Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 139 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2314
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Interesting nugget in Sharma's piece for The Athletic today, he said the Cubs had a deal in place last year to get Britton for a ML roster player but Baltimore backed out.

Wonder who they would've sent.
    Anyone more valuable then LaStella and I would not have been happy. And my guess is whoever it was last year, it is not as much this year.

That is why they ended up with Wilson, IMO. Tired of waiting around for the O's to make a decision.

My guess is it was Happ. And I am glad it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I don't know. Teams like the Yankees and Rangers have 10 times the bonus to offer and DH at bats to offer that the Cubs can't match.

The Cubs are a great destination, but I don't think they have equal odds with those other teams. The dodgers can also offer everything the Cubs can.

It's not impossible, but it's a long shot the Cubs get him unless they can find a not obvious way to be creative with these restrictions.
    While the Yankees and the Rangers can offer 10 times the bonus, I can't imagine Otani is being as shortsighted as deciding that he's going to make a 6-year decision on a $2.7m whim. He's not a poor kid coming from Latin America. He's a multi-million dollar man already. I think situation will dictate his decision. You're right in stating that the DH at-bats could effect him, but again, that's situation. But conversely, the Cubs have a winning team today, while the Rangers have shown regression and over the next 6 years, are they really a huge threat? How much does Otani value winning over DH ab's? Yes, the Yankees can offer the winning and the AB's, as well, but I don't find them a forgone conclusion. These are all answers we'll learn.

I fully agree it's a longshot, but I think it's a longshot due to the amount of teams interested and less because of what the Cubs can/can't offer. The Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, etc...all are going to have the same base sales pitch for the guy (with the only real caveat being, some teams can offer a DH spot today). It may change slightly, but I don't think it's particularly shading in one direction or another, nor do I believe a $2.7m bonus should be the kicker. It may push the needle a wee bit, but this is far more about what can they offer me long term, imo, than what can team X offer me today considering the best he's going to get is really pittance compared to what his long term financial goals likely are.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-14-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    While the Yankees and the Rangers can offer 10 times the bonus, I can't imagine Otani is being as shortsighted as deciding that he's going to make a 6-year decision on a $2.7m whim. He's not a poor kid coming from Latin America. He's a multi-million dollar man already. I think situation will dictate his decision. You're right in stating that the DH at-bats could effect him, but again, that's situation. But conversely, the Cubs have a winning team today, while the Rangers have shown regression and over the next 6 years, are they really a huge threat? How much does Otani value winning over DH ab's? Yes, the Yankees can offer the winning and the AB's, as well, but I don't find them a forgone conclusion. These are all answers we'll learn.

I fully agree it's a longshot, but I think it's a longshot due to the amount of teams interested and less because of what the Cubs can/can't offer. The Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, etc...all are going to have the same base sales pitch for the guy (with the only real caveat being, some teams can offer a DH spot today). It may change slightly, but I don't think it's particularly shading in one direction or another, nor do I believe a $2.7m bonus should be the kicker. It may push the needle a wee bit, but this is far more about what can they offer me long term, imo, than what can team X offer me today considering the best he's going to get is really pittance compared to what his long term financial goals likely are.
    I just don't think it's nearly equal odds. I think the Yankees are significantly more likely to get him than the Cubs. Other AL teams also have much better odds and the Dodgers can offer everything the Cubs can in a location that may appeal to him more.

That $3million is also not insignificant. That's all he's guaranteed to move across the world. If he's very good, he'll make a fortune, but $3 million + gives a level of guarantee that 300k doesn't.

I think the Yankees are a far more likely outcome for him than the Cubs.

I'm not so sure an MLB team would want to just hand him over a DH job as well. We still don't know if he can hit major league pitching. That would be doubling down on your risk.

Baseball Prospectusí list of the top 50 free agents and predictions

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...ent-50-part-1/
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...ent-50-part-2/
    Last edited by ILMindState; 11-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    I'm not so sure an MLB team would want to just hand him over a DH job as well. We still don't know if he can hit major league pitching. That would be doubling down on your risk.
    If he's not a good hitter then you stop giving him at bats. But they can promise an opportunity that NL teams can't.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I just don't think it's nearly equal odds. I think the Yankees are significantly more likely to get him than the Cubs. Other AL teams also have much better odds and the Dodgers can offer everything the Cubs can in a location that may appeal to him more.

