Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 127 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2415
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    If you are referring to the Houston offer to the Rays in January you are referring to an offer a year ago. In one year Archer lost 1 year of control and didn't increase his value as a pitcher. Comparing what Houston would have given to TB last year is not a fair comparison to what Archer is worth now. Not saying I would or wouldn't trade Russell or Baez, even, for Archer. Also not sure what is fair and what isn't. But comparing an offer last year to one they will get this year is not an exact comparison (even if they did get the offer mentioned, previously)
    I wasn't comparing last year's offer to this year's potential offers. The point I was making was if they really WANTED to trade him they had a very good deal on the table that they refused. That tells me they don't WANT to trade him but if they're blown away, they will.

I absolutely don't want to be that team that blows them away with an offer
    Last edited by thawv; 11-10-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzOnMe View Post
    Who do you guys think is the most likely closer next year IF the cubs donít sign Wade Davis?
    Rumor has it that Lackey isnít retiring...

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    $175 over 8 years equates to about $22M a year. With calculations of WAR being about $7M per each 1WAR that has Heyward expected to perform to about a 3.1WAR each year to be worth his contract. That is not a generational player. And even if it was a 7 year deal at that figure(I am not sure of the length) we are still looking at less than a 4WAR. Again, not generational. Fact is it was a large contract that at the time of the deal was very fair, had he kept performing as he had to that point. In fact, I think some did not like they buyout after 3 and 4 years because they felt he would use it. Obviously it does not look that way now.
    It definetly does not look that way now.

To put up 30 war by age 25 means your very much on a Hall of Fame track, up to that point he had 3 season with a WAR of 6 or better, and one with a WAR at like 5.8.
    He's a very gifted player who just all of a sudden forgot how to hit.

BCB put up a fake offseason prediction thread, and itís an interesting read based on what they sought out to do:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2017...fake-2018-cubs

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I don't know where the Houston thing is from or if it is true.

If, for example, they value Russell more than Archer (and so think they should), then they would trade Russell for Archer. It doesn't have to be for prospects if they are acquiring a player they value more.

It's not about selling the guy you trade, it's about buying the guy you get.
    And that would be the only reason for them to do the deal.

Russell wouldn't save them any money, wouldn't buy them additional years of club control, wouldn't bolster their prospect inventory, and wouldn't allow them to fill multiple holes.

I'd imagine the Rays would have at least a few of these objectives in mind if they were looking to deal Archer.

Who would be our biggest competitors in the TORP trade market, Yankees or Red Sox? Yankees have the prospect currency. The Red Sox would probably have to trade from their ML roster since they went all in on Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Iím pretty sure FA started 5 days after the end of the World Series. Things will probably pick up around Thanksgiving time when it gets closer to the Winter Meetings
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The GM meetings are next week. Things should pick up a little then. The winter meetings are a month away now.
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I think you're oversimplifying a lot of these cases. I don't think anyone thinks Shark is great, nor that Javy is bad. I think all that's been said is that Shark isn't as bad as some of his numbers suggest and Javy isn't as good as some of his do.

I'm also tired of the "box score reader" thing. I watch basically every Cubs game and have for years, even the bad ones. I have the utmost respect for the observations that people make. Nevertheless, I still care about what the stats say, sue me. Overall, off the top of my head I can recall a handful of at bats from memory, and a handful of plays on the field. Generally, both things are useful when evaluating players.

I agree with your finishing message, that is, the numbers aren't inherently valuable, but rather how you interpet them, but I'm not sure it really agrees with the majority of your post, which acts rather dismissive towards them. I also think once again people are being way too overly sensitive to debate. Stop taking it personally when someone has a contrarian opinion to you. Not EVERYTHING is a dick measuring contest to see who the smartest person in the room is, some of us just like talking about ****ing baseball cause it's fun and interesting.
    Guilty conscience...

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Winter meetings

Probably day 2-4 of the meetings. Dec 11-13
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Trade a SS+ for SP, sign Cozart, Cobb, Reed, Swarzak, Minor

Not too much to ask
    Cozart caught lightning in a bottle last year, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    I agree, if they spend on a reliever I hope it's for Reed
    Reed, then, could be the closer? Or are you thinking setup man?

6-3 A.J. Moye to Carols Boozer:
    "We're Indiana Mother****er."

I may be wrong, but am I the only one who thinks they're going to go after Lance Lynn? I'm pretty sure nobody's mentioned him and I was just wondering why.

I wonder if there's a way to sign both Lynn and Cobb? I know that will be extremely expensive so I doubt it's possible, but it would be better than signing one and trading for the usual suspects in my opinion.

6-3 A.J. Moye to Carols Boozer:
    "We're Indiana Mother****er."

Not really a surprise, but ESPN reporting that the Nippon Ham Fighters will post Shohei Otani this offseason

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    I may be wrong, but am I the only one who thinks they're going to go after Lance Lynn? I'm pretty sure nobody's mentioned him and I was just wondering why.

I wonder if there's a way to sign both Lynn and Cobb? I know that will be extremely expensive so I doubt it's possible, but it would be better than signing one and trading for the usual suspects in my opinion.
    Lynn is a perfectly fine signing. I like him better than Cobb and he may end up being cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    Reed, then, could be the closer? Or are you thinking setup man?
    Maybe? I want them to acquire a bunch of arms and then sort it all out later

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GreedyGiftedKitfox.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Maybe? I want them to acquire a bunch of arms and then sort it all out later

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GreedyGiftedKitfox.gif
    Reed
    McGee
    Strop
    Wilson
    Edwards

If those were our top five, I'm confident one would assume the mantle. If not, the Joe will need to be creative with 5 viable options and just roll with a committee.

Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    Lynn is a perfectly fine signing. I like him better than Cobb and he may end up being cheaper.
    No thanks. Guy is 80% fastball on the downward slant of his career. Cobb is undoubtedly the better pitcher with regards to expectation of future performance.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    Reed
    McGee
    Strop
    Wilson
    Edwards

If those were our top five, I'm confident one would assume the mantle. If not, the Joe will need to be creative with 5 viable options and just roll with a committee.
    Agreed. My guess is it would be McGee's job to lose to start the year, but there's plenty of talent there. I also would include Maples. Not because I think he's likely to be anything at this point but just because he's a potentially special talent. If he can develop any kind of command of his pitches, he's got better stuff than anyone.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

No thanks. Guy is 80% fastball on the downward slant of his career. Cobb is undoubtedly the better pitcher with regards to expectation of future performance.
    I don't think a 2/3 year deal for a 31 year old to be our 4/5 is at all scary. His history is far better than Cobb, and at 31 I think you can use past performance and still be comfortable about the immediate future.
    Agreed. My guess is it would be McGee's job to lose to start the year, but there's plenty of talent there. I also would include Maples. Not because I think he's likely to be anything at this point but just because he's a potentially special talent. If he can develop any kind of command of his pitches, he's got better stuff than anyone.
    Maples can be electric. Would love to see him win a spot in the BP this year. I too see him as having the best stuff besides maybe Edwards.