Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Santana also plays 1B, which we need, and is a switch-hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Santana also plays 1B, which we need, and is a switch-hitter.
    We technically only have one spot left, unless we trade Jackie. Like i said we arn't getting past the 1st round with Carlos Santana as our primary hitter.

PAPI SMASH!

I wouldn't be shocked if Bradley was a piece included in a Stanton trade. Bradley is also a Boras client, and would be tough to lock up. We need to focus on Betts and Benni over Bogaerts and Bradley (both represented by Boras). Bradley is also set to make some decent money in arbitration, so Stanton's contract wouldn't hurt as bad for next yr if we were to acquire him. I have a feeling we may trade Bradley regardless, and sign JD or trade for Stanton, have one of them play LF, and move Benni to CF. We are gonna try and go hard after Santana now, and have him and Hanley split DH/1B duties. Then make a hard push for JD or Stanton during/after the winter meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    I think they would like to get 2 power bats, and since Santana is not represented by Boras, I think the sox believe they can get him quicker and for cheaper. Getting Santana first can help them concentrate on JD Martinez or Stanton later in the off season.
    The Red Sox are not going to sign two power bats -- whether FA or trade. With arb cases they're already going to settle over the luxury tax and two bats would put them in the highest end of the new tiered luxury tax bracket. Not only that, there is not a lot of money coming off the books making it almost impossible to retain any of the young core beyond their arb years if you commit to two $20M+/yr players this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    We technically only have one spot left, unless we trade Jackie. Like i said we arn't getting past the 1st round with Carlos Santana as our primary hitter.
    If Betts hit like 2016, Hanley and Bogaerts didn't play hurt, and Devers played a full year at 3B you might have entered this offseason thinking "if we could only land a complementary power bat like Santana..." The Sox may have a better shot with him than you give them credit for. IMO the ALDS was more marked by the disastrous starts and pitching decisions than the offense.

Within the next 2 yrs we will be having Hanley, Sandoval, and very likely Price opting out saving us approximately 75 million. I see us trading Jackie Bradley, and we probably won't resign Bogaerts for what Boras will want. We will have arb yrs for Betts and Bogaerts, but with Jackie gone we would not have to worry about his

Wow, Stanton and Gordon...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    The Red Sox are not going to sign two power bats -- whether FA or trade. With arb cases they're already going to settle over the luxury tax and two bats would put them in the highest end of the new tiered luxury tax bracket. Not only that, there is not a lot of money coming off the books making it almost impossible to retain any of the young core beyond their arb years if you commit to two $20M+/yr players this offseason.

If Betts hit like 2016, Hanley and Bogaerts didn't play hurt, and Devers played a full year at 3B you might have entered this offseason thinking "if we could only land a complementary power bat like Santana..." The Sox may have a better shot with him than you give them credit for. IMO the ALDS was more marked by the disastrous starts and pitching decisions than the offense.
    Too many what ifs. Like i said i would ok with Santana if we had that guy, but we don't.

PAPI SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    Within the next 2 yrs we will be having Hanley, Sandoval, and very likely Price opting out saving us approximately 75 million. I see us trading Jackie Bradley, and we probably won't resign Bogaerts for what Boras will want. We will have arb yrs for Betts and Bogaerts, but with Jackie gone we would not have to worry about his
    Okay, let's play that out.

2017 Projected Payroll $201M
    Plus Martinez/Stanton $25M
    Plus second bat $20M
    Plus LHRP $5M
    Less Bradley $6M
    Adjusted 2018 Payroll $245M

2019 FA (Pomeranz, Kelly, Kimbrel) $27M
    SP FA $14M (No, this will not be Pomeranz at this rate -- you're in the second tier)
    Re-sign Kimbrell $40M/3yr
    * Replace Kelly from within
    Arbitration adjustments +$15M
    Adjusted 2019 Payroll $260M

2020 FA (Bogaerts, Castillo, Holt, Porcello, Price, Ramirez, Sale, Sandoval) $95M
    Net payroll: $165M

Obviously this is just a guess but you're looking at being in the top luxury tax bracket for back-to-back seasons just trying to keep the current roster together. (Note: in addition to the tax, their first round draft position drops 10 slots and I believe they lose IFA money). Well, except for losing Pomeranz after this coming season. I guess you've got to hope that Rodriguez finally puts together a full season and proves a capable 2/3 type.

The next challenge is that you replace Price (who opts out only if he's been pitching really well), Porcello, and Sale in the same offseason. The luxury tax may not be meaningful at this point but... you've got less than $40M to stay under the luxury tax for the first time and reset the tax penalties. You might as well do it -- you're not going to replace that much talents in a single offseason. At best you hope to re-sign Sale and sneak in just under the luxury tax threshold on his salary alone and pray that Groome/Rodriguez are reasonable imitations of 2/3 guys, Wright holds down #4, and Beeks or another arm (Houck, Mata, Shawaryn) makes great strides over the next year to be legitimately in the conversation.

And somewhere in the midst of this we're extending Betts and Benintendi? That seems pretty unlikely.

^^^ On a side note, one of the wise things that Theo did as GM was to stagger the expiring contracts so that the Red Sox were rarely making multiple decisions on big name contracts. He would not be staring down the barrel of the gun at replacing Pomeranz, Porcello, Price, and Sale in the course of a calendar year. You do that only if your intention is to win RIGHT NOW rather than winning over and over.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920