Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Preseason Game Thread

kinda up late, but I can't wait till we play a real nba team. hard to judge anything against that level of competition.

well exum left with a messed up shoulder. (not a real diagnosis, but then i'm not a real doctor). q said something about it not looking good. with the way exum sprinted into the lockerroom after the fall, and coach's blunt negative assessment, it might be awhile before we get to kick the tires on a 'new and improved' exum.

it's a shame.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Team is starting to come together. I REALLY like our second unit. I think our second team can be the best bench unit in the NBA. This is how I would define the second unit...

PG - Exum
    SG - Mitchell
    SF - Burks
    PF - Jerebko
    C - Udoh

Burks has been GREAT. Shooting well, passing really well, and playing good all around. Mitchell has not been great in the preseason, but he is young and his energy will help regardless. Exum has looked awesome. He gets into the lane at will and is making the right pass. He has gotten his teammates some very easy shots. Jerebko can stretch the floor. Udoh can defend, rebound, and pass. Will fit in with this group very well.

I have not been very excited about our starters. Gobert and Hood have looked great, so I am not worried about them. Ingles will be fine. With Rubio's lack of shooting, I think he would be better coming off the bench. I have really liked Exum's play so far, as as long as he is healthy, I would like to see Exum move to the starting lineup and Rubio move to the second team.

Favors has looked healthy, but he is Gobert are too similar of players.In addition. Udoh and looked good at Center and Bradley looks like a capable 3rd string center. Last, Jerebko could play the 5 in small ball lineups. So we have way to many players to play Center in a league where the center has lost alot of value. We need to find a team who needs a starting center and trade Favors ASAP.

his shoulder is separated. the question right now is if he has surgery. if he does he probably misses the whole year. He doesn't he comes back in 6ish weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    his shoulder is separated. the question right now is if he has surgery. if he does he probably misses the whole year. He doesn't he comes back in 6ish weeks.
    I forget, in the NBA, if a player is out for the year, do they still count as a roster spot? We have 16 players and we need to cut it to 15. Neto is needed if Exum is out. Bolomboy has been really good so far this preseasonn and we need a long term answer at PF still, so it makes sense to keep him. Royce Oneal has a 3 year contract and they seem to be high on him. So how do we handle getting the 16 in 15 spots?

Exum has a bad injury. He could miss most of the season. I feel terrible for the kid. He has worked hard this offseason. This will likely cost Exum a lot of money. Unfortunately this makes resigning him a lot more complicated.

I'm so tired of these injuries but I'm trying to stay positive. Perhaps this could end up being a positive thing. Rubio may end up staying long term as a result of this. Mitchell should get even more minutes. Burks looks good. There is a chance Burks is and always will be better than Exum anyway. Now he will not have the development of Exum in the way.

Hood has impressed me so far. His shot looks a lot more confident.

Rubio's shooting so far can only get better. Love his hands on defense.

There is a slim chance that Alec Burks is the guy who can pick up the scoring load.

Although Favors does look better, he still looks stiff to me. I'm not expecting a ton.

I expect Rudy's scoring average to increase. I can see him averaging 16 per game.

I don't know if I have ever been more impressed with a Jazz rookie then Mitchell. He has just done everything that you could want from him at this point. His passing is good, his shoot looks good, he can run a pick and roll, and he can get his shot when he wants. Its preseason and we need to see this in a real game, but I would be mildly shocked if Mitchell doesn't start for us this year especially if Jingles can't start playing better.

btw Rudy had 29 points in 33 minutes. Hood had a neck strain. man we need him to stay healthy. I didn't like it when we have Udoh and another big out there tonight. I hope that gets better. Rubio is going to be intersting this year. teams are daring him to score and he hasn't been terrible. Only 2/8 tonight and if that doesn't improve he will be that wide open all year. Burks couldn't buy a bucket, but this was the first game that has happened.

Ya, at this point I say let Dante walk if he is asking for more than minimum salary. He has potential, but you can't drain resources on a someone that gets hurt every time he plays. I would love to keep him, but like I said, anything more than minimum is a nope for me. Hopefully Mitchell can stay healthy, I've never seen a rookie like this for Utah either, and he excites me this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    Ya, at this point I say let Dante walk if he is asking for more than minimum salary. He has potential, but you can't drain resources on a someone that gets hurt every time he plays. I would love to keep him, but like I said, anything more than minimum is a nope for me. Hopefully Mitchell can stay healthy, I've never seen a rookie like this for Utah either, and he excites me this year!!
    Dante will get a much higher contract than that. Embiid has played fewer games than Dante and he was extended at Max. Jabari Parker has had similar injury issues and he will get a max contract. Elite talent is rare enough that people are willing to take risks on them.

I understand people have been disappointed with Dante, and he has developed slower than we would have liked because of injuries. But he still has the potential to be a special talent. How many PGs in the NBA have the ability to defend SFs like he can? He gets into the paint at will and as he continues to develop his decision making, that will be extremely valuable.

He will be a restricted free agent in a market that does not have alot of money. Someone will offer him a contract and the Jazz will match it, but it will be much more than the minimum. Not a max, but still a substantial contract.

he can't do anything if he's not on the floor, potential or not. let him go so he can fail to see the court in another jersey. it's worth the risk.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

There are a lot of mixed reactions to Exum. The truth is probably in the middle of everyone's strong opinions. I can see potential with Exum and he is still only 22 years old. He is going to get paid a lot more than the minimum.
    That said he still had some coach DNP's just last season for good reason. Yes he is fast, but if he can get to the basket "at will" he would average better than 6 points per game. Exum has never dominated on a consistent basis.

The Jazz as an organization believe in Exum. I trust Dennis and Quinn to make the right decision. This organization will take a chance on him because we need an unexpected player to be great. What do we have to loose. We have to take some risks. Exum will be a restricted free agent and we will be able to match any reasonable offer. I don't see another team throwing huge dollars at an injury prone player with too much to prove. I'll bet he signs a prove it contract for $10 -12 million per year.

I for one am glad a deal with Hood didn't get done. That keeps the pressure on him. He needs to show he can stay healthy and shoot more consistently before a big pay day. Just because we lost Hayward doesn't mean we need to make a desperate signing. Cap space will be very valuable this summer.