Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    We are already getting the longer season due to more days off. Opening Day this year is the last Thursday in March. DH in the NL is only a good thing IMO. I don't care to see the pitchers hit, for most it's embarrassing. I totally get the strategy argument, but where was the argument when Jimmy Nelson injured himself hitting late in the year? There was no outcry about changing things the same way it was when Harper slipped on first.
    I find DH baseball miserably boring, and the last thing baseball needs is to be any more boring.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I find DH baseball miserably boring, and the last thing baseball needs is to be any more boring.
    Honestly, I feel the same way about the pitcher hitting. So I guess that it's a good thing that it hasn't gone to one or the other yet. I guess for most, the preference is for the team you are a fan and which league they are in.

More teams = Fewer chances for a Dodgers/Yankees WS.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

aw shucks

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I have long argued that the league should carry 32 teams, 16 in each league, 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

And make the playoffs like the NFL

winner of each division makes the playoffs, then seed two wild card teams (6 of 16 teams in each league)

Top two division winners based on record get the bye, the other 4 play a best of 3. Then three best of 7's

Maximum number of games a team could play would be 24 games in the post-season. With a travel day as the only days off minus the best of 3

So if the season ends on a Sunday (stager so there isn't a night without a playoff game). Then the best of 3 would go Monday (October 2nd this post-season), Tuesday, Wednesday, then Games 1 ad 2 of the Divisional round would be Friday and Saturday. Sunday travel day, then three games in a row Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then travel day, Thursday off, Games 6 and 7 would be Friday and Saturday. Day Off Sunday (Would be the 15th).

LCS
    17 and 18 home team
    20-22 away team
    24-25 home team

WS
    27-28 home team
    30-Nov 1 away team
    2-3 home team

Post-season would end two days later, and we get additional games (but less days off during post-season)

If that's too late into the winter for people, start the regular season a week earlier, and cut back on Spring Training.

Game 7 of the World Series would be on Friday.

Please, no sub .500 teams in the playoffs.

Not bad, but you can't really start the best of 3 on Monday the day after the season ends. You need that day open for make up games, or tie breakers. Playoffs would have to start on Tuesday. I might have missed it, but how would you work the best of three? Would it be one game at WC homefield, then last two at the other? For me, I would make the wildcard play all three games on the road in that round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Please, no sub .500 teams in the playoffs.
    The 1994 A's, Rangers, Mariners, or Angels would have done exactly that.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Not bad, but you can't really start the best of 3 on Monday the day after the season ends. You need that day open for make up games, or tie breakers. Playoffs would have to start on Tuesday. I might have missed it, but how would you work the best of three? Would it be one game at WC homefield, then last two at the other? For me, I would make the wildcard play all three games on the road in that round.
    Certainly, I agree. I just hate one game playoffs. But you can push in any direction or reduce to 1 game playoffs.

Good point.

And I would alternate home field for a best of three, traveling each night. The Wild Card shouldn't be pleasant, it should be exhausting, and the teams with the bye have it easier.

I'd say the best of three should mimic a regular three game series where the better record team gets the home games. The potential for teams to travel from one side of the country to the other each night doesn't make sense to me and is unnecessarily grueling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I'd say the best of three should mimic a regular three game series where the better record team gets the home games. The potential for teams to travel from one side of the country to the other each night doesn't make sense to me and is unnecessarily grueling.
    Another compromise could be the better record could get the first two, and the worser record gets the last game. The better record team gets home field advantage, but if the worse record team can split on the road, then they could switch to their advantage.

Though, a 1 game playoff has all the drama the league would want.

Frankly, with all of the travel involved, I would rather see the divisions split up along the time-zones so the players can play and fans can watch all of their team's game on a regular schedule. Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense to skip over Milwaukee to move the Twins into the North Division.

Where will Havana fit into realignment in 2026?

It should be either all DH or no DH for all. It's that simple. Since the MLBA will not let baseball get rid of the DH, then both leagues should have DH.

As long as the playoffs do not get any longer (the NBA playoffs are stupid and my interested in NBA playoffs becomes nonexistent very quickly) then they are, currently, then I am find. No, Wild Card should not be 2 of 3. Sudden death, winner moves on, loser goes him, is the PERFECT format for the Wild Card game. It works for the NFL, it works for MLB.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    It should be either all DH or no DH for all. It's that simple. Since the MLBA will not let baseball get rid of the DH, then both leagues should have DH.

As long as the playoffs do not get any longer (the NBA playoffs are stupid and my interested in NBA playoffs becomes nonexistent very quickly) then they are, currently, then I am find. No, Wild Card should not be 2 of 3. Sudden death, winner moves on, loser goes him, is the PERFECT format for the Wild Card game. It works for the NFL, it works for MLB.
    Because a series in the NFL is unreasonable. It's done in any other team sport I can think of- NBA, MLB (DS, LCS, WS), NHL, soccer, etc.

It doesn't make sense for one game to decide a season when you have a series the rest of the Postseason. You only extend the Postseason by about three days. That's very feasible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast