Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Atlanta Braves 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

This thread is for rumors, ideas and news about the off-season.

It looks like (whoever the GM is) should focus on the bullpen and trying to trade at least 1 of Kemp and Markakis to open up a spot for Acuna.

I'm not sure if we are going to accept Dickey's option for 2018 or go to the market for a another veteran starter, we have a bunch of options for the rotation but it will be smart to assume that some of them wont be good enough to average 5+ innings per game.

Third baseman is another area that can be upgraded but Camargo was too good to not give him a chance, he was truly consistent every month and was a very good defender at the hot corner. If I was the GM I will invest in quality bullpen pieces, at least 2, trade Kemp and Markakis (eat all, the contract if neccesary) give Acuna a shot to win a spot and try to get another OF building block using the surplus in the rotation i.e. Folty, Sims, Teheran.

So this is how our roster stands right now

Signed (Total - 72.45M)
    Code:
    Freddie Freeman 1B - 21M
    Matt Kemp OF - 19.25M
    Nick Markakis OF - 11M
    Julio Teheran SP - 8M
    Jim Johnson RP - 5M
    Ender Inciarte OF - 4.7M
    Kurt Suzuki C - 3.5M
    Options
    Code:
    R.A. Dickey SP - 8M (Team - 500k)
    Tyler Flowers C - 4M (Team - 300K)
    Arb - Last years contract
    Code:
    Matt Adams 1B - 2.8M
    Arodys Vizcaino RP - 1.55M
    Ian Krol RP - 900k
    Jace Peterson IF/OF - 555k
    Danny Santana OF - 545k
    Dan Winkler RP - 545k
    Mike Foltynewicz SP - 544k
    Pre-Arb
    Code:
    Adonis Garcia 3B
    Dansby Swanson SS
    Mauricio Cabrera RP
    Jose Ramirez RP
    Micah Johnson OF
    More to add and will edit later, have to leave haha

I think it's safe to say, we will pick up Flowers option. Outside of that the Braves could go in several different directions and I think it'll be hard to say which until we get a GM in place. Our job opening should be a very desirable one, however we have possible penalties coming from the Copy scandal. With Harts comment that "He doesn't think we'll loose any players", I think he knows exactly what Copy did and didn't do! I also think that's promising in the search for a new GM. However it may take us out of the race for key F/A. And may make us take a more cautious approach to the season.

Beldugo, you should stick this thread and unstick the regular season games thread. I would do it but I stepped down from my mod position recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Beldugo, you should stick this thread and unstick the regular season games thread. I would do it but I stepped down from my mod position recently.
    Done.

You think the Braves should get a third baseman this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Done.

You think the Braves should get a third baseman this offseason?
    Nice job!

I'm kind of torn on that. I would be absolutely fine if they decide to sing Moustakas. I think he would fit well on our roster and he just had a really big year and would make our lineup really really good. On the other hand, maybe that money should be spent on a front of the line pitcher.

Would you rather have Arrietta or Moustakas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    So this is how our roster stands right now

Signed (Total - 72.45M)
    Code:
    Freddie Freeman 1B - 21M
    Matt Kemp OF - 19.25M
    Nick Markakis OF - 11M
    Julio Teheran SP - 8M
    Jim Johnson RP - 5M
    Ender Inciarte OF - 4.7M
    Kurt Suzuki C - 3.5M
    Options
    Code:
    R.A. Dickey SP - 8M (Team - 500k)
    Tyler Flowers C - 4M (Team - 300K)
    Arb - Last years contract
    Code:
    Matt Adams 1B - 2.8M
    Arodys Vizcaino RP - 1.55M
    Ian Krol RP - 900k
    Jace Peterson IF/OF - 555k
    Danny Santana OF - 545k
    Dan Winkler RP - 545k
    Mike Foltynewicz SP - 544k
    Pre-Arb
    Code:
    Adonis Garcia 3B
    Dansby Swanson SS
    Mauricio Cabrera RP
    Jose Ramirez RP
    Micah Johnson OF
    More to add and will edit later, have to leave haha
    Arb projections are out at MLB trade Rumors.

Matt Adams (5.033) $4.6MM
    Arodys Vizcaino (4.168) $3.7MM
    Ian Krol (3.149) $1.3MM
    Danny Santana (3.111) $1.1MM
    Sam Freeman (3.067) $1.2MM
    Jace Peterson (3.024) $1.1MM
    Danny Winkler (3.000) $800K
    Mike Foltynewicz (2.163) $2.7MM

I see us releasing Krol and probably Santana, Adams is a bit expensive at 4.6MM but I think we'll keep him. So, if the projections are right we're at roughly 78.5MM right now

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Nice job!

I'm kind of torn on that. I would be absolutely fine if they decide to sing Moustakas. I think he would fit well on our roster and he just had a really big year and would make our lineup really really good. On the other hand, maybe that money should be spent on a front of the line pitcher.

Would you rather have Arrietta or Moustakas?
    That's a tough one, Arrieta is more risky and probably expensive, so I'll go with Moose here. He's a great power hitter but a low OBP guy, at this point in his career a slightly below average defender and terrible baserunner, he's kinda overrated I guess. Won't sign any.

Arb projections are out at MLB trade Rumors.

Matt Adams (5.033) $4.6MM
    Arodys Vizcaino (4.168) $3.7MM
    Ian Krol (3.149) $1.3MM
    Danny Santana (3.111) $1.1MM
    Sam Freeman (3.067) $1.2MM
    Jace Peterson (3.024) $1.1MM
    Danny Winkler (3.000) $800K
    Mike Foltynewicz (2.163) $2.7MM

I see us releasing Krol and probably Santana, Adams is a bit expensive at 4.6MM but I think we'll keep him. So, if the projections are right we're at roughly 78.5MM right now
    How much would that leave us roughly in free agency? It's hard to tell I guess since Liberty Media has been low balling the money for a long time but they've said they're willing to pony up for a contender, right?

That's a tough one, Arrieta is more risky and probably expensive, so I'll go with Moose here. He's a great power hitter but a low OBP guy, at this point in his career a slightly below average defender and terrible baserunner, he's kinda overrated I guess. Won't sign any.
    I'd like Moustakas on a 4 year contract at around $80 million if we could get him at that myself. I'm guessing he'll be 5 years over $100 million though to someone like the Yankees.

I image if somehow Dayton Moore does come to Atlanta that he would want to pursue Moustakas. It would make too much sense.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I image if somehow Dayton Moore does come to Atlanta that he would want to pursue Moustakas. It would make too much sense.
    I can see that! However I'm not liking the rumored price tag listed above for him. I know that FA prices are usually inflated with the rare steal. However I'm hoping the Braves don't bight unless Mike's market goes the way of Edwin Encarnacion's did last year. And actually a little better, I think Mike unless his defense improves dramatically, is headed to DH in a few years. So if Edwin got 3/60 with a club option for a 4th, I'm hoping the Braves can sign Mike to a 3/54 with a club option for a 4th. Although Mike is younger, Edwin was coming off a better year. Some where between Edwin and Justin Tuner like contract for Mike is what I ultimately want 4/64 sounds about right to me. By the way Iblisted Edwin because I believe Mike will be a DH in the near future and the Braves will have to move him befor that contract runs out.

In 3 years the DH maybe on the NL. If it were to happen this year Kemps value would go up.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck.mcmillan View Post
    In 3 years the DH maybe on the NL. If it were to happen this year Kemps value would go up.
    Idk, that's yet to be determined, but possible. But Kemp is exactly the point, everyone saw his defense regressing ( not that it was great to start with) and he'd eventually become a liability in the field. Mike is not as bad off imho, however he could be headed that way. I don't want another big money bad defensive player, unless his offense significantly out weighs it and it's on a short term team friendly contract. All that is a lot to ask for, however it is how I'd want it.

Speaking of free agency in general......

With the way Camargo played ( although regression is extremely possible) unless I'm getting a super star or a team friendly contract, I'm not willing to pony up at this point. Im more likely to spend big on one pitcher (Darvish since we likely will be banned from signing Otani, if not he becomes the guy) and go with what we have at 3B. Rounding out the rotation with JT, Foltzy, Newcomb, and Gohara. If we don't loose Maitan, I'm betting he's our 3B man two years from now and I wouldn't want him blocked, by someone who's aging on bad contract. While I've shared my thoughts in the past that Maitan may eventually end up at 1rst, for now 3B looks like the move.

Bowman tweeted Walt Weiss is a candidate to become the Braves bench coach. Eddie Perez and Chuck Hernandez could also be replaced.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State