Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 297
  1. #256
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16,741
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    I'd set a max at 5 years 130
    I would go 140-150


    PAPI SMASH!

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21,488
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    I would go 140-150
    You would go $30M per for J.D.? That’s ridiculous, j-bay. I don’t want him at that price.

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16,741
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    You would go $30M per for J.D.? That’s ridiculous, j-bay. I don’t want him at that price.
    Whoops forgot to mention 6 years. 6 years 140-150M. Hopefully we get him in his prime for at least his age 30-34 seasons.


    PAPI SMASH!

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16,741
    And before you say "Thats too much", the backup plan is Eric Hosmer. And i know NOBODY wants to go there.


    PAPI SMASH!

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21,488
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    And before you say "Thats too much", the backup plan is Eric Hosmer. And i know NOBODY wants to go there.
    5 years/$120M and a 6th year $20M option with a $5M buyout would be my offer to Martinez. That’s $125M guaranteed with the chance to earn $140M over 6 years.

    As far as Eric Hosmer goes, he shouldn’t even be in our plans. He’d be an atrocious signing. He doesn’t solve our “power problem”, he’s not a good defender at 1B and he is extremely inconsistent. Look at the value he has provided on a year to year basis:

    2011: 1.0 fWAR (128 games)
    2012: -1.7 fWAR (152 games)
    2013: 3.2 fWAR (159 games)
    2014: 0.0 fWAR (131 games)
    2015: 3.5 fWAR (158 games)
    2016: -0.7 fWAR (158 games)
    2017: 4.1 fWAR (162 games)

    There are better ways for us to get more “bang for our buck” production at 1B/DH for the amount of money Hosmer will most likely command. There are cheaper alternatives that won’t cost us 1) a draft pick 2) draft pool $ and 3) international bonus $. I would rather sign someone like Lucas Duda or even bring back Moreland and have him share time with Hanley at 1B.

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16,741
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    5 years/$120M and a 6th year $20M option with a $5M buyout would be my offer to Martinez. That’s $125M guaranteed with the chance to earn $140M over 6 years.

    As far as Eric Hosmer goes, he shouldn’t even be in our plans. He’d be an atrocious signing. He doesn’t solve our “power problem”, he’s not a good defender at 1B and he is extremely inconsistent. Look at the value he has provided on a year to year basis:

    2011: 1.0 fWAR (128 games)
    2012: -1.7 fWAR (152 games)
    2013: 3.2 fWAR (159 games)
    2014: 0.0 fWAR (131 games)
    2015: 3.5 fWAR (158 games)
    2016: -0.7 fWAR (158 games)
    2017: 4.1 fWAR (162 games)

    There are better ways for us to get more “bang for our buck” production at 1B/DH for the amount of money Hosmer will most likely command. There are cheaper alternatives that won’t cost us 1) a draft pick 2) draft pool $ and 3) international bonus $. I would rather sign someone like Lucas Duda or even bring back Moreland and have him share time with Hanley at 1B.
    Just preparing ourselves mentally. Don't be surprised if we fail to sign Martinez that we go the Hosmer route. Add in the fact his GF works for NESN. Its Martinez or Hosmer. It ain't 2018. Its not 2019.


    PAPI SMASH!

  7. #262
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    @BNightengale
    The J.D. Martinez asking price to teams at GM Meetings:
    Seven years, $210 million

    That ******
    Hell No

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21,488
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Just preparing ourselves mentally. Don't be surprised if we fail to sign Martinez that we go the Hosmer route. Add in the fact his GF works for NESN. Its Martinez or Hosmer. It ain't 2018. Its not 2019.
    Why are you acting like it’s a sure thing? There are other options, you really do fall in love with the “big names” every offseason. Remember when you wanted to go crazy on Josh Hamilton? If we’re going to lose a pick, the guy to do it on would be Carlos Santana.

    He’s an excellent defender at 1B, has always been a consistent OBP guy with good power, plus he’s a switch-hitter.

  9. #264
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    16,741
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Why are you acting like it’s a sure thing? There are other options, you really do fall in love with the “big names” every offseason. Remember when you wanted to go crazy on Josh Hamilton? If we’re going to lose a pick, the guy to do it on would be Carlos Santana.

    He’s an excellent defender at 1B, has always been a consistent OBP guy with good power, plus he’s a switch-hitter.
    Oh i think its happening. And not because i want Hosmer. I lost interest the moment i saw his GB stats. As for Hosmer i fear its going to happen. And it will be an ownership move. TV ratings were down this season 15-20 percent. We need Martinez, or we can only fear what will happen next


    PAPI SMASH!

  10. #265
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by CMon View Post
    I don't think Price is as bad as people make it out and I don't think we're too far off from being in the WS. One power bat, IMO, would increase almost every players numbers across the board because of the protection. You inject Stanton into this lineup and not only is he guaranteed to hit 50+ bombs a year in Fenway, I think you see Betts back around 30 HR, as well as Hanley.

    I don't believe in giving them a massive deal for Stanton because Boston will be taking on all the money. So I think that drastically hurts the return they'll get for him.

    I offer Bogaerts, Bradley Jr, Rodriguez and 1-2 prospects not named Groome. I think that's more than fair. You're getting a starting SS, gold glove center fielder, a starting pitcher with #2 potential and then a prospect.

    Resign Nunez to play SS until Chatham is ready, slide Betts to CF and Benintendi to RF so Stanton plays LF. I guess you could keep him in right but I think he'd do better in LF because of his size. In 4-6yrs when he slows down move him to DH. I'd love to move Pedroia but don't see that happening yet. Sign Napoli to an incentive based deal for 1B. With Stanton on board, a full season of Devers and hopefully Betts/Ramirez rebounding a bit, we won't need a ton from 1B. But if Travis isn't traded for Stanton I'd like to see him get some time.


    1-Nunez SS
    2-Benintendi LF/RF
    3-Betts CF
    4-Stanton LF/RF
    5-Devers 3B
    6-Pedroia 2B
    7-Ramirez DH
    8-Napoli 1B
    9-Vasquez C
    Bench-Hernandez(2B/SS), Leon, Marrero, Travis, Young, Davis, Holt

    1-Sale
    2-Price
    3-Pomeranz
    4-Porcello
    5-Wright

    I do think another starter will need to be signed because of Price and Wrights injury history. I'd love a veteran who wouldn't cost a fortune like Vargas or Garza but don't see that happening.

    As for relief pitchers, I'd bring back Reed.

    Reed
    Thornburg
    Smith
    Maddox
    Workman
    Scott
    Ross Jr.
    Kimbrel


    I think that's a very realistic roster and I think it would clearly be the favorites in the East. A healthy Price with Stanton added and I think we'd be the favorites in the AL IMO.
    .
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 11-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.

  11. #266
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    469
    Imo i think they should have nunez at second idk about marrero /or holt or anyone else then if Bogaerts gets traded for Stanton .. i would then sign Zack Cozart an possibly go for one more number three starter somewhere with upside ..i would like to see a package for Stanton in Bogaerts/E-rod,JBJ and a prospect not Groome possibly Chavis because he is blocked by Devers

  12. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21,488
    Bogaerts, Bradley, E-Rod and 1-2 prospects for Stanton? Sweet baby jesus.

  13. #268
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    290
    i looked a little bit. does anybody know if jay bruce plays a nice first base. hes played there a little bit in the past and i think he could be had on a pretty good 2-3 year contract. the thing i like about him more than others is that hes had very onsistent power numbers, putting up 30+ hr in 6 years and 20+ in all but 2. 1 he was injured for. Anybody think its a posibility?

  14. #269
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stonington CT
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Bogaerts, Bradley, E-Rod and 1-2 prospects for Stanton? Sweet baby jesus.
    Yet they didn't want to give up to much lol

  15. #270
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    166
    I posted about this yesterday but I’ll condense it a little.

    Stay away from;
    Stanton
    Martinez
    Hosmer
    Santana

    Target:
    Logan Morrison
    Jay Bruce

    Trade JBJ for Jose Abreu and Ian Kinsler in a 3 team deal. Opinions?

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •