Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Where did you see that the Giants are offering Beede?
    Kings

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Latest On Giancarlo Stanton: Talks Between Marlins, 4 Teams

The Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies are early contenders to put together a trade for Marlins superstar Giancarlo Stanton, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports (on Twitter). There has been “preliminary communication” regarding the right fielder between each of those teams and the Marlins, according to Morosi, who adds that talks are likely to “intensify” at next week’s general managers meetings.

With the Marlins primed to slash payroll under new owners Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter, Stanton stands out as their most obvious trade candidate. The 2017 major league home run king (59) and National League MVP finalist is owed either $295MM through 2028 or $77MM through 2020, depending on whether he exercises his opt-out clause. The amount of money left on the contract, the opt-out and Stanton’s full no-trade rights could combine to make a trade rather complicated. But the 27-year-old Stanton’s no-trade clause may not be a major hindrance, given that he is fed up with losing and would like to join a contender. The Marlins appear poised to embark on a lengthy rebuild, so it seems doubtful Stanton would stand in the way of a deal if he feels the acquiring team would give him a chance to play meaningful games into the fall – something he hasn’t done since bursting on the big league scene in 2010.

While the Marlins have never even posted an above-.500 season during Stanton’s eight-year career, the Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants have typically served as contenders during that span (though San Francisco’s coming off a major league-worst 68-win season). The Phillies, meanwhile, have finished toward the bottom of the NL East for five years running, but several of their young players showed progress in 2017, and the club figures to return to its high-spending ways when it’s officially ready to leave its own long rebuild behind. Stanton reportedly wasn’t willing to waive his NTC to go to Philadelphia as of late in the season, though, and it could also hurt the team’s cause that it shares a division with the Marlins, who would have to face the p.r. backlash of dealing the face of their franchise to a close rival.

As with the Phillies, there are reasons why a Stanton acquisition would and wouldn’t work for each of the other three suitors (and several other teams), as MLBTR’s Jeff Todd deftly laid out on Thursday. Regardless of whether the Marlins ultimately send him to one of the four front-runners or another club, the Stanton sweepstakes will go down as one of the most fascinating sagas of the offseason.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...s-4-teams.html

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    Where did you see that the Giants are offering Beede?
    That post is just speculation m. Marlins want young pitching in any package. So Beede fits that category which im fine with bc he is nothing special.

I’d trade beede for Stanton. Beede and more and eat the salary.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeWalker View Post
    I’d trade beede for Stanton. Beede and more and eat the salary.
    Boston and STL has more to offer than that. I think Stanton lands up in STL unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    Boston and STL has more to offer than that. I think Stanton lands up in STL unfortunately.
    It's not only what the Marlins can get...it is where Stanton will waive his no trade.
    Baseball has been very very good to me!

Giants Interested in Jackie Bradley Jr.

The Giants are interested in acquiring Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr., according to Jon Morosi of MLB Network (Twitter link). Bradley is one of “many” outfielders the Giants are eyeing, notes Morosi, who reported Friday that they have discussed right fielder Giancarlo Stanton with the Marlins.

The 27-year-old Bradley would be a much less exciting addition for San Francisco than Stanton, who’s a National League MVP finalist after bashing 59 home runs in 2017, but he’d nonetheless upgrade its outfield. The Giants’ starting center fielder for now is the 33-year-old Denard Span, who easily ranked last in the majors in Defensive Runs Saved (minus-27) and posted a similarly dreadful minus-7.5 Ultimate Zone Rating last season. Unsurprisingly, then, executive vice president of baseball operations Brian Sabean has identified center field as a position where the Giants must improve.

“Center field needs to be upgraded,” Sabean said this week.

Bradley would fit the bill from a defensive standpoint, having combined for 34 DRS and a 23.5 UZR in center dating back to 2014, his first full season. The lefty-swinger complemented his excellent glove work with terrific offense from 2015-16, slashing .262/.345/.489 with 36 home runs and a .227 ISO in 891 plate appearances, but his production in that department took a step back last season. In 541 trips to the plate, Bradley hit a disappointing .245/.323/.402 and saw his ISO plummet to .158. On the positive side, Bradley still went deep 17 times, and he ranked as one of the premier baserunners in the game for the second straight year, according to FanGraphs’ BsR metric.

While it’s unclear what the Giants would have to give up for Bradley, he’d presumably bring back a solid haul as someone who still has three years of arbitration eligibility remaining. He’s projected to earn an easily affordable $5.9MM in 2018, which surely appeals to a San Francisco club that already has approximately $170MM committed to 16 players for next season and is trying to stay under the $197MM luxury tax threshold. Conversely, the Red Sox are more than willing to spend upward of $197MM if it means improving their offense, which struggled in 2017. Dealing Bradley and acquiring a big-hitting outfielder like Stanton or free agent J.D. Martinez would help them do that.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...radley-jr.html

It's funny, I was JUSt thinking about this on Friday evening.

Boston needs a 1b. Belt is an affordable and cheaper option to Hosmer. Would Belt and salary relief get it done?

Red Sox fans, as usual, are overhyping JBJ and think he'd be the centerpiece to land Stanton. Don't understand why Miami would want JBJ when they have Ozuna and Yellich (also why trade one of those two to make room for Yellich.)

I think a Belt trade gets it done and helps SF lower payroll. Belt at 4 years/ 68 million >>> Hosmer at whatever Boras is going to ask for..

And Boston uses its cash to land J.D.
    Last edited by Lincecum4CY; 11-12-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    It's not only what the Marlins can get...it is where Stanton will waive his no trade.
    He wants out of Miami. He'll waive his no trade clause for anyone. That won't be an issue.

Belt for Bradley? I like Bradley, doesn’t really improve are offense. Probably makes us weaker.

I always thought belt would be a good fit in Boston or new York. It would open the door for shaw at 1st. Bradley in CF, span/pence LF, Slater RF or whoever else they pick up.

Pretty close on total value over the last three seasons and finding a quality CF is def tougher than finding a quality 1B. Plus Bradley is cheaper.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=12984,10264

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

That’s true. Boston can always buy another outfielder. Span would start in Left and Pence in right. Won’t be a platoon. Hopefully Slater steps in when they get injured.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeWalker View Post
    That’s true. Boston can always buy another outfielder. Span would start in Left and Pence in right. Won’t be a platoon. Hopefully Slater steps in when they get injured.
    Boston would only trade JBJ if they were getting another OF i.e. Stanton or JD

Quote Originally Posted by giants#25 View Post
    I always thought belt would be a good fit in Boston or new York. It would open the door for shaw at 1st. Bradley in CF, span/pence LF, Slater RF or whoever else they pick up.
    Same i think he would thrive on a deeper lineup. I also think he'd welcome a change and get out of SF.

Giants resign Hundley so they can sit Shaw against lefties (bc Bochy loves doing that) and play Posey at 1b.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast