Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ron Gardenhire is the new Tigers manager

The Tigers have decided they want Ron Gardenhire as their next manager, The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal reports.
    Gardenhire is also still in the running for the Red Sox job, but it's expected that the nod there will go to Alex Cora. Assuming that's how it works out, then Gardenhire will probably return to the AL Central with the Tigers. The soon-to-be 60-year-old was 1,068-1,039 in 13 seasons with the Twins before being let go three years ago.
    via rotoworld

Ron Gardenhire is #Tigers next manager, per @Ken_Rosenthal and @KatieJStrang.
    via Tony Paul of the DETnews

interesting

I think the window for him to be our manager kinda closed, but whatever, I don't think the manager for the rest of the decade matters all that much.

I think he'll be a stepping stone. He'll (hopefully) get our team back into contention early next decade, but then be replaced by somebody younger. Whatever the case, he fits what they wanted.

Makes sense. Hes just there to get through these next couple of terrible seasons. And he should instill hard work and fundamentals into these youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    I think the window for him to be our manager kinda closed, but whatever, I don't think the manager for the rest of the decade matters all that much.

I think he'll be a stepping stone. He'll (hopefully) get our team back into contention early next decade, but then be replaced by somebody younger. Whatever the case, he fits what they wanted.
    But if he gets the team back into contention could you really fire him for someone younger? Didn't we already go through that?

He will also be 60 by the time next season starts. My guess, and I could be totally wrong, but this stop will be his last. By the time we are ready to really compete for a championship he will be in his mid 60's (assuming he decides to even stick around, his reported contract is only three years).

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    He will also be 60 by the time next season starts. My guess, and I could be totally wrong, but this stop will be his last. By the time we are ready to really compete for a championship he will be in his mid 60's (assuming he decides to even stick around, his reported contract is only three years).
    for reference sake, we hired Leyland at 61 to a team that won 71 games the year prior

we won 95 games his first year, and he stayed til age 68

I'm not for or against the gardenHire, just throwing some numbers out there

the more I look at it, this is eerily similar to the Leyland hire lol, except in this instance we're not on the rise

So, I kind of had a feeling the Tigers were going to hire a manager soon and keep looking on line yesterday just in case. I posted "Your 2018 Tigers" early on figuring it would be Gonzalez as our hire. I really never thought Gardy would be the choice here due to his age and supposed "old school" managing with us beefing up our stat metric department. As I have been since his hiring, Avila again fooled me. I like Gardy as a manager and think he's actually a very good manager but not for this team. Avila always seems to fall short of my expectations and it's one of the big reasons I wanted him out with Asmus. Here's some questions and comments I have with this hiring:

1. What direction are we headed in here? Does the Gardy hire mean Avila is going to patch this coming years roster with some vets? Will he trade McCann and Casty instead of Kinsler and Greene? I mean I can't seem to find which direction we are going in. We beef up sybermetrics and then hire a guy that doesn't believe in numbers (who BTW I agree with, look at the numbers but go with your gut). I just can't see why Gardy would come here unless Avila told him he would dip into FA until the young guys are ready, INSTEAD of, what he should do which is play the young guys and let them take their lumps.

2. As I mentioned, I really like Gardy as a manager but was he hired because younger more attractive managers such as Martinez (my personal favorite) and Cora turned us down? Did it come down to Fredi Gonzalez and Gardenhire? In that event, they are both kind of the same animal so why not Gardy, I guess.

3. On Gardy, the biggest positive is that he is a well respected entity in MLB so he should be able to get some really good coaches, which my opinion is more important than anything else. I just hope he can get some "young" coaches and not the Gene Lamonts and Dave Clarks of the world. Our coaches the last few years have been, IMO, absolutely useless. No player on our roster has actually improved while getting to the show. Especially the pitchers. All seemed to regress when on the MLB roster. Base running, defense, and all other areas were a mess also. This is one area I am hopeful will improve. I also like the fact that Gardy plays some small ball. He WILL bunt when he's suppose to and he will let his players steal bases. For me, both of these are welcomed additions.

4. Final comment, Avila has to let this team grow together. If he tries to appease Gardy by signing some middling or higher priced FA then this team will stay in the doldrums for way too many years than should be expected. He's got to sign the low end, one year contract vets and hope they produce enough to get some prospects come the trade deadline. He's got to have an aggressive off season signing these players and trading the last few vets we have on this roster. We should expect to have the top pick in 2019's MLB draft and gladly take it while our young guys continue to flow to the MLB roster. If he veers in anyway, then we are up a creek without a paddle and I will be right in that he should have been given his walking papers with Ausmus.

Personally hate the move but meh. One of two things will happen.
    1. He'll prove me wrong (which is great!)
    2. He'll be here with a **** roster for 3 years and be fired (much more likely).

So here is the guy I want him to choose for his pitching coach:

Brian Bannister

During his pitching career, Bannister became known in baseball for his interest in scouting and player analysis and evaluation. He became interested in statistical analysis and Sabermetrics such as FIP and UZR as means of determining a player's true value.[8] On January 13, 2015, Bannister joined the Boston Red Sox as a member of its professional scouting department.[8] On September 9, 2015, he was promoted by Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to a new position, director of pitching analysis and development.[9] On July 6, 2016, Bannister was promoted to assistant pitching coach.[10] On November 3, 2016, he was promoted to vice president of pitching development, in addition to his role as assistant pitching coach.

If we don't go with him then John Farrell was a pretty dang good pitching coach before he became a manager. Maybe he would like to go back to that position?

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post

Brian Bannister

During his pitching career, Bannister became known in baseball for his interest in scouting and player analysis and evaluation. He became interested in statistical analysis and Sabermetrics such as FIP and UZR as means of determining a player's true value.[8] On January 13, 2015, Bannister joined the Boston Red Sox as a member of its professional scouting department.[8] On September 9, 2015, he was promoted by Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to a new position, director of pitching analysis and development.[9] On July 6, 2016, Bannister was promoted to assistant pitching coach.[10] On November 3, 2016, he was promoted to vice president of pitching development, in addition to his role as assistant pitching coach.

If we don't go with him then John Farrell was a pretty dang good pitching coach before he became a manager. Maybe he would like to go back to that position?
    Maybe if we hire a couple of hot side line reporters that Farrell can bang he'll take the job.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Maybe if we hire a couple of hot side line reporters that Farrell can bang he'll take the job.

I like this idea!

Welcome back jack. Hope you have been well.

I don't think Gardy can wait too long to fill his staff out. He is going to need to move quickly to beat some of these other teams hiring new managers recently. There are some really good pitching coaches, hitting coaches, and bench guys out there with the Nationals, Boston, and others changing managers and staffs. Get on it Gardy.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post

Brian Bannister

So, here are a few more PC names and they are all better than we have had in years:

Mike Maddux (56) Washington- The best out there but probably won't come here. Would be great if he did and maybe our very good young stable of pitching prospects might entice him?

Jim Hickey (56) Tampa- see above.....

Derek Lilliquest (51) St. Louis- Injuries really did him in. He had some good staffs when healthy. Would be a huge upgrade to Doobie

Dave Eiland (51) KC- Great PC and developed some really good arms out of the pen. I think our young hard throwers would greatly benefit from this guy.

Cal Eldred (49) St. Louis- may be a candidate as Lilliquist's replacement but he has been their special assistant for pitching and from what I read has been really good.

Jason Bere (46) Cleveland- the BP coach for Cleveland and has worked a lot with their nice young staff and has learned from Mickey Callaway so I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast