Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Braves GM Coppolella resigns amid MLB probe

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-signing-rules

Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella, who oversaw the construction of baseball's top-rated farm system, was forced to resign Monday after an investigation by Major League Baseball revealed serious rules violations in the international player market.

The Braves announced Coppolella's resignation Monday, citing a "breach of Major League Baseball rules regarding the international player market." Gordon Blakeley, a special assistant to the GM who was the team's international scouting chief, also has resigned.

Coppolella's surprising resignation came just two years and one day after he was promoted to GM and signed a four-year contract. John Hart, the Braves' president of baseball operations, will perform GM duties until the team hires a replacement for Coppolella.

Sources confirmed to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that multiple team executives have filed complaints with the commissioner's office recently over Coppolella's conduct, and that MLB is investigating Coppolella for a number of infractions in areas beyond the international realm.

One source told Crasnick that the breach of etiquette regarding the international player market could be just "the tip of the iceberg." Yahoo! Sports, which first reported the scope of the investigation Monday, also reported that the probe includes Atlanta's domestic draft practices.
    Surprising I haven't heard of any probe. Anyone else have any insight?

The Lost Boys of PSD

Saw it reported on Twitter earlier, MLB kept this thing strictly under wraps. Also odd that it seemed they waited to the end of the season for this, especially since it may detract from the playoff games.

There had been rumors of a power struggle in the FO like a month ago and I wonder if this was part of the reason for it. If we end up losing Kevin Maitan though... man I'll be pissed even if he doesn't pan out.

Sounds like definite suspicion in the signing of Maitan.

Personally I was shocked they were able to wrangle him so easily, what with the state of their organization. Just didn't seem like a truly desirable destination unless outrageous financial commitments were made. I dunno, gotta let it play out and see what's revealed but that's my initial thoughts on it.

Coppolella and the Braves allegedly agreed to a deal this summer with 14-year-old Haitian Dominican shortstop prospect Robert Puason, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. As Rosenthal points out, Puason isnít eligible to sign until heís 16, so the Braves are in violation if they did indeed reach an agreement with him. But the league is also investigating other teams for agreeing to sign underage prospects, per Rosenthal. One international scouting director informed him that up to 15 clubs have reached deals with players who, like Puason, arenít allowed to sign until 2019. Keith Law of ESPN adds (on Twitter) that there are some prospects who canít sign until 2020 but already have verbal agreements with teams. The current international setup has led to frustration from baseball officials, meaning there will be another attempt to institute a worldwide draft after the collective bargaining agreement expires in 2021, Rosenthal writes.

As for Maitan, Rosenthal relays that MLB hasnít found any improprieties in his signing to this point, though that could change.
    So as of now it seems Maitan signing is ok right now but could change still. It seems to be other things they are looking into like this possible underage agreement. Rosenthal says up to 15 teams could be effected by this investigation.

Ok nm then

Latest On Braves Investigation: ďUnprecedentedĒ Violations

The investigation into apparent international signing violations by the Braves has already claimed the jobs of GM John Coppolella and special assistant Gordon Blakely, but the investigation is still ongoing. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has a lengthy update (subscription required and recommended) on the matter, citing sources that tell him the teamís ďviolations are unprecedented in scope

Even as the Atlanta organization weighs its next steps, which will necessarily include a replacement for Coppolella and others, the league continues to dig. Thereís no evidence to this point that president of baseball operations John Hart had knowledge or involvement in the transgressions, per Rosenthal, though he also hasnít yet had his sit-down with investigators.
    -- mlbtr

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...iolations.html
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

What are the chances of some sort of "death penalty" for the Braves organization? I also find it hard to believe that Hart knew nothing about any of this

I take it they aren't going to release the findings until after the WS.

To the death penalty side of things, I can't imagine such a drastic choice.

The White Sox survived their scandal. You can't punish the fans and the rest of the organization for the stupidity of a few executives.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    What are the chances of some sort of "death penalty" for the Braves organization? I also find it hard to believe that Hart knew nothing about any of this
    We can probably start with...

1. if international free agents were signed in violation against baseball's rules, they will become free agents.
    2. limitations on future IFA signings.
    3. $ Fine

Don't think this would be a "death penalty". Not sure what else MLB could throw at them.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool