Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Norman Powell agrees to 4 year $42 million extension

I think we got great value.. Imo Powells going to average like 14 ppg this season..

Not sure what the maximum value a player in his situation could sign for to assess the value of the deal, but it is definitely nice knowing he is here for 4 more years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Not sure what the maximum value a player in his situation could sign for to assess the value of the deal, but it is definitely nice knowing he is here for 4 more years at least.
    I think he would be eligible for 25% of the cap. So somewhere in the $26m neighborhood.

It's tough to say, about this deal. Could go either way. If he plays to his potential, it would be a great deal. At least it's done and out of the way and won't be a distraction. Cap implications should be minimal.

I'm calling it. This will go down as one of Masai's best moves.

This could be a steal. I'm surprised Powell signed this deal.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Wow that's great value. Surprised he signed.

If he doesn't improve ever again and this is who he is, that still might be underpaying him a little.

This is almost 10x what he was making before, and he's now set for life. I'm not surprised he took it -- if he explodes into a superstar, it will happen in next 2-4 years, and then he'll sign a mega deal. If he stinks it up this season, he's still got 42M going his way.

Win-win.

He could turn into a really special player, and I'm very glad to see him sticking around.

I am shocked by this deal and i love it. Makes sense for both parties. He is making the same money tucker is and he is 10X the offensive contributor. He is a different type of defender but likely has a similar impact on that side of the ball as well. He is going into the season knowing he will have a huge role of the bench and im guessing he's prepared for it. I dont expect much more than 11ppg from him this season but his real contribution will seen in the playoffs once more.

Powell + Ibaka > Ross + Anzejs Pasecniks

great deal. very happy with this

****ing amazing deal

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I am shocked by this deal and i love it. Makes sense for both parties. He is making the same money tucker is and he is 10X the offensive contributor. He is a different type of defender but likely has a similar impact on that side of the ball as well. He is going into the season knowing he will have a huge role of the bench and im guessing he's prepared for it. I dont expect much more than 11ppg from him this season but his real contribution will seen in the playoffs once more.

Powell + Ibaka > Ross + Anzejs Pasecniks
    I think he could be a 6th man of the year candidate. I have him averaging like 13 ppg. He's going to have so many looks on that 2nd unit

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I think he would be eligible for 25% of the cap. So somewhere in the $26m neighborhood.

It's tough to say, about this deal. Could go either way. If he plays to his potential, it would be a great deal. At least it's done and out of the way and won't be a distraction. Cap implications should be minimal.
    I'd have to look at the rules and really don't want to .

Just read this bit from Leiwenberg:

The deal – made official on Sunday – is the maximum Powell was eligible for under the new collective bargaining agreement and one that would at least appear to be on the team friendly side. Toronto couldn’t have offered the third-year guard more even if it wanted to, not until next summer when he would have hit the open market as a restricted free agent and had a chance to truly cash in.

Playing out the final year of his rookie contract would have been a gamble, to be sure, a risk/reward scenario. Nine months is more than enough time for a player’s value to swing drastically, in either direction, depending on performance and health. However, in a league that covets two-way wings more than ever before, it’s reasonable to imagine he might have found himself in high demand, especially if he ends up breaking out in his expanded role this season, as many are predicting.
    I gather he would probably be able to sign for up to 25% of the cap had he waiting until next year to sign a contract, but extending early puts a stricter cap one what can be offered?

is the maximum Powell was eligible for under the new collective bargaining agreement
    OK, so not much of a steal, he got the max allowed .

I really like him, and find him one of the few exciting players on this team -- so don't get me wrong when I say this but.. I think we need to temper the expectations a bit. He's still been wildly inconsistent, and is playing within a system in which he will get very few opportunities to blow up into a star... if he's the first man off the bench in a 6th man role, how many touches will he get with Lowry, Demar, and Ibaka on the floor?

If he plays 11-13mpg off the bench, $10M+ a year is way too much for what other players got this year. We're not in the last year's bubble where Mozgov gets $15M. Miles, Tucker, Korver, Livingston, Gay, all got quite a bit less than Powell this year. If he develops into a solid bench player, this is at best a fair deal.

For this to be a steal, he needs to hit close to the peak of his potential in an environment that will not encourage it. Let's hope he somehow does, and we can have him as the future SG of the team, and have him replace Demar. Now, *that* would be a steal at $10M.

Anyway, kudos to him, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him here long-term.

I'd have to look at the rules and really don't want to .

Just read this bit from Leiwenberg:

I gather he would probably be able to sign for up to 25% of the cap had he waiting until next year to sign a contract, but extending early puts a stricter cap one what can be offered?
    Who knows? The rules say specifically that a player with 0-6 years of service is eligible to make 25% of the team's cap.

Maximum individual contracts under the CBA

The maximum amount of money a player can sign for is based on the number of years that player has played and the total of the salary cap. The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $25,500,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (projected for 2017–18), whichever is greater. For a player with 7–9 years of experience, the maximum is $30,600,000 or 30% of the cap, and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $35,700,000 or 35% of the cap.[13] There is an exception to this rule: a player is able to sign a contract for 105% of his previous contract, even if the new contract is higher than the league limit.[14]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast