Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New manager

Lots of rumors floating around out there.

Amaro Jr (just NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Showalter
    Scioscia

I'd vote for bring up the AAA manager. Dusty Wathan, he's been around most of the young players in LV.

Wathan was the first rumored front runner, but the Phillies haven't had much success promoting from within. Considering the whole idea of moving on from Mackanin was to pivot to contention mode, it probably doesn't make sense to hire a newbie like Wathan or Amaro. I'm looking at Scioscia and Farrell. Haven't heard of Showalter being available, but I'd be open to acquiring him, Bud Black, Walt Weiss, or Clint Hurdle too. All 6 of those are under contract - didn't stop the Cubs or Dodgers when they pursued decision makers.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

I don't really want a re-tread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Maybe we can find a college coach......... oh wait wrong sport. LOL

Quality managers have experience. Those without experience often "play" at being the manager like Sandberg. Better to get somebody who could be the manager for the next 10 years. That's probably not a newbie.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Farrell left Beantown....

At least put out an offer

Phillies taking a look at Cleveland's pitching coach Mickey Callaway according to Buster Olney. With how good the Indians pitchers have been lately, he's a guy I'd assuredly be happy with.

"Managerial/Coaching Career

Begins his fifth season as Major League Pitching Coach, his fifth season on the Major League staff and his eighth season of coaching in the Indians organization...Indians pitchers have led the league in strikeouts over each of the last three seasons for the first time since 1963-68...Indians hurlers have posted the 2nd-lowest ERA in the American League each of the last two campaigns (2015-16)...Oversaw a staff that set a Major League single-season record for strikeouts (1450) in 2014, posting a 3.56 ERA that ranked in the A.L.'s top half (6th) for a second straight campaign (3.82 ERA in 2013 was 7th in A.L.) and sat more than one full run below the 2012 figure (4.78) he inherited...In 2013,Tribe hurlers posted a 3.13 ERA after the All-Star break, 4th in MLB...Staff also recorded a then franchise-record 1379 strikeouts, 2nd-most in MLB ...Was the club's Minor League Pitching Coordinator in 2012...Was the Pitching Coach for the 2011 Kinston Indians...Made his coaching debut in 2010 as the Pitching Coach of the Lake County Captains."
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Definitely an interesting choice. He's considered the top pitching guru in the league, although Ray Searage gets more press.

I love the fact the dude's only in his early 40s too. Grow with the team. I like the focus on pitching too.

Official 2017-2018 Phillies off-season thread

New GMs, trades, 40 man roster and every other off-season talk goes here.

Have at it bros...

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Regarding a new GM iI would love Sciocia, Pharrell is good too.

- I love Ray Lewis.

Reports that the Marlins are looking to cut something like 50mil from next season's projected payroll. I think you see Stanton moved. If he's available do you want him? What type of package would it take? How much money do you think Marlins will cover of his remaining contract?

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I don't really want a re-tread.
    If you guys want to change things to make the forum better or more comfortable for you PM me.

- I love Ray Lewis.

The package for Stanton depends on how much of the contract the Marlins are willing to pick up. Assuming they mean to offload the whole thing, then he really won't cost much in terms of prospects. While there's surplus value in his deal, the opt out and structure add a ton of risk.

If the Marlins took on substantial salary, then you'd be looking at JPC, Hoskins, and a third noteworthy prospect like Sixto. Since that's unlikely, maybe something like Nick Williams straight up. It's even possible the Marlins would prefer four lesser prospects to give them an opportunity to profit.

Stanton isn't an easy fit for the Phillies since the problem areas are 3B, C, and SP. However, he's an obvious upgrade over Williams or Altherr and would look awfully nice adjacent to Hoskins in the lineup. If they look into acquiring him though, then I think they have to go pretty big this offseason - perhaps sign Darvish and make a pitch to Otani. A starting caliber catcher would be swell too. Don't hold your breath for those latter dominoes - the Phillies don't often compete for asian players.

I think we might not need Stanton he is injured most of the time, I'l take Machado over him TBH.

- I love Ray Lewis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast