Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Red Sox Offseason Discussion/News/Rumor Thread

The series isn't over but after 2 games, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what this team needs. Now before we go over needs lets go over a few things first.

1.NO MORE STARTING PITCHING. At least big name starters. We have 4 pitchers who in the last 2 years who have won 15 plus games. We don't need another one. We need to let those 4 figure it out.

2.Here is the one most Sox fans are talking about. John Farrell. Might not be as easy to fire him. There are not a lot of choices. If I had to guess a leader for the job, i would say Brad Ausmus.

3.There are fans that want Hanley gone. The problem is the hitters market is very weak this year. I would only trade him if we acquire another power hitter in his place, which means we would have to get 2 power hitters.

Now we get to the needs.

1.Power Hitter. And there are not a lot of the market. JD Martinez is the best on the market, but Eric Hosmer might be the better fit.

2.Resign Nunez. Pedroia isn't going to play every game, so we need a backup

3.A hitting Catcher. I like Leon and CV, but they leave a black hole in our lineup. We need at least one Catcher who can hit.

4.Another bullpen arm. Reed is leaving and we don't know what kind of shape Thornburg is in.

PAPI SMASH!

This team needs someone with a sack of nuts who can step up in a big game. I've never seen a more talented team get their nuts kicked into their stomachs two years in a row...

We don't need more talent. We need grit and balls and someone who can hit a HR

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    1.Power Hitter. And there are not a lot of the market. JD Martinez is the best on the market, but Eric Hosmer might be the better fit.

2.Resign Nunez. Pedroia isn't going to play every game, so we need a backup

3.A hitting Catcher. I like Leon and CV, but they leave a black hole in our lineup. We need at least one Catcher who can hit.

4.Another bullpen arm. Reed is leaving and we don't know what kind of shape Thornburg is in.
    Clearly the team needs a power hitter somewhere. I think Betts' downturn has something to do with the lack of a consistent threat behind him. Likewise, Benintendi could be better with that help.

Re-signing Nunez makes some sense. The question is whether or not he's outplayed what we could pay him. The Red Sox would mostly be looking at him as a super utility guy but he's likely to get every day money from somewhere. I'd like to land him but I think the Sox can only offer Young's money.

The hitting catcher thing... Vazquez hit .290/.330/.404. That's hardly a black hole. For one point this season he was the most consistent late/clutch hitter in the lineup. Despite the lack of power, he's hit very well for a catcher. Disagree on this point quite a bit.

Personally, I doubt that I'd do much in the RP market. Pick up a few lottery tickets but that's about it. The BP was perhaps the only consistent part of the roster this year. This group could probably most benefit from a manager with a better plan so I'd concentrate on that first, then mix-and-match.

Interesting thing to watch here. Hosmer has a girlfriend who works in Boston. His Girlfriend is Kacie McDonnell of NESN.

PAPI SMASH!

Agree with some points but also disagree with a lot.

1. I stay away from SP with the possible exception of a low risk high reward type for depth. Other then that you have to let Sale, Pomeranz, Porcello and Price sort the rotation out and if that doesnt work start moving the pieces that dont work.

2. Farrell has to go in favor of a manager who has a better and more mapped out plan for handle every aspect of this roster from the rotation to the bullpen to the batting order and beyond. It was blatantly obvious that Chris Sale was worn down in September so no excuse for not finding him spots to take an extra rest day and be fresh for October.

3. We dont need anymore RP and especially not at the expense of trading prospects.

4. What we do need is a power bat and preferably at 1B. I would like to see the cost on Carlos Santana as a solution here. Gets on base and provides some pop and flexibility to the lineup. JD Martinez is another option but probably much more expensive and would be more of an OF/DH option.

Bottomline for the offseason is that we can have a defense first catcher, defense first CF and a defense first 1B like Moreland in the lineup. The power has to come from somewhere to protect Betts/Benintendi and get them some better pitches to hit. I think Carlos Santana is the better option to do that. I'd also like to see the RedSox conserve some payroll so that IF David Price has a big year next season and decides to opt out we could make a serious run at Bryce Harper and at least ensure that if he goes tot he Yankees that it will be on a contract that will one day come back to haunt them.

Blood, Sweat and Beards!!!!!

Power! Thatís all we need. Power bats and Power arms are what gets you Wís in todayís game. The Long ball left for a little while. Now itís back in full force. We need to Add 2 not one but TWO HR threats in the middle of our line up. Trade Bogaerts, Bradley and Rodriguez for Stanton but marlins eat some $ and sign Hosmer

Nunez
    Benintendi
    Betts
    Stanton
    Hosmer
    Ramirez
    Pedroia
    Devers
    Leon/Vazquez

The 2 guys i would go after are Hosmer and Martinez. Would choose Hosmer because then 1B is set for at least the next 5 years.

PAPI SMASH!

Hm, Hosmer is the early money. Back-to-back 25HR seasons and coming into his age-28 season. Okay, that makes sense. Except that he's 20 Rdrs over 7 seasons at 1B. Where does this reputation come from exactly? That's pretty bad. I might take Duda as an alternative on a shorter, cheaper deal. His power has been slightly better (30HR vs 25HR) and his defense has been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Hm, Hosmer is the early money. Back-to-back 25HR seasons and coming into his age-28 season. Okay, that makes sense. Except that he's 20 Rdrs over 7 seasons at 1B. Where does this reputation come from exactly? That's pretty bad. I might take Duda as an alternative on a shorter, cheaper deal. His power has been slightly better (30HR vs 25HR) and his defense has been much better.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...ost_overrated/

So he is an avg 1B at defense. I think Hosmer could improve power wise at Fenway. He plays in one of the worse HR parks in baseball.

PAPI SMASH!

Get a new batting coach, a lot cheaper...
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Other than trying to resign guys like Nunez, Reed, and Young. Wright will be back, same with Thornburg, have Beeks in AAA

My only answer here is Carlos Santana. It so obvious and a perfect fit. Switch hitter, power hitter, good walk and k rates, decent contact, and if he has a good contact year then he is a real dangerous bat.

Benintendi
    Pedroia
    Betts
    Santana
    Devers
    Ramirez
    JBJ
    Bogaerts
    Vazquez
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Other than trying to resign guys like Nunez, Reed, and Young. Wright will be back, same with Thornburg, have Beeks in AAA

My only answer here is Carlos Santana. It so obvious and a perfect fit. Switch hitter, power hitter, good walk and k rates, decent contact, and if he has a good contact year then he is a real dangerous bat.

Benintendi
    Pedroia
    Betts
    Santana
    Devers
    Ramirez
    JBJ
    Bogaerts
    Vazquez
    We already got the iffy contact, power hitter in Hanley. We need a guarentee not a gamble.

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    We already got the iffy contact, power hitter in Hanley. We need a guarentee not a gamble.
    No such thing and what? Carlos Santana has been far better than Hanley over the last three years.

Break the bank for a player like Hosmer... no thanks that is a contract someone will regret
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

I'd look to sign Hosmer as a must. He's a leader, something this team lacks. I'd look to move pedey, bogey, bradley if you can obtain a power bat. Not likely, but I don't see those guys having futures here.

[CENTER]Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast