Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by leftie5 View Post
    Seems like the international scouting violations were the public reason given for Coppy's resignation, but obviously a lot more going on as well. Hart is just as responsible since he was supposedly working side by side with him for a while, that is if he got away from the golf course.

Many teams are employing similar tactics in international scouting, but since other execs seemed to have disliked Coppy so much I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone outside the organization in addition to the internal strife that caused the downfall.

Seems like Dayton Moore is a name thrown around, but the good news is it should be an appealing job in some regards. I just don't know if I fully trust Hart making the decision. Liberty Media owns the Braves but don't even have an interest in the games and view them as an asset. Maybe Schuerholz will have a little more influence or a new outside voice would be better for the organization.
    I agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I'd like Hart to stay on more than I'd like Dayton Moore to come here. I like Moore, but he hasn't really done well with the Royals the last two seasons.
    Yeah, Moore seems like the obvious choice because he's well respected and knows a bunch of guys in the Braves FO, but I'm not excited about his resume, in his 12 years as GM for the Royals he's made the playoffs twice, fair enough he won a WS so he deserve a ton of credit for that, but that KC team consisted on low OBP guys who were clutch as hell and had an amazing bullpen.

In 12 years, the best pitcher he has drafted and develop is Danny Duffy (Yordano Ventura might have become something but sadly we never know) that's terrible. The FO doesn't want a fresh face in the position because they want a respectable one but Moore doesn't excite me at all, he's given his fair share of bad contracts to mediocre starters like Gil Meche and Jeremy Guthrie so he doesn't look like a guy who is a good fit for a team that future depends on starting pitching prospects.

Dan Jennings has been mentioned as the 2nd choice. What's his resume look like?
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Dan Jennings has been mentioned as the 2nd choice. What's his resume look like?
    As a GM? Not enough data, he was Marlins GM for like a year. He's a scouting guru though.

I'm starting to really like Doug Harris.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...3d3_story.html

That's from 2015^ and it talks about everyone loves him and how good he is at what he does and that he should land a GM job soon. He did get cancer so that held him up but seems he beat it.

“He’d be a very strong candidate if you look at the next wave of general manager candidates,” said Atlanta Braves President John Hart, who was the Texas Rangers’ general manager when Harris was a scout there. “This guy has such tremendous character and [a] great family. He brings a field background and scouting background into everything. He understands the whole analytics and creative pieces. But he also has really good feel for players and the game.”
    Quote in there from Hart himself. It might be Hart wanting Harris and Schuerholz wanting Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I'm starting to really like Doug Harris.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...3d3_story.html

That's from 2015^ and it talks about everyone loves him and how good he is at what he does and that he should land a GM job soon. He did get cancer so that held him up but seems he beat it.

Quote in there from Hart himself. It might be Hart wanting Harris and Schuerholz wanting Moore.
    If Harris is the guy that's going to continue to build on what Copy has done and add great prospects without trading away our near major league stars? As well as add the Vers we need on good contracts? I'm all in. I just don't want someone to come in and trade away our best prospects for players who will only help us for a season or two. J.S. is getting older and I'm sure he wants to win as soon as possible, so I'm more likely to be opposed to who he wants! I want the long term fix that see's Acuna, Allard, Albies, Maitan, Pache, Swanson, Waters, among others become All-Stars in Braves uniforms!

mlbbowman
    If Hart does stay in his position, Nats asst. GM Doug Harris will be a top candidate to become the Braves GM

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    mlbbowman
    I read there is still kind of a power struggle going on. John Schuerholz wants that Moore from KC to not only be the guy but, also to mentor Schuerholz's son, who is an up and comer front office guy but, Moore wants full control and Hart doesn't want to give up his position.

RIP Gene Wilder

Schuerholz might want him but from what DOB says he doesn't have the power anymore in his current position. But does hold alot of influence in that FO though.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/a...s0qW2KThAl5FJ/

Maybe a big reason why we could not get any good deals done this year with are vets? Had to wait till the last trading day to deal Brandon Phillips who was playing pretty well before that.

This sounds like a very convenient excuse to me. That there is a bigger reason for firing him, but wanted an excuse.
    Shame, but this happens when you fly close to the sun in personality terms. I hope there isn't some false backroom allegations made, as seems to happen these days whenever someone is fired.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    This sounds like a very convenient excuse to me. That there is a bigger reason for firing him, but wanted an excuse.
    Shame, but this happens when you fly close to the sun in personality terms. I hope there isn't some false backroom allegations made, as seems to happen these days whenever someone is fired.
    Thank you, everything being said about Coppy right now should be taken with a grain of salt, it's easy to kick someone when he's down. This whole thing is just an excuse to fire him.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Thank you, everything being said about Coppy right now should be taken with a grain of salt, it's easy to kick someone when he's down. This whole thing is just an excuse to fire him.
    Guys like that always seem to fall to "allegations" when someone is offended. I'm not surprised.

No Cryin' In Baseball - Please Read and Follow -

https://nocryininbaseball.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/nocryinbball

Did anyone hear his in-game radio interview in like August? I forget which series or anything but I was tuned in to Powell and Sutton and they talked to Coppy for a couple innings (it must have been around the trade deadline).

Dude was really off-putting. He put a lot of blame on players, called out certain players by name, and generally rubbed you the wrong way. I get being disappointed that you were below .500 but calling out the team and players on-air when everyone knew the team wouldn't compete this season was pretty cheap. Plus his demeanor only sheds light on how much his colleagues likely disliked him - just seemed like a skeevy dude.

I like a lot of his trades but honestly tearing down an organization is no where near as difficult as building a winner. Maybe he'll continue and be a great exec but he has a lot of people skills to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Did anyone hear his in-game radio interview in like August? I forget which series or anything but I was tuned in to Powell and Sutton and they talked to Coppy for a couple innings (it must have been around the trade deadline).

Dude was really off-putting. He put a lot of blame on players, called out certain players by name, and generally rubbed you the wrong way. I get being disappointed that you were below .500 but calling out the team and players on-air when everyone knew the team wouldn't compete this season was pretty cheap. Plus his demeanor only sheds light on how much his colleagues likely disliked him - just seemed like a skeevy dude.

I like a lot of his trades but honestly tearing down an organization is no where near as difficult as building a winner. Maybe he'll continue and be a great exec but he has a lot of people skills to learn.
    I didn't hear that interview but I do recall after the season he was calling out certain players by name. He said something along the lines of this season we were giving innings to guys like Newcomb instead of guys like Joel De La Cruz. He mentioned a group of guys like that. I got the point he was trying to make but he was throwing guys under the bus. I don't agree with calling out guys like that. He didn't need to say names.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State