Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

At some point Kershaw can't be GOAT keeping this up

I love Kershaw. But looking at it logically from a goat perspective, he has two MAJOR blemishes that cannot be ignored. His gigantic home vs away ERA difference and his 4.6 playoff ERA over a lot of starts.

You have to produce when called upon at some point in the biggest games of the season (playoffs)

He has time to right this wrong in his career but it's getting beyond the point of SSS now. Its a pattern of choking and severely underperforming in the biggest stage.

Truth

3. 10-07-2017, 10:39 AM
    Reason
    Stop taking jabs at each other and stick to the topic - Rush

True

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

5. 10-07-2017, 11:27 AM
    Reason

6. 10-07-2017, 11:32 AM
    Reason

7. 10-07-2017, 11:43 AM
    Reason

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    No jealousy involved. Just a bit strange that a guy so dominant in the regular season can't pitch the same when the pressure is on time after time.

It's cute that some Dodgers fans think that they are hated like they are the Jeter led Yankees though.
    It's a small sample size. I mean what, his entire postseason career adds up to half a season, maybe? What if he gets another 4 starts this postseason, gets 4 shutouts and all of a sudden he is above 500, his era is in the low 3s and he wins a world series? Is he the goat all of a sudden? No. He is on pace to be the goat now; no matter what happens in the postseason because his totality of his career is greater then a half season of starts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. 10-07-2017, 11:58 AM
    Reason

He got smacked around but kinda when the game was already in hand for LA.

Bottom line is Dodgers won, he was a part of it.

We'll see how he does in the next one.

11. 10-07-2017, 12:02 PM
    Reason

Indians Won and Kluber was part of it lol. Kershaw is the Goat in regular season, but postseason he's far from that. Don't get me wrong if i had to pick a pitcher for 1 game I'm taking Kluber then kershaw. But He needs to step up.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

He pitched well enough to win but I agree, he has to be better. He's shown glimpses of dominance in the post season but can't seem to make it consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    No jealousy involved. Just a bit strange that a guy so dominant in the regular season can't pitch the same when the pressure is on time after time.

It's cute that some Dodgers fans think that they are hated like they are the Jeter led Yankees though.
    Not that shocking. The three leaders for AL Cy young (Kluber, Sale, Severino) have all pitched god awful in the playoffs - worse than Kershaw. There are some guys that just don't do well in the postseason, there's no way you can really quantify that.

Bumgarner is a #2 starter on pretty much any playoff team and he's the greatest post season pitcher I've ever witnessed.

Guys like Yusmiero Petit are also beasts in the postseason but are garbage in the regular season. Some guys get tired out, some guys don't.

I remember when the Mets beat the Cubs in the 2015 playoffs and beat the crap out of Arrieta I believe it was twice. Arrieta had the lowest qualified ERA since Pedro or Gibson or somebody but the Mets still beat him, I attributed that to fatigue and I didn't realistically expect Arrieta to beat us just because of how he was being overworked.

I don't think Kershaw is much different but I do believe that since he was injured, a lot rides on Kershaw's legacy this postseason considering how he doesn't have the inning count compared to previous years.

You can easily attribute Sale's troubles over the past few months due to fatigue and being overworked, some guys just can't be stretched out like that. Sale threw the most innings in baseball, not surprising to see such dominant guys hit a brick wall.

Either way, Kershaw is still undoubtedly the best pitcher in the game (with maybe Scherzer being his competition) and is a certified hall of famer regardless of what he does in the postseason.

It's weird that everybody is jumping in this thread when he had a solid start yesterday, 6.1 of 4ER ball isn't terrible and by postseason measures, it's pretty good - especially considering the offense he was facing.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    Indians Won and Kluber was part of it lol. Kershaw is the Goat in regular season, but postseason he's far from that. Don't get me wrong if i had to pick a pitcher for 1 game I'm taking Kluber then kershaw. But He needs to step up.
    Kluber threw 2.2 of 6ER ball yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Not that shocking. The three leaders for AL Cy young (Kluber, Sale, Severino) have all pitched god awful in the playoffs - worse than Kershaw. There are some guys that just don't do well in the postseason, there's no way you can really quantify that.
    Becareful. Kluber has a great postseason track record. Kershaw does not. So don't think its fair to group them together.
    Last edited by prodigy; 10-07-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Yeah, besides yesterday, Kluber has been stellar in the post season.

The only guy that would start over bum in a playoff series is..... Wait nobody would.

Right now. If you had Kershaw and bum on your team and it is a must win playoff game. As a manager, you have to put bum out there.

Bum takes a back seat to a few in regular season. He takes a back seat to nobody in the playoffs currently.

To be fair, Kluber has a much smaller sample size. 37 innings of 3 ERA while Kershaw has 97 of 4.60.

Funny enough, take the Cardinals out of the equation and Kershaw's post season stats look a lot better but I don't like the cherry picking.

Kluber had a great run in his first postseason, my point is that it's realistic to expect him to regress. Until he gets to 100 or so innings like Kershaw, I can't reasonably say that I'd take him over Kershaw (in the postseason at least)

Let's see what they both do to finish off the postseason.

Hell, we can sit here and argue about Scherzer not being dominant or how Price sucks in the postseason but like I said before, there's no way you can really measure that.

BTW 6.1 IP and giving up 4 bombs is not a good start. Its horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    The only guy that would start over bum in a playoff series is..... Wait nobody would.

Right now. If you had Kershaw and bum on your team and it is a must win playoff game. As a manager, you have to put bum out there.

Bum takes a back seat to a few in regular season. He takes a back seat to nobody in the playoffs currently.
    He's taking a backseat this year considering how bad his team is.

Do you think it's realistic to expect the same performance from Bumgarner next time he's in the postseason?

The guy throws so many innings in the regular season and playoffs + he hurt his pitching shoulder, I'm not sure he could perform at the same level.

The thing with baseball is that you pay for future production, not past production. The argument that X isn't going in the playoffs because he was never good isn't a great argument simply because everybody knows the playoffs are a crapshoot.

But at the same time, you want the guy with the most experience out there so yeah, I would throw Bumgarner out there - I just wouldnt be surprised if he failed. It's simply because Bumgarner hasn't done it since 2014 (he had an OK 2016)

IMO the starter most likely to succeed in the playoffs (right now) is Justin Verlander, he has the experience and make up behind him. I have more faith In him than Kluber, Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, etc lol

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast