Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Stanton will not accept a trade to Boston or St. Louis, per sources. Thank god.

On SB Nation a guy posted something along the lines of this. "Whats getting lost in this push for power is that we don't really need to upgrade that much. Our position players played well below their projections, and we still won the 93 games and the division. We don't need to over do it."

I tend to agree with that... now. I was a big advocate for signing 2 big bats, getting Gordon, making this trade and making that trade etc. I think I was over reacting quite a bit. Yes we absolutely need a power bat. Whether its Martinez, Stanton or someone unforeseen. Now that i've gotten farther away from the let down, I think i'm starting to see things a bit more clearly. So for me I think keeping this core together at least for another season is best. If we can do that and add these areas of need.

Power bat
    Lefty reliever
    Platoon catcher

I think we will be just fine.

I do ultimately think we will end up signing Martinez. He's a great fit here IMO. The price tag just seems to be incredibly high. Hopefully he is knocked back down to earth. Even if we sign Martinez i'd like to add Morrison as well.

I think one of McGee, Minor, or Watson would be a great pick up. Not only them but also adding Seigrist on a prove it type deal as well.

Is Lucroy still kind of at that prove it point too? If so I think he'd be another low risk signing depending on the money.

I wish there was a way to get rid of Price but i'm not sure there is.

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    Stanton will not accept a trade to Boston or St. Louis, per sources. Thank god.
    This has not been reported or confirmed, it is all speculation at this point. Hereís the actual report...

Of course, Stantonís own preferences hold the final say in any deal. While itís far from certain, there are rumblings that Stanton is not inclined to approve a swap that would send him to the Cardinals or Red Sox, as Chad Jennings of the Boston Herald reports. If nothing else, anything less than a full blessing from Stanton with regard to a given organization would likely complicate any effort to finalize a deal.
    Usually, in these situations with guys with NTCís, they use the clause as a negotiating tool. Itís happened before where players will only accept a deal to a certain team if the acquiring team agreed to an extension or picking up a certain option. We will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    On SB Nation a guy posted something along the lines of this. "Whats getting lost in this push for power is that we don't really need to upgrade that much. Our position players played well below their projections, and we still won the 93 games and the division. We don't need to over do it."

I tend to agree with that... now. I was a big advocate for signing 2 big bats, getting Gordon, making this trade and making that trade etc. I think I was over reacting quite a bit. Yes we absolutely need a power bat. Whether its Martinez, Stanton or someone unforeseen. Now that i've gotten farther away from the let down, I think i'm starting to see things a bit more clearly. So for me I think keeping this core together at least for another season is best. If we can do that and add these areas of need.

Power bat
    Lefty reliever
    Platoon catcher

I think we will be just fine.

I do ultimately think we will end up signing Martinez. He's a great fit here IMO. The price tag just seems to be incredibly high. Hopefully he is knocked back down to earth. Even if we sign Martinez i'd like to add Morrison as well.

I think one of McGee, Minor, or Watson would be a great pick up. Not only them but also adding Seigrist on a prove it type deal as well.

Is Lucroy still kind of at that prove it point too? If so I think he'd be another low risk signing depending on the money.

I wish there was a way to get rid of Price but i'm not sure there is.
    We donít need to get rid of Price, we actually need Price to be healthy and pitch like the top of the rotation guy he has been in the past.

We need to add a middle of the order bat and we should be locked in on J.D. Martinez. The $200M price tag that was thrown around by Boras is a negotiation tactic, nobody is going to give him that. Ultimately, I think J.D. ends up signing for something a bit above of what Upton got. The deal will most likely fall in the $120-140M range depending on years and options.

I agree that we should get a legit lefty for our bullpen and Mike Minor is someone that certainly piques my interest quite a bit. Abad was also excellent against LHH last year and we have some internal options with Scott, Johnson, Elias and even Beeks.

As far as a platoon at C is concerned, Alex Avila would be my main target. Dude has always been a solid OBP guy who would slot in nicely at the bottom 3rd of our order.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Just watched NESN. Dombrowski said he wanted to add in quote "Not just a left handed reliever but a #1 left handed reliever". Said doesn't know whether it would be by FA or Trade. Mike Minor sounds like that guy who he is talking about.
    I think that you're tending to read too much into each statement. DD is pretty plainspoken about his wish list during the offseason -- this year 1B/DH and #1 LHRP happen to be on the hit list. I believe the LHRP statement is only about being the go-to LHP in the bullpen (as opposed to "the #1 LHRP on the market").

FWIW, the fuller context also mentioned converting depth-option guys (Johnson is out of options, Elias) into RP in ST. I don't view either as a #1 LHRP but it's worth noting that DD is willing to go in a lot of different directions to fill out the wish list.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of signing J.D. Martinez if we can get a decent contract -- maybe $115M/5yr that includes a $5M option for a $22M sixth year? The two reasons: his RHB provide better balance in the middle of the order and the flexibility of using him as an occasional LFer at Fenway without sacrificing too much. This obviously pushes Hanley to 1B most of the time (with some rest w/Martinez at LF or Swihart off the bench).

Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    This has not been reported or confirmed, it is all speculation at this point. Hereís the actual report...

Usually, in these situations with guys with NTCís, they use the clause as a negotiating tool. Itís happened before where players will only accept a deal to a certain team if the acquiring team agreed to an extension or picking up a certain option. We will see what happens.

We donít need to get rid of Price, we actually need Price to be healthy and pitch like the top of the rotation guy he has been in the past.

We need to add a middle of the order bat and we should be locked in on J.D. Martinez. The $200M price tag that was thrown around by Boras is a negotiation tactic, nobody is going to give him that. Ultimately, I think J.D. ends up signing for something a bit above of what Upton got. The deal will most likely fall in the $120-140M range depending on years and options.

I agree that we should get a legit lefty for our bullpen and Mike Minor is someone that certainly piques my interest quite a bit. Abad was also excellent against LHH last year and we have some internal options with Scott, Johnson, Elias and even Beeks.

As far as a platoon at C is concerned, Alex Avila would be my main target. Dude has always been a solid OBP guy who would slot in nicely at the bottom 3rd of our order.
    Chad Jennings of the Boston Herald reported it, and we should hope it's true.

Chad Jennings of the Boston Herald reported it, and we should hope it's true.
    Hereís the actual quote...

Of course, Stantonís own preferences hold the final say in any deal. While itís far from certain, there are rumblings that Stanton is not inclined to approve a swap that would send him to the Cardinals or Red Sox, as Chad Jennings of the Boston Herald reports. If nothing else, anything less than a full blessing from Stanton with regard to a given organization would likely complicate any effort to finalize a deal.
    Rumblings are not a certainty, like I said, itís all pure speculation at this point. Look at the Melo situation, he would only accept a trade to Cleveland or Houston yet somehow he ended up in Oklahoma City. All these reports should all be taken with a grain of salt until things actually play out.

Rob Bradford
    Rob Bradford
    @bradfo

16m
    Dombrowski said Red Sox not actively looking for 4th outfielder. Bryce Brentz will probably be the guy

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I think that you're tending to read too much into each statement. DD is pretty plainspoken about his wish list during the offseason -- this year 1B/DH and #1 LHRP happen to be on the hit list. I believe the LHRP statement is only about being the go-to LHP in the bullpen (as opposed to "the #1 LHRP on the market").

FWIW, the fuller context also mentioned converting depth-option guys (Johnson is out of options, Elias) into RP in ST. I don't view either as a #1 LHRP but it's worth noting that DD is willing to go in a lot of different directions to fill out the wish list.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of signing J.D. Martinez if we can get a decent contract -- maybe $115M/5yr that includes a $5M option for a $22M sixth year? The two reasons: his RHB provide better balance in the middle of the order and the flexibility of using him as an occasional LFer at Fenway without sacrificing too much. This obviously pushes Hanley to 1B most of the time (with some rest w/Martinez at LF or Swihart off the bench).
    I think Martinez gets $140-$150. Especially if the Cards are out on Stanton.

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Welcome to the J.D bandwagon bud. I think 5 years/$120M is the likely landing spot with a 6th year option that can push it up to $140M+. All in all, with the 6th year $5M buyout, he gets a guaranteed $125M for 5 years ($25M per).

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Rob Bradford
    Rob Bradford
    @bradfo

16m
    Dombrowski said Red Sox not actively looking for 4th outfielder. Bryce Brentz will probably be the guy
    Which I believe he deserved last year! I have always liked Brentz. I like the idea of giving Brentz, Swihart and even Castillo a chance before shelling out even more money to bench players.

Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    Which I believe he deserved last year! I have always liked Brentz. I like the idea of giving Brentz, Swihart and even Castillo a chance before shelling out even more money to bench players.
    Thereís no way in hell Castillo gets added to the 40-man again. The luxury tax implications his contract would have on our team would make it far too costly of a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Hereís the actual quote...

Rumblings are not a certainty, like I said, itís all pure speculation at this point. Look at the Melo situation, he would only accept a trade to Cleveland or Houston yet somehow he ended up in Oklahoma City. All these reports should all be taken with a grain of salt until things actually play out.
    Well the Red Sox also don't have the reigning MVP and Paul George lol

Well the Red Sox also don't have the reigning MVP and Paul George lol
    No, but they do have the 2016 MVP runner up, the 2016 CY Young, the 2017 CY Young (most likely), a former MVP and a really good young core to build around with Benintendi, Devers, Xander and others. If winning is his main goal, I donít see a reason why he wouldnít want to come to BOS because we have a really good team.

That being said, I hope he does us a favor and doesnít waive his clause to come here because his contract is ridiculously crazy.

Alex Speier
    Alex Speier
    @alexspeier

33m
    Dombrowski said concerns with pursuing a big deal this offseason include possibility of precluding extensions as well as future FA classes.

No Dave! Go with Martinez!

PAPI SMASH!

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast