Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Red Wings and AA nearing a deal

Andreas Athanasiou and the Detroit Red Wings are reportedly closing in on a contract.
    Athanasiou missed training camp and the first seven games of the Red Wings' schedule as a contract holdout. Even if he were to sign on Friday, we would still expect him to miss some additional time while he gets back into game shape. It's also possible that he would be sent to the minors on a conditioning stint. The two sides are reportedly most likely to agree to a one-year contract.
    via rotoworld

Glad to hear it.

so wait, 1 year contract and then do it again next year?

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    so wait, 1 year contract and then do it again next year?
    If spotrac is to be believed, the Wings (currently) will have about ~16 million in cap space available next year. Depending on how AA performs this year it will give the Wings flexibility to give him what he wants. On the flip side Larkin, Mantha, and Frk will be RFA's so they will eat some space as well (Petr and Sheahan are eligible as well but I am not certain the Wings should commit to them, Sheahan especially).

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    If spotrac is to be believed, the Wings (currently) will have about ~16 million in cap space available next year. Depending on how AA performs this year it will give the Wings flexibility to give him what he wants. On the flip side Larkin, Mantha, and Frk will be RFA's so they will eat some space as well (Petr and Sheahan are eligible as well but I am not certain the Wings should commit to them, Sheahan especially).
    I was just skimming through something that mentioned arbitration next year and hockey is probably my least knowledgeable sport when it comes to contracts and finances but I don't like that word lol

It's being confirmed around the web that it'll be a one year ~1.4 million dollar deal.

It means we have to make a trade with no one LTIR eligible. So I expect to see Sheahan gone soon.

I will jump for joy seeing Sheahan gone. Ericsson too but we all know that is not happening any time soon.