Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158
Results 2,356 to 2,367 of 2367
    Iím just hoping they donít do the trade and the cards get Miami to pay a bunch. Otherwise, my personal wish list is for us to get Harper or machado after next year and for the cards to get Stanton and that contract cripples them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I have very little interest in Stanton right now. He's oft injured, that contract is essentially market value over the next 10, and the Marlins seem to want their cake (eating little money) and to eat it too (good package return).
    Honestly he's the biggest impact add we could make. I think they did an excellent job on FG recently showing how the contract is actually rather palatable and has a fairly good chance of still having plenty of surplus value. I feel like he would elevate the whole offense.

We just better be right about Bryce - and not hold anything back in our offer when the time comes. I feel like he wants to play for us but I'm not sure we're gonna be prepared to make a 400m commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Honestly he's the biggest impact add we could make. I think they did an excellent job on FG recently showing how the contract is actually rather palatable and has a fairly good chance of still having plenty of surplus value. I feel like he would elevate the whole offense.

We just better be right about Bryce - and not hold anything back in our offer when the time comes. I feel like he wants to play for us but I'm not sure we're gonna be prepared to make a 400m commitment.
    He's the biggest impact the team could make in 2018...probably. But he could have the same impact on the opposite side of the coin in 3-4 years if his contract looks like an albatross. His contract could be palatable, but that completely relies on an oft injured player being not oft injured any more. I don't trust that.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He's the biggest impact the team could make in 2018...probably. But he could have the same impact on the opposite side of the coin in 3-4 years if his contract looks like an albatross. His contract could be palatable, but that completely relies on an oft injured player being not oft injured any more. I don't trust that.
    I get it. Totally get why someone wouldn't to do it.

Still want us to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I get it. Totally get why someone wouldn't to do it.

Still want us to do it.
    I think you will be extremely happy AND relieved when time goes by and we have Harper or machado after next year instead of Stanton after this year.

Not just because youíll see how bad that contract will be, but because youíll notice he didnít bring his new team a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    I think you will be extremely happy AND relieved when time goes by and we have Harper or machado after next year instead of Stanton after this year.

Not just because youíll see how bad that contract will be, but because youíll notice he didnít bring his new team a championship.
    You're trashing the Stanton contract, but want Harper? Harper will require 10+ years at more money per season. Also in 2016 Harper was a flat out disappointment at the plate (although there were rumors about him playing through injuries). So it's no sure thing you're getting an MVP caliber hitter year in and year out.

Mind you I'm not necessarily against signing Harper, as for the first four or so years of the deal you're likely getting an elite hitter. Just keep in mind by around year seven or so of the deal Harper's production could slide in a big time way (as he would be hitting his age 32 season). So lets not act as though the Harper contract is without risk.

Plus Theo almost certainly wont be able to afford Harper as long as Heyward is still on the team. And even if he is dealt it would need to be for a player, or players, with less years remaining on their contract for the Harper odds to improve.
    Last edited by Prior22; Today at 01:33 AM.
    LVP Heyward Club:

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    You 184 million dollar moron!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Heyward is trash and everyone here knows it, even Bibbers

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Had a horrible nightmare where Lester got hurt and nobody was hitting and the Cubs started the season 4-18. Super relieved to have woken up
    Thank God it was a dream!

However, if this happens, we are holding you personally responsible for it!

I have a question for the board. Theo believes that 10 years is a good amount of time to stay as a GM with one team. So he is probably gone after his contract is up. Here's the question. Do you think that it's possible that inking guys for much longer than he will be here for, really matters to him since he won't be around when they become bad deals?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I have a question for the board. Theo believes that 10 years is a good amount of time to stay as a GM with one team. So he is probably gone after his contract is up. Here's the question. Do you think that it's possible that inking guys for much longer than he will be here for, really matters to him since he won't be around when they become bad deals?
    Yes it does. Even if he believes he won't be here, he still feels it's his obligation to do what's best for the organization.

Just my opinion.

Theo's said that in the past, but he also had a somewhat falling out in Boston. If the relationship remains good in Chicago and we continue winning, I do think he'll have a hard time leaving the situation he has here. I also don't think he's a ******* who will just put the Cubs in financial ruin long term because he won't be here, if he adheres to the "ten year" thing, as it'd likely be a situation where we see Jed Hoyer or a friend of his who will take over.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

I think he'll stick to his 10 year plan, but he's not going to make a bad decision because he's leaving.

I do think he'll push harder for the short term these next 4 years, but he's not going to do something dumb because it won't be his problem down the road.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932634337555738624

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk