Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: PSD NBA All-Time Player Power Rankings: #10

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Julius Erving

    0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant

    3 27.27%
  • Bill Russell

    8 72.73%
  • Oscar Robertson

    0 0%
  • Jerry West

    0 0%
  • Elgin Baylor

    0 0%
  • Moses Malone

    0 0%
  • Karl Malone

    0 0%
  • Dirk Nowitzki

    0 0%
  • Charles Barkley

    0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,884

    PSD NBA All-Time Player Power Rankings: #10

    Hakeem Olajuwon barely beat out Bill Russell last round. This round I added Charles Barkley, who was ranked 18th by ESPN's #NBARank, to the player pool. Voting lasts two days.

    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3. Lebron James
    4. Wilt Chamberlain
    5. Tim Duncan
    6. Shaquille O'Neal
    7. Magic Johnson
    8. Larry Bird
    9. Hakeem Olajuwon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,884
    I decided Russell should be in the top 10. His accomplishments are overrated by his being on an stacked team over most of his career in an easier era with less competition and fewer games, but he was still one of the best defenders in NBA history and a rebounding savant.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,771
    Wow no David Robinson or KG with some of the other guys listed? interesting list there, just noticed that.

    I think this is probably gonna go to BR, someone gonna make a case for Kobe?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Wow no David Robinson or KG with some of the other guys listed? interesting list there, just noticed that.

    I think this is probably gonna go to BR, someone gonna make a case for Kobe?
    I'm thinking of going to 20 on this list. I'll probably restart the active player ranking thread too and go to 20.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    71,597
    Either Russell or Kobe here.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    71,597
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I decided Russell should be in the top 10. His accomplishments are overrated by his being on an stacked team over most of his career in an easier era with less competition and fewer games, but he was still one of the best defenders in NBA history and a rebounding savant.
    was he as good of a rebounder as Wilt, or Rodman? Reggie Evans? Danny Fortson? Kevin Love, or Andre Drummond?

    We don't have rebound rates from Russell's day, but at the possession count, and how many minutes he played, I would guess that while he was an awesome rebounder, it's yet again a part of his game people overrate.

    That being said, now is about the position I struggle bumping him any further from.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I decided Russell should be in the top 10. His accomplishments are overrated by his being on an stacked team over most of his career in an easier era with less competition and fewer games, but he was still one of the best defenders in NBA history and a rebounding savant.
    Bill Russell is easily top 10 all time, especially when you factor in the rings hype(Jordan 6 vs 11) that put others on a high pedestal but then for some reason it doesn't fit well for others who have titles, especially more than Jordan and who was the main key to it, not talking about guys like Horry or those others back in that time with Russell, and not guys like Kerr/Fisher who have 5 rings as well, Russell has rings for both hands and a toe as the alpha, if you add his NCAA total the guy won 13 titles in a 15yr span, unreal and I don't give a damn what era he played in

    Russell could have easily averaged 24-25ppg(as he did head to head vs Wilt) but he was willing to do whatever it took to make sure others got off, he was basically the head coach/PointCenter/defensive anchor/emotional-backbone-heart&soul

    his team won 8 in a row and I don't care how many teams are in the league back then or now because having more teams doesn't make it tougher it only was done to make more money because right now its the Warriors vs the field of 30 other teams, which to me is worse and watered more down

    its like when Tiger was on his AAA+ golf game and it was always Tiger vs the field, like nobody else had a chance because he was that dominant or was the golf league weak as a whole since nobody could challenge the young Tiger? that made golf boring but still you wanted to watch Tiger regardless, that's how it kind of feels right now in the nba like I am sure it felt that way to Wilt and the other teams back in the 60's chasing Russell

    outside shot at winning is Cavs and to a lesser degree the Spurs and dangerous darkhorses like a Rockets/Thunder, which makes it a total of 5 teams out of 30plus to have a shot at a title, which is still not a strong league if you really think about it

    its just as less competition with more games played in todays era once you wrap your mind around it and take out the emotions
    Last edited by europagnpilgrim; 10-20-2017 at 02:15 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    was he as good of a rebounder as Wilt, or Rodman? Reggie Evans? Danny Fortson? Kevin Love, or Andre Drummond?