That $3million is also not insignificant. That's all he's guaranteed to move across the world. If he's very good, he'll make a fortune, but $3 million + gives a level of guarantee that 300k doesn't.

I think the Yankees are a far more likely outcome for him than the Cubs.
    I think the outcome may be more likely, but I don't think it's "far" more likely. This is a very unique and different situation where money can't separate you in a hugely, significant way. We can't realistically know what's going through Otani's mind, and this is unlike traditional FA where I don't think anyone is going to be priced out of the talks from the start.

It will be incredibly interesting to see how this plays out. I don't expect him to be a Cub, but I also don't think the Cubs are significantly behind any team's pitch without knowing exactly what Otani's priorities are.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It will be incredibly interesting to see how this plays out. I don't expect him to be a Cub, but I also don't think the Cubs are significantly behind any team's pitch without knowing exactly what Otani's priorities are.
    Yeah this is gonna be a fun one to follow. Everyone is just assuming he wants to be a DH and play with another Japanese dude. But what if he doesn't want either of those things? Nobody really knows.

2017-2018 Chicago Cubs Offseason FA/Trade Thread

With Ohtani letís just hope heís realistic where hitting is concerned and knows that if his bat doesnít translate to the Majors that no ML manager will DH him just for the sake of it. He could very well be the #1 of a rotation but thereís every chance he doesnít hit ML pitching.

In his journey to one of Japanís best hitters I wonder how many pitchers of the caliber of Kershaw, Arrieta, Scherzer, De Grom, Syndergaard, Archer, Stroman, Verlander, Keuchel he faced. Or thatís a bit unfair, Teheran, Gray, Fulmer, Hill, Duffy. Absolutely no guarantee he hit those guys like he hit in Japan. Itís for that reason that I hope he doesnít exclude the NL totally.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 11-14-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    With Ohtani letís just hope heís realistic where hitting is concerned and knows that if his bat doesnít translate to the Majors that no ML manager will DH him just for the sake of it. He could very well be the #1 of a rotation but thereís every chance he doesnít hit ML pitching.

In his journey to one of Japanís best hitters I wonder how many pitchers of the caliber of Kershaw, Arrieta, Scherzer, De Grom, Syndergaard, Archer, Stroman, Verlander, Keuchel he faced. Or thatís a bit unfair, Teheran, Gray, Fulmer, Hill, Duffy. Absolutely no guarantee he hit those guys like he hit in Japan
    Actually if he doesnt hit well enough to be in the line up being in the AL will not be a good thing for him. On days he pitches is he going to be allowed to bat and the team not use a DH? So is a team going to sit their usual DH so a good hitting pitcher can be in the line up instead of a guy who is only in baseball because he can hit? Not sure how many AB he would get in the AL if he ends up just a good hitter(for a pitcher).

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Actually if he doesnt hit well enough to be in the line up being in the AL will not be a good thing for him. On days he pitches is he going to be allowed to bat and the team not use a DH? So is a team going to sit their usual DH so a good hitting pitcher can be in the line up instead of a guy who is only in baseball because he can hit? Not sure how many AB he would get in the AL if he ends up just a good hitter(for a pitcher).
    I read somewhere that if an AL team allows the pitcher to hit for himself then they forfeit the use of the DH spot for the entire game. So whatever pitcher substituted for Otani would then have to hit or be pinch hit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    I read somewhere that if an AL team allows the pitcher to hit for himself then they forfeit the use of the DH spot for the entire game. So whatever pitcher substituted for Otani would then have to hit or be pinch hit for.
    That is true. That has always been the rule. Just not really a factor until now, if it is a factor.

Reports that Stanton has zero interest in the Cardinals (or Red Sox).

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

Hank White has officially joined the Nationals coaching staff under Dave Martinez and will be their bullpen coach

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!