Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 140 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2432
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Actually if he doesnt hit well enough to be in the line up being in the AL will not be a good thing for him. On days he pitches is he going to be allowed to bat and the team not use a DH? So is a team going to sit their usual DH so a good hitting pitcher can be in the line up instead of a guy who is only in baseball because he can hit? Not sure how many AB he would get in the AL if he ends up just a good hitter(for a pitcher).
    That's a really good point rcal. If he doesn't turn out to be a really good hitter, he would not hit at all in the AL...and at least in the NL he could bat the day he pitches. Maybe even PH every now and then like a Zambrano would. He said he is going to listen to what teams tell him, and he isn't stuck on hitting as a must.
    If you take that out of the equation, then you'd figure the Cubs have just as good of a chance as signing him as any other team does. Doesn't look like $$ is a huge issue to him, or he'd just wait the 2 years to cash in big. Or maybe he already knows exactly where he wants to go. If he doesn't, the Cubs obviously have some very strong things to sell him on. Great young core, just won the WS, very good defense, big market, etc. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Soler would be my guess. When Baltimore backed out, they got Wade instead.

Just an educated guess of course, but yeah.
    I know they're looking at him now, Theo needs to quit screwing around and get a long term fix at closer, they blew up the farm for Ardolis, then emptied the remainder for Wilson, they traded Solar for Davis (great trade) now they're looking at adding Britton, who's a great closer, but it would be another one year deal which would have to come out of the major league roster and empty out anything else of value in the minors.

They should be looking at Rasiel Iglasis of the Reds he's good young and is under control for at least 5 years, I get the inter division stuff, but constantly selling off the roster to fill the closer role every year isn't a good long term strategy.

no way thats enough

See, I feel like an NL team has an edge with Ohtani because he's guaranteed the abs and he could pinch hit regularly. Then, you factor in a moving parts manager like Maddon, and I feel like the Cubs should be considered one of the top landing spots as far as NL teams go. Ohtani plays the outfield. So I get the DH stuff, but I feel like, unless someone like the Yankees is just totally committed to him as the full-time DH, he'll get more plate appearances for an NL team. The Dodgers definitely have to be intriguing to him as well.

I'm truly intrigued at how he'll translate to the Majors. I think seeing him actually become a successful two-way player would be amazing.

Actually if he doesnt hit well enough to be in the line up being in the AL will not be a good thing for him. On days he pitches is he going to be allowed to bat and the team not use a DH? So is a team going to sit their usual DH so a good hitting pitcher can be in the line up instead of a guy who is only in baseball because he can hit? Not sure how many AB he would get in the AL if he ends up just a good hitter(for a pitcher).
    Right, this is why I don't believe that an AL team can just automatically guarantee him a DH spot. Why wouldn't an AL team just sign Ohtani and use the money saved to get a real DH like JD Martinez or another established MLB hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by WCF23 View Post
    See, I feel like an NL team has an edge with Ohtani because he's guaranteed the abs and he could pinch hit regularly. Then, you factor in a moving parts manager like Maddon, and I feel like the Cubs should be considered one of the top landing spots as far as NL teams go. Ohtani plays the outfield. So I get the DH stuff, but I feel like, unless someone like the Yankees is just totally committed to him as the full-time DH, he'll get more plate appearances for an NL team. The Dodgers definitely have to be intriguing to him as well.

I'm truly intrigued at how he'll translate to the Majors. I think seeing him actually become a successful two-way player would be amazing.
    Anybody in the know of a pitcher’s routine?? If this kid played every day, would his throwing in the field be comparable to off-day work when he’s not starting (pitching)??

Oh, maybe I read it wrong. By last year I thought the report was about a deal in place at the trade deadline last year. In other words when the Cubs already had Davis for Soler. I thought I read something at the deadline that the Cubs and Orioles were close to a deal but the O's stalled so the Cubs went and got Wilson.

That is why I think it could have been Happ, but I would not have been happy with that. LaStella would be the most I would have given for Britton, and now, with only 1 year left on his deal and still not proven to be totally back, I do not think I would even give up TLS.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I know they're looking at him now, Theo needs to quit screwing around and get a long term fix at closer, they blew up the farm for Ardolis, then emptied the remainder for Wilson, they traded Solar for Davis (great trade) now they're looking at adding Britton, who's a great closer, but it would be another one year deal which would have to come out of the major league roster and empty out anything else of value in the minors.

They should be looking at Rasiel Iglasis of the Reds he's good young and is under control for at least 5 years, I get the inter division stuff, but constantly selling off the roster to fill the closer role every year isn't a good long term strategy.
    Britton should not and will not cost that much, IMO.

Britton should not and will not cost that much, IMO.
    And I get the feeling they thought it was a role Edwards coulda slipped into. Then they thought they were doubling down when they got Wilson. Unfortunately you can't roll into the season with either as the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post

Why would the Reds want to trade him though?

2017-2018 Chicago Cubs Offseason FA/Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    That's just not true. Realistically, the difference between $300K and $3m for someone like Otani on a signing bonus is nothing long term. The dude made nearly $2.3m in JPY last season. He's not hurting for money. More than likely, whether a team can offer the max or not, Otani is going to go to the situation that fits him the best. He'll make the money up down the road, likely in 2-3 years when he starts to hit arbitration. He'll either get paid in arbitration, or he'll get a big contract. Otani's signing bonus likely won't move the needle very much.

The Cubs have about as good of a situation for someone like Otani as anyone. They're young, they're a winner, and they have money to pay the man down the road. Doesn't make the Cubs the most likely destination, it's definitely going to be an uphill battle either way, but I'd say the Cubs are about as likely as the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, Rangers... The reason it's a longshot is because there are so many teams who will be on essentially equal footing. Not because of the signing bonus.
    THE HIGHEST PROBABILITY .... please read what I wrote

If you think there’s a higher probability that the cubs land him you are high
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 11-14-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Don’t insult a mod.

Any chance we get wade back AND make the deal for Britton. Sign another top end arm and build an elite pen? I wouldn’t be mad at it.

Are any teams over the luxury tax this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Any chance we get wade back AND make the deal for Britton. Sign another top end arm and build an elite pen? I wouldn’t be mad at it.
    Just read some comments from Theo on how they usually don't like to do long deals w closers, but that Wade could be the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    I think that is possible if Davis will take a 3 year deal.