    We don't have rebound rates from Russell's day, but at the possession count, and how many minutes he played, I would guess that while he was an awesome rebounder, it's yet again a part of his game people overrate.

    That being said, now is about the position I struggle bumping him any further from.
    he was a better rebounder than those last 4 guys you named, those first two are on his level with Wilt being on a higher level, nobody is on Wilt level when speaking about rebounding/holding the paint down, MDE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    26,299
    Russell. But Kobe not being in the top 10 really irks me.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Hakeem Olajuwon barely beat out Bill Russell last round. This round I added Charles Barkley, who was ranked 18th by ESPN's #NBARank, to the player pool. Voting lasts two days.

    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    3. Lebron James
    4. Wilt Chamberlain
    5. Tim Duncan
    6. Shaquille O'Neal
    7. Magic Johnson
    8. Larry Bird
    9. Hakeem Olajuwon
    Bird is not top 10 in my book of the best/most dominant to ever play, see the Rodman quote for my reasoning, the most honest on point quote from a player to a player, if Bird was melanin/carbon he would just be another player, Rodman is 1000000pct correct

    when making a all time best 10 players ranking, you have to consider who you would draft first overall to lead your franchise from scratch and its 10 players easily I would take over Bird, easily

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    20,793
    It's also pretty obvious that whether people are conscious of it or not, rings matter to people when determining.

    If you look at players who led their team here are the top players by rings:

    Russell 11
    Kareem 6
    MJ 6
    Kobe 5
    Duncan 5
    Magic 5
    Shaq 4
    Larry 3
    LeBron 3

    All 9 of them will be ranked in the top 11 all-time. Yet players like CP3, KG, Malone, Barkley, Robinson, etc. have better stats than many of the guys ranked above.

    Whether we want to admit it or not, rings are definitely a factor in our ranking system.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Russell. But Kobe not being in the top 10 really irks me.
    I always say there are 11 guys worthy of being Top 10, so the question is, who gets left out, or who would you replace Kobe with in the Top 10?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    26,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    was he as good of a rebounder as Wilt, or Rodman? Reggie Evans? Danny Fortson? Kevin Love, or Andre Drummond?

    We don't have rebound rates from Russell's day, but at the possession count, and how many minutes he played, I would guess that while he was an awesome rebounder, it's yet again a part of his game people overrate.

    That being said, now is about the position I struggle bumping him any further from.
    Wilt? Of course. Rodman? Because it's rebounding, fine. Those other names are garbage. How many of them were top 3 in rebounding for a decade straight?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    26,299
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I always say there are 11 guys worthy of being Top 10, so the question is, who gets left out, or who would you replace Kobe with in the Top 10?
    Hakeem! Didn't you see me trying to block him in the other thread?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It's also pretty obvious that whether people are conscious of it or not, rings matter to people when determining.

    If you look at players who led their team here are the top players by rings:

    Russell 11
    Kareem 6
    MJ 6
    Kobe 5
    Duncan 5
    Magic 5
    Shaq 4
    Larry 3
    LeBron 3

    All 9 of them will be ranked in the top 11 all-time. Yet players like CP3, KG, Malone, Barkley, Robinson, etc. have better stats than many of the guys ranked above.

    Whether we want to admit it or not, rings are definitely a factor in our ranking system.
    Well, you're trying to make it seem as if stats are the only measure.. why is it guys like KG are ranked over Wade despite KG having one ring? I can use that same argument to debunk what you're proposing. Stats, rings, accomplishments, era, generation, competition. Btw, did you leave Wilt out of that list intentionally? Most people would take Wilt over Russ because he was such a force on both ends. You can take Bill for leadership but he was not better than Wilt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •