Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greg Holland Will Not Exercise Option

Rockies closer Greg Holland, who enjoyed a remarkable comeback season in 2017, will not exercise the player option on the contract he signed in January and will hit the free-agent market, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

Holland, 31, who could be on a shortlist for the National League Comeback Player of the Year Award in his first season back from Tommy John surgery, was a focal figure in the Rockies' return to the postseason for the first time since 2009. He tied the franchise record with 41 saves, which also tied Kenley Jansen for the most in the NL in '17, and Holland was an All-Star for the third time in his career. He finished the year with a 3.61 ERA and recorded 23 straight saves to start the year, winning NL Reliever of the Month honors for April and May.

Signed just weeks before Spring Training to an incentives-laden deal -- nearly all of which he fulfilled -- Holland will earn a $1 million buyout after collecting $15 million last year -- $9 million of which were earned through incentives for games played and finished. He fortified a Rockies bullpen that the year prior ranked last in the big leagues with a 5.13 ERA, and he played a large part in helping Colorado to keep pace in the playoff hunt all season.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/258357...t-out-of-deal/

Good move for him or not? How much will he get in FA?

The Lost Boys of PSD

The title is wrong, your saying he wont opt out but everything I've read says he will.

As far as contract, something in the Mark Melancon range, maybe more if closing isn't important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    The title is wrong, your saying he wont opt out but everything I've read says he will.
    This isn't an opt out situation, it's a player option he's declining.

First line of the article

The Lost Boys of PSD

As far as contract, something in the Mark Melancon range, maybe more if closing isn't important to him.
    I am not so sure, the peripherals aren't there like they were before. Even in 2015, he had a stark decline from 2014. Increased FIP, increased walk rate, decreased strikeout rate. Now, he's brought the latter more in line, but they still pale in comparison to 2014. I would be hesitant to give him a long-term deal like Melancon.

I don't see any of the relievers approaching Melancon money. I hope last year was an anomaly amd the max contracts signed are Robertson risqué.

Can't see Holland or Davis getting more than 15 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    This isn't an opt out situation, it's a player option he's declining.
    Yeah, I read it like he wasn't opting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I don't see any of the relievers approaching Melancon money. I hope last year was an anomaly amd the max contracts signed are Robertson risqué.

Relievers are still going to be heavily valued, and even though there isn't a Chapman or Jansen on the market, big contracts for them aren't going away.

Super curious what contract he'll get. He's a poor mans Wade Davis

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Relievers are still going to be heavily valued, and even though there isn't a Chapman or Jansen on the market, big contracts for them aren't going away.
    Sure but that's why I say they can expect Robertson money. Davis nor Holland is as good as Chapman/Jansen.

Cards are said to be all in on Holland — mlbtr

One of the guys I hope the Mets target and get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

I imagine both top that, plenty of teams in the market this year

Yeah, I don't see anyone getting Jansen/Champman money, but both are roughly equivalent to Mark Melancon, you can say he's better, fine, I don't want to split hairs, but I don't think he's signfigantly better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast