Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

John Farrell out as Red Sox manager

lol another manager in Boston to be scapegoated. Wonder how long before he finds a job elsewhere.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    lol another manager in Boston to be scapegoated. Wonder how long before he finds a job elsewhere.
    Why don't teams just hire a computer that can run the analytics and probabilities in 0.78 seconds and make decisions? Data input and keyboard skills would be the only requirements for an in-game manager.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Farrell was awful as a game manager, we were one year too late in firing him. Thank god he’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Just saying....if girardi goes also do the yanks go after him ?

Philadelphia Eagles New York Yankees Houston Rockets New York Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by NYYChase28 View Post
    Do you think that’s even a remote possibility? I’d trade managers with the yanks in a second

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Farrell was awful as a game manager, we were one year too late in firing him. Thank god he’s gone

Better players make for better managers:

1. Better players put managers in critical decision-making situations less often.
    2. Better players execute more often when the manager makes a critical decision.
    3. There is no way to determine if the alternative to a manager's decision would have led to a better outcome.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Better players make for better managers:

1. Better players put managers in critical decision-making situations less often.
    2. Better players execute more often when the manager makes a critical decision.
    3. There is no way to determine if the alternative to a manager's decision would have led to a better outcome.
    Right but better managers:

1) wouldn’t roster a clearly injured player in the playoffs
    2) Would know how to manage a bullpen
    3) wouldn’t try to change pitchers after a ball one to a batter

The list continues...

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Right but better managers:

1) wouldn’t roster a clearly injured player in the playoffs
    2) Would know how to manage a bullpen
    3) wouldn’t try to change pitchers after a ball one to a batter

The list continues...

Couldn’t roster a clearly injured player in the playoffs -- Roster's are typically determined by the GM and/or in consultation with trainers, etc.

Would know how to manage a bullpen -- Subjective and no way to substantiate. Fans of every team thinks the manager mismanages the BP.

Wouldn’t try to change pitchers after a ball one to a batter. -- I don't know the context, but I bet Tony LaRussa and other well-regarded managers have done this. Plus, as I pointed out, you cannot show evidence if the outcome would have been different if the move was not made.

You did not table any concrete reasons to substantiate your claim.
    I am that Daddy Cool

I've learned this about every fan base and every manager: Every fanbase believes their manager is a horrible in game manager. Every. One. Of. Them.

Ask Cubs' fans how they think of Maddon and they'll tell you all about how we barely won a W.S. last year and Maddon blew it and doesn't know what a bullpen in, and how dumb he is, and yadda, yadda, yadda. They all make mistakes. Nothing about the good he does, just the bad.

Can't say I know anything about Farrell as a Cubs' fan, but I'm starting to wonder if there's ever been a manager with good game management skills ever in the history of baseball.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I've learned this about every fan base and every manager: Every fanbase believes their manager is a horrible in game manager. Every. One. Of. Them.

Ask Cubs' fans how they think of Maddon and they'll tell you all about how we barely won a W.S. last year and Maddon blew it and doesn't know what a bullpen in, and how dumb he is, and yadda, yadda, yadda. They all make mistakes. Nothing about the good he does, just the bad.

Can't say I know anything about Farrell as a Cubs' fan, but I'm starting to wonder if there's ever been a manager with good game management skills ever in the history of baseball.
    agreed, and it's the exact same thing in basketball. i'll bet we can even find a group in san antonio that want popovich fired and patriot fans that think belichek needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Tito and Maddon the only managers I’m taking over joe G really

Yankees Farm System

Lol the people who haven’t watched Red Sox baseball for the past five years have made it very clear. Farrell is awful, even in the WS year people complained about him. Constant line up changes that never made sense, not resting starters before the playoffs, etc. Too bad our best replacement is now the Diamondbacks manager.

He ruined Steven Wright. He PINCH-RAN him, and Wright hurt his shoulder diving back into 2nd base. A guy who had a 3.01 era through 22 starts. Wright was probably our least athletic pitcher. Farrell is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    Lol the people who haven’t watched Red Sox baseball for the past five years have made it very clear. Farrell is awful, even in the WS year people complained about him. Constant line up changes that never made sense, not resting starters before the playoffs, etc. Too bad our best replacement is now the Diamondbacks manager.

He ruined Steven Wright. He PINCH-RAN him, and Wright hurt his shoulder diving back into 2nd base. A guy who had a 3.01 era through 22 starts. Wright was probably our least athletic pitcher. He’s incompetent.
    In addition to having Addison Reed and being afraid to use him... evident after he tried to come in a pull him mid at bat, forcing him to face the next batter against the Yankees.... and Absolutely Running Chris Sale into the ground this season..

These are just the blatant things... also to answer the other poster, it was Farrell’s call to put Nunez on the playoff roster, and after he was injured in his first at bat, he chose to call Chris Young to the roster and proceed to START him after leaving him off the roster entirely. It was also Farrell who couldn’t control his clubhouse and has allowed a complete **** show with David Price/Dustin Pedroia etc. This team adopted his attitude, and that included a huge lack of accountability. He’s mismanaged so many players which has caused a lot of frustration in the fan base.

My gut feeling is the Nunez thing is what got him fired. Apparently Dombrowski refused to state the reason he was fired, but said something along the lines of “no amount of team success would’ve prevented it”. I wonder if the team doctor either gets fired or it comes out that they advised against playing him... it’s complete speculation on my part, but putting a players safety on the line could definitely be cause for firing

Not a shot .... zilch
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Why don't teams just hire a computer that can run the analytics and probabilities in 0.78 seconds and make decisions? Data input and keyboard skills would be the only requirements for an in-game manager.
    Because baseball isn't a computer game.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast