1, 210
    Ridley: 224 Rec.; 2,781 yards, 19 TD (44 games)
    6'1, 190

Production wise they were all in similar ball parks. Similar speed level, I'm not saying Ridley will be that level, but his number compare well to the other 2, same school, same coach. I haven't watched too much film on Ridley to judge his intangiables, but on the surface he appears to have the "potential" to be very good. Then again we have seen plenty of players with high potential fall flat as well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678