Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Expansion + Realignment coming?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colum...son/?amphtml=1

I really don't know if I could handle a longer postseason and I don't even play the game. I have often figured Portland would be a good spot for a new team, though.

The NBA playoffs are ridiculously long. The MLB Postseason is perfect. They don't need more than "10" teams.

It seems like a better system from just reading. Just would take getting used to with the new divisions.

Doing this means they would have to finally make a decision on the DH.

They have to stop ****ing with the game. It's fine the way it is.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

By the read, I like it although I think 8 team leagues could be a little weird.

I also don't like that there's only 3 games against the other 24 teams. I get that it makes divisions tighter and each game more meaningful but I personally don't like how little the Mets for instance would face a team like the Dodgers or Astros. I would want more matchups like those, not less. It gets boring watching the same two-three Mets vs Braves series every September.

I'd like to see more games on the other coast rather than less, travel can be made up if you have a team face the Dodgers then the Angels then the Padres in a row.

They do have to do something about the odd number of teams in each league so there isn't some ******** interleague series every day of the regular season. I hate the idea of expansion but its inevitable with markets like Las Vegas, Montreal, and other cities wanting teams.

The idea of expanded the playoffs is all money driven and I hate it. The format is great the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They do have to do something about the odd number of teams in each league so there isn't some ******** interleague series every day of the regular season. I hate the idea of expansion but its inevitable with markets like Las Vegas, Montreal, and other cities wanting teams.

The idea of expanded the playoffs is all money driven and I hate it. The format is great the way it is.
    Oakland and Tampa Bay need to move. Problem solved.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Charlotte is the next US city to get a team. It’s one of the fastest growing cities in the US with an average more than 40 ppl moving to the Charlotte area per day. It already supports professional teams for basketball and foosball.

Those divisions look horrible.

The East is a two team division between WAS/BAL.
    The North is a three team division between NYY/BOS/CLE with DET/NYM sometimes getting involved.
    The Midwest is two Texans and a Cub.
    And the West is basically the Dodgers and friends.

Personally, I do not watch basketball during the regular season because 1) the divisions are a joke, 2) the lack of parity means the regular season is meaningless, 3) the post-season is its own extended season, and 4) the Finals always have the same super-team involved.

While I would not mind seeing Montreal get a team back and would like to see a balancing of the divisions, dropping baseball to a 156-game schedule would mess with too many records from the modern era.

I think we have enough teams in the post-season right now.

That the Diamondbacks (93-69) had to play an elimination Wild Card while the Cubs (92-70) got a free spot in the post due to relative division strength already annoys me.

Adding in more play-off games with numerous sub-90 win teams will make me lose interest.
    Last edited by IceHawk-181; 10-17-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    Those divisions look horrible.

The East is a two team division between WAS/BAL.
    The North is a three team division between NYY/BOS/CLE with DET/NYM sometimes getting involved.
    The Midwest is two Texans and a Cub.
    And the West is basically the Dodgers and friends.

Personally, I do not watch basketball during the regular season because 1) the divisions are a joke, 2) the lack of parity means the regular season is meaningless, 3) the post-season is its own extended season, and 4) the Finals always have the same super-team involved.

While I would not mind seeing Montreal get a team back and would like to see a balancing of the divisions, dropping baseball to a 156-game schedule would mess with too many records from the modern era.

I think we have enough teams in the post-season right now.

That the Diamondbacks (93-69) had to play an elimination Wild Card while the Cubs (92-70) got a free spot in the post due to relative division strength already annoys me.

Adding in more play-off games with numerous sub-90 win teams will make me lose interest.
    I was a huge football fan when I was a kid. Every Sunday was me and my dad watching the Giants games throughout the 60's. I'm talking Frank Gifford and YA Tittle here! Football (to me) was the first sport that really started going all-out commercial; everything was about the business/money side of it. It turned me off, and I lost interest in the early 70's and never watched it again. Don't care a lick about it to this day; playoffs, super bowls, don't ****ing care.

Baseball is inevitably heading in that same direction. Spreadsheet stats, robo-umps, computer strikes zones... that's video game ****. Baseball wants to go full out interleague with full time DH's and slo-mo cams for everything, screwing with the divisions and making the (traditional AL vs NL) World Series basically obsolete, will lose me as a fan of the game forever.

Obviously MLB doesn't give a **** about losing one schmuck like me along the way to them earning gazillions more for their pockets. But I don't care. Same for us fans like it is for the players; when the game is no fun anymore, it's time to get out.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

I'm not opposed to this idea. I think it will truly help players out considerably. However I also love it the way it is. I'd prefer it stay the way it is, but also would go along with this.

Last edited by spliff(TONE); 10-17-2017 at 12:42 PM.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Oakland and Tampa Bay need to move. Problem solved.
    Oakland is getting a new stadium in 5 years, and I don't think Portland could hold two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Oakland is getting a new stadium in 5 years
    They've been saying that for ~7 years...

I don't hate the idea. Focusing on the quality of divisions based upon quality of current teams is pretty foolish, since if this was implemented, it would be as a more long term solution.

As a brewers fan, I like our division, and it's probably because Milwaukee and Chicago are so close geographically, but why would Minnesota go to the east and Milwaukee stay in the Midwest? That ones a little puzzling, but the rest of the divisions make sense.

My only beef would be the playoff structure. I think a better way would be to keep it aligned with the current number of teams that qualify. Give a playoff birth to the 4 division winners. Give a playoff birth to the top 2 non division winners. Then let the next 4 best teams play the one game elimantion game that the wild card teams currently play. It's basically the same format as now, except you also reward the two best non division winners as well.

And I don't think it screws with the records that much either. In today's game, there's not a ton of guys who play all 162, even when healthy. Guys get days off during their crazy stretches. Having built in days off probably reduces the general rest period. So total games played for most guys would probably remain similar. Only about 20 guys in all of baseball played more than 156 games last year.

This isn't the perfect solution, but I hate that baseball focuses so much on historical records when making decisions about the future of the game. It's a completely different game than even from the 80s or 90s. We shouldn't make decisions for the future of the sport because we want to match the game from those time periods or earlier.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast