Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 146 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    The cards are looking to dangle piscotty/Grichuk this off-season and I was curious if there is a fit. I think either of them would be an improvement for your OF if they get consistent playing time.

Pitching is the main question mark for STL but Iím not sure there are pitchers SF can afford to give up that STL would want.

I also thought that Panik would be good for STL if they move Wong (thatís a different topic for the cards though).

Thoughts? Does anyone think there could be a match here?

I saw Grichuk was available but I hope we have no interest in him, especially for Panik.

He has power that we covet, but his on base ability has been horrid and strikes out a ton.

Piscotty, however, is appealing. Though I see them acquiring a center fielder and not so much a corner outfielder since Span is moving to left and we still have Pence.

Yeah Piscotty would hurt to lose. But if the deal was right, i wouldn't be opposed to sending him your way.

he had some personal issues with his mom being diagnosed with ALS this spring and wasn't the same players we saw in 2015 and 2016. I think he holds a lot of value still, and has a super team friendly deal if he returns to form, and i think he would be perfect fit for you guys. I believe his family lives in San Francisco anyway so it may be perfect for him.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I can see KNBR callers calling him that.

The two players I am hoping we can get to play CF - Christian Yelich (Marlins) or Billy Hamilton (Reds). I can live with either these two in the OF in AT&T.

Billy Hamilton has the speed to play CF Defense and can probably save more runs than anything. His bat isn't something I would say is the best but if he could learn to walk he would be a major threat on the base-paths.

Christian Yelich has played CF for the Marlins and is considered an adequate defender. His bat is improving and I think he can have 200+ hits. I think his max output for HR will probably be 20 but I rather have him as a good bat in the lineup.

I am really trying to think of an under the radar type of player Sabean/Evans would target. Like Melky Cabrera in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by PatelJ1010 View Post
    The two players I am hoping we can get to play CF - Christian Yelich (Marlins) or Billy Hamilton (Reds). I can live with either these two in the OF in AT&T.

Billy Hamilton has the speed to play CF Defense and can probably save more runs than anything. His bat isn't something I would say is the best but if he could learn to walk he would be a major threat on the base-paths.

Christian Yelich has played CF for the Marlins and is considered an adequate defender. His bat is improving and I think he can have 200+ hits. I think his max output for HR will probably be 20 but I rather have him as a good bat in the lineup.

I am really trying to think of an under the radar type of player Sabean/Evans would target. Like Melky Cabrera in 2012.
    Yelich would be a nice get, but I don't see why the Marlins would trade him since he's so affordable and it'd take quite a bit to get him that I don't think we have.

Hamilton doesn't excite me at all. His speed and defense are great, but that bat is just awful. If he could keep up a respectable OBP I'd be all in, but a career .298 OBP. No bueno.

I've been trying to think of an under the radar player myself. Could be Piscotty coming off the down year, but then again he's not a CF.

Gillaspie and Moncrief have elected free agency.

If I'm Evans this offseason, here are my top priorities in order: 1.) Outfield 2.) Third Base 3.) Add a fourth or fifth starter 4.) Bullpen help 5.) Backup catcher or re-sign Hundly

Now, obviously the Giants don't have enough money or resources to get all of those things done, so I think the main focus should be improving the outfield. If both Pence and Span are starting, we're in trouble.

So, if I'm Evans I'd make these steps:
    1.) Trade for Giancarlo Stanton - we need an elite power hitter and someone who excites Giants fans again. Since his contract is so astronomical, the asking price won't be too hefty. Maybe a package of Law or Strickland, and two of the Giants top 10 prospects. I can't imagine that any team is going to trade away their future and take on that contract at the same time.
    2.) Sign a centerfielder who can cover some ground -- Lorenzo Cain is probably the most expensive option. Some alternatives (who we may be able to get on a 1-2 year and more affordable contract) are Carlos Gomez and Austin Jackson.
    3.) At that point, we've probably hit our cap for how much we can spend this offseason, and will have to cross our fingers that a Sandoval/Arroyo thirdbase platoon will produce. If the Giants score an affordable CF contract, than there's a slight shot at getting an outside thirdbaseman, but I see the chances as slim.
    4.) Prey for all the other pieces to come together. As much as I want to not rely on Moore & Beede/Stratton for our fourth and fifth starters, we'll just have to see how they do. The rotation will stay as is. Aside from maybe signing one bullpen arm, I think the Giants will re-sign Hundly because there are very few good backup catchers on the market.

With those changes, the team could actually look like a contender:

1. Lorenzo Cain / Austin Jackson / Carlos Gomez CF
    2. Panik 2B
    3. Stanton RF
    4. Posey C
    5. Belt 1B
    6. Pence LF
    7. Crawford SS
    8. Arroyo (and Sandoval) 3B

Bench: Hundly, Sandoval, Tomlinson, Slater, Parker

1. Bumgarner
    2. Cuento
    3. Shark
    4. Moore
    5. Beede/Stratton

Bullpen: Melancon, Strickland, Okert, Osich, Gearrin, Blach

Well there's a blast from the past.

Hate to be a Debbie downer... thereís no way we get Stanton. If we do...this was his first injury free season. Heíll be hurt 3/4 of his Giants career, better off trading the house for Ozuna. But thatís what Jeter will ask for. Iím hoping for Yelich, who is probably too expensive also. Iíd be happy with Piscotty.

Yeah I don't see any Marlin coming here.

Nor do I.

Think Javy Baez is a pipe dream? Cubs are gonna trade someone, donít know if theyíd want any of the Giants. Maybe SP after Arietta leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeWalker View Post
    Think Javy Baez is a pipe dream? Cubs are gonna trade someone, donít know if theyíd want any of the Giants. Maybe SP after Arietta leaves.
    Don't think they trade Baez. Think they'll try and unload Russell, Happ/Swarber.

Page 5 of 146 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast