C Rene Rivera

FA/Trade Team Areas of Need:
    Starting Pitching
    Relief Pitching
    Leadoff Hitter

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

2017-2018 Chicago Cubs Offseason FA/Trade Thread

As much as having the season end tonight is disappointing, I canít wait for the season to officially be over after the World Series so we can start the excitement of new additions.

Iíd look at resigning Avila, good backup catcher. After that, I am not even sure. Wade Davis wasnít as solid late into the regular season and postseason so I am not sure about him as the closer.

Arrieta? Not on the money and years he is looking for.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 10-19-2017 at 11:30 PM.

3. 10-19-2017, 11:33 PM
    Reason
    Trolling.

Have to get some right handed bats. Would love to get an OF worthy of playing everyday. But I donít know if weíll see that, unfortunately.

-Not expecting Theo to have two 100 million dollar contracts for pitchers on the wrong side of 30. With the majority of Leake's contract off the books, and Wainwright a free agent after next season, St Louis could decide to make a serious run at Arrieta.

-Wade is 32, and had two DL trips last season. But I'm still expecting some team to give him four years. Maybe the Nats, to form an elite bullpen trio with Doolittle and Madson. Plus Madson is getting long in the tooth, so signing Davis gives protection against him regressing.

-Would be glad to bring back Jay on a one year deal.

-Duensing will turn 35 early next year, and doesn't exactly have a stellar track record. That being said I expect him to get a two year deal somewhere else. Hopefully Theo can replace him with another under the radar bargain basement pickup.

-Schwarber or Happ for pitching help will likely be talked about a lot in the offseason. I don't see Baez being dealt unless someone else is acquired who can be adequate defensively at shortstop. The pitching help could even be for the bullpen. And if the reliever is under team control for 3+ years that wouldn't be a terrible move to consider (especially with Wade a legit threat to move on).

-Wonder if we'll be getting a repeat of last offseason, in terms of 4-3 spending the winter in Arizona for swing tweaks. And if Theo considers a bad contract for bad contract trade.

-Dillon Maples is one of the team's biggest x-factors. His 2018 could range from quality late inning reliever to struggling in Iowa.
    LVP Heyward Club:

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    You 184 million dollar moron!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Heyward is trash and everyone here knows it, even Bibbers

You call that trolling, but im just speaking the truth
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    You're way more likeable

Does anyone feel like we need to get a leadoff hitter or is that just something to people don't think really matters? Outside of the obvious needs in the starting rotation and bullpen, a leadoff hitter is what I would like to see. I don't know if all of: Almora, Schwarber, Happ will be back next year. I feel like one or two will be gone.

2017-2018 Chicago Cubs Offseason FA/Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    You call that trolling, but im just speaking the truth
    I call it like I see it. You clearly were trolling with the Lackey/Wilson comments.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    Does anyone feel like we need to get a leadoff hitter or is that just something to people don't think really matters? Outside of the obvious needs in the starting rotation and bullpen, a leadoff hitter is what I would like to see. I don't know if all of: Almora, Schwarber, Happ will be back next year. I feel like one or two will be gone.
    Was suggesting Yelich a while back, and with the Marlins looking to shed payroll I'd love to take a shot at acquiring him. He takes his walks, doesn't strikeout at a terrible rate, is durable and can even steal the occasional base. Yelich is tolerable against lefties too.
    LVP Heyward Club:

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    You 184 million dollar moron!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Heyward is trash and everyone here knows it, even Bibbers

I can see them targeting Yelich, he checks a lot of boxes.
    Side note: Iím not sold on Schwarber having as much value on the market as some seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Have to get some right handed bats. Would love to get an OF worthy of playing everyday. But I donít know if weíll see that, unfortunately.
    Cain?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    CUBS and BEARS

Quote Originally Posted by Mousedog332 View Post
    Cain?
    I really like him a lot. The only thing is what do you do with Almora. Do you move him to LF and trade Schwarber. I don't know. Theo and company have a lot to evaluate this offseason.

I really like him a lot. The only thing is what do you do with Almora. Do you move him to LF and trade Schwarber. I don't know. Theo and company have a lot to evaluate this offseason.
    That is what I would seriously consider doing. Even though I really like Schwarber, this year might be what he will be. He might be a 30 HR guy but have a bad slash line. Give me a 15-20 HR guy itís a good glove in LF and who can hit for a good average.

Happ had a really nice year at the plate, but if we never have to watch him try to track another flyball on the warning track, it'll be fabulous. What a nightmare that is.

For so long folks talked about Schwarber being an AL/DH guy. Happ is possibly even more of a liability.

If someone needs to be dealt, he gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Happ had a really nice year at the plate, but if we never have to watch him try to track another flyball on the warning track, it'll be fabulous. What a nightmare that is.

For so long folks talked about Schwarber being an AL/DH guy. Happ is possibly even more of a liability.

If someone needs to be dealt, he gets my vote.
    I get the feeling Happ/Schwarber/Almora: one or two them will be gone. You may be on to something with Happ because the organization still loves Schwarber and probably Almora but not so much on Happ. Happ will probably have a nice career but just nowhere to put him on this team.

I think part of the problem as to why r team "didn't" have a leadoff hitter this year, was bc half r lineup was made up of "part time" players. I'd prefer to have at LEAST 6 every day players. I think part of the reason we had so many guys getting significant ABs was bc we still want to evaluate r young players for the future while we contend. That's fine, but I they've had enough "eval" time w this group, it's time to make decisions w r position players. Trade the guys you're not as high on, and the guys u believe in, show confidence in them and play them close to every day. If you believe in Scwarber/AA/Baez/Happ/JHey/TLS/ then for example let AA bat against righties all year, see if he's capable of adjusting to RH pitchers. I'm definitely in the trade some major league pieces camp, just a matter of who.

Of the "controllable non every day pieces" I covet Swarbs, AA, TLS, Happ, Baez, and JHey in that order from best to worst. I think the scwarbs is gna be a beast and should be untradeable given his perceived value around the league. AA I've seen enough from him to give him a shot in CF everyday next year. TLS, I've seen enough from him to think he can play every day on a winning ball club. I believe he can get on base at a 350 plus clip w 550 plate appearances, Yes his defense is suspect, but id be willing and excited to see how see how he does for a full season, if he doesn't succeed u can always play ZObs at 2nd everyday. Happ, I'm a lil more nervous about trading. He has power,a decent eye, and has position flexibility. Not the kinda guy I see the Cubs trading, but ultimately I think we should. Bc of all the things I mentioned above I think he would have really high trade value, much more then AA or TLS could get back in return. Plus, my gut says he doesn't turn into a star...sell high! Baez has power, position flexibility at all the infield positions and does it at a high level. Not the kind of guy most people would want to trade, but again I think we should. I think Baez has sky rocket trade value right now, I think him alone could land either solid Major league players or a huge prospect haul. How could he not, a young/cheap promising defensive SS w power and massive upside. I think Baez is gna be in this league a long time and be productive, but I think his value is at its peak, so trade him. JHey trade him if u can, if not hope for the best and make him a true part time player until he proves otherwise.

In conclusion of my long story lol (I apologize), I believe the Cubs should trade Happ and Baez together or separately. Either trade them to improve pitching or trade them to revamp r farm system or both. Maybe u believe we should trade scwarbs and AA, regardless we need to trade some of these pieces. People that say we shouldn't trade Baez bc he's r only back up SS, yea I agreed w that during the trade deadline I don't think that's relevant now. If we trade Baez I have all the confidence in the world we could find a decent cheap SS/2nd base combo player in FA to serve as a backup.

Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast