Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 494
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    There isn't a team in the league that couldn't/wouldn't top that trade for Stanton. Especially when you add in Ozuna for basically free.
    Taking on a 300 million dollar contract, giving up 3 top 100 prospects, 2 that are major league ready, one of them looking to be a very good number 2/3 pitcher, another guy who (IMO better suited as a closer) could be a great closer in Alcantara, and a bat that has the potential to replace Stanton in RF and can use Grichuk out there until he's ready, which shouldn't take too long.

    I'm not so sure any other teams could do that. Ozuna is the main part of the trade here, taking on 300 million dollar contract frees them up.

    Weaver would instantly be their number 1 or 2 pitcher. Bader would instantly be their starting left fielder, O"Neill could very well be their starting RF also with Yelich in CF.

    Their infield is pretty solid, could probably use a 3B, which we very well could add in Wisdom.

    If they feel Alcantara can develop into a starter, they have 3 very good young starters by not this coming season but the following, with us giving them potentially 2 middle of the order bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,135
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    I wonder what the rules are for when Stanton has to give word regarding whether he is going to exercise that 2020 opt out. Can he say as of today that 2020 Opt Out is in effect and will be a FA or does he have to wait until after the 2019 season?

    I wonder if a team before acquiring Stanton will ask him to use his Opt Out clause only making it a 3 year deal if he is traded this offseason. That would most likely require giving Miami more prospects in this scenario if that is allowed. Could Miami give salary relief in any deal regarding Stanton as well? Could be worth it for them to throw in $2-3M a year to get that contract off their books. In any case it will take a haul to land him regardless of his contract. If it was me as GM, if they wanted a bunch of prospects they better be throwing some significant salary relief our way especially if Stanton does not opt out of his contract in 2020.

    As of now, he doesn't have to decide until after 2019. I'm sure teams out there would be willing to trade for him if he voided it because that means they know what they are getting for 10 years, while other teams would only trade for him if they KNEW he was going to opt out so they don't have the burden of his contract long term.

    That's all another reason why any stanton deal is so complicated.

    Any value given up for Stanton hinges on if he opts out or not. and if he doesn't, the value off what you give up reflects on the amount of money the Marlins are willing to eat. It's super complicated.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    If a team absorbs that whole contract, i really don't think whoever gets him will give up much for him. The contract is risky enough.

    If he were a free agent, i think he would easily get that 300mill/10 year contract from someone. But not at the expense of also giving up 3 or 4 of your better players/prospects.
    Well Weaver was the only top 100 spec offered in that deal, and it included getting Ozuna back as well.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49,891
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    I wonder what the rules are for when Stanton has to give word regarding whether he is going to exercise that 2020 opt out. Can he say as of today that 2020 Opt Out is in effect and will be a FA or does he have to wait until after the 2019 season?

    I wonder if a team before acquiring Stanton will ask him to use his Opt Out clause only making it a 3 year deal if he is traded this offseason. That would most likely require giving Miami more prospects in this scenario if that is allowed. Could Miami give salary relief in any deal regarding Stanton as well? Could be worth it for them to throw in $2-3M a year to get that contract off their books. In any case it will take a haul to land him regardless of his contract. If it was me as GM, if they wanted a bunch of prospects they better be throwing some significant salary relief our way especially if Stanton does not opt out of his contract in 2020.
    He can opt out as late as the 2019-2020 off-season. The trading team could acquire him and ask he waive that of course. He'd have to really want to go to that team though. That's his only leverage.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49,891
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Taking on a 300 million dollar contract, giving up 3 top 100 prospects, 2 that are major league ready, one of them looking to be a very good number 2/3 pitcher, another guy who (IMO better suited as a closer) could be a great closer in Alcantara, and a bat that has the potential to replace Stanton in RF and can use Grichuk out there until he's ready, which shouldn't take too long.

    I'm not so sure any other teams could do that. Ozuna is the main part of the trade here, taking on 300 million dollar contract frees them up.

    Weaver would instantly be their number 1 or 2 pitcher. Bader would instantly be their starting left fielder, O"Neill could very well be their starting RF also with Yelich in CF.

    Their infield is pretty solid, could probably use a 3B, which we very well could add in Wisdom.

    If they feel Alcantara can develop into a starter, they have 3 very good young starters by not this coming season but the following, with us giving them potentially 2 middle of the order bats.
    Weaver was the only top 100 spec in that offer.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...bBF6mdUcgTC.97

    If you remove Ozuna, it's probably more realistic.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Well Weaver was the only top 100 spec offered in that deal, and it included getting Ozuna back as well.
    I'm talking about acquiring Stanton only. I don't feel like giving up multiple prospects for his contract is worth it.

    That trade that Rapjuicer proposed was fine with me since it brought back Stanton AND Ozuna. If you go by midseason rankings, Weaver is definitely a top 100 guy and so is O'Neil and Bader on some sites. Alcantara is borderline as well. I would bet that they all creep onto the baseball america list you referenced once they update their rankings to their offseason form

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Weaver was the only top 100 spec in that offer.

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...bBF6mdUcgTC.97

    If you remove Ozuna, it's probably more realistic.
    http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=prospects

    Has Bader and O'Neill in there, as they should be.

    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=32224

    Has Alcantara in the top 50

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-quarter-mark

    Has O'Neil in it

    Basically its which one you look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    948
    Greg Holland declined his player option today. Now a Free Agent. Should have a lot of suitors. Cardinals better be one of them.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    29,197
    Whether we get Ozuna or not, I want Stanton on this team. We absolutely need him. I don't care if that's the only offseason move we do, That's one we have to.

    Personally, I think it'd be too much to give up more than O'Neill/Bader + Piscotty/Grichuk + Alcantara for him for the fact that he makes so much money. IF the Marlins were to eat some of that contract, then absolutely trade a bit more for him. Relieving the Marlins of that contract will help them with the rebuild and gaining young solid prospects in return obviously helps as well.

    Bader and O'Neill should both be in the top 100 this offseason. O'Neill has one of the biggest power bats in all the minor league systems and he plays a decent outfield. Bader has shown he can do it all as well. I wouldn't doubt if we have 6 or 7 prospects in the top 100.

    Reyes, Weaver, Kelly, Flaherty, O'Neill, Bader, Alcantara could all have a case made for them to be in it.

    I truly think we have a very solid farm system. But we have way too many outfielders, and to trade 2 or 3 of them to get the premier power bat in MLB, you have to do that when there are 3 others still in your farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,135
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Greg Holland declined his player option today. Now a Free Agent. Should have a lot of suitors. Cardinals better be one of them.
    Yeah he interests me depending on the price. I’m sure they’ll reach out

    He’ll be 32, 1.5 years removed from TJS, and had an AWFUL August and September. However, he was lights out the first half of the year and a big reason the Rockies got a WC spot.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    948
    https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...70138408030208

    Should always take Nightengale with a grain of salt but a no brainer to see if we can land Holland. Wouldn't be surprised if we finished second in the running again. I forgot that Boras was his agent so this could get pricey. Any other closers via FA or trade that can be an option for the Cardinals that people would like to see happen?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,135
    Free agents

    Steve Cishek is available again. I wouldn't mind seeing what his price is going to be. I'm still pissed we kept Broxton instead of him. I'm not 100% sold on him closing but he's a possibility.

    Wade Davis is Greg Holland 2.0.... except a little better. Gonna be expensive

    Tony Watson - not a shut down closer by any means but better than most of the guys we got

    Juan Nicaso - i hope we resign him




    Closers we can trade for

    Brad Hand - one of the better relievers in the game and has 2 years of control left. Would require a significant prospect or 2 to get him

    Brad Ziegler - he was awful this year with the Marlins but he's owed 8 million or so. I can see the Marlins giving him away for peanuts (especially if he's included in a bigger deal... wink wink).

    Zach Britton - Probably available at the trade deadline, not now though.

    Kelvin Herrera - The royals offseason is going to be crazy. He'll be a part of the craziness

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    948
    Roberto Osuna, Alex Colome, and Arodys Vizcaino could be potential trade options as well.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,135
    Oh yeah. i'd love Osuna if the blue jays decide to sell

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    29,197
    Bring him over with Donaldson.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